Pages: | 1 | 2 |
runtherockies
RE: Anybody make a 100% recovery from a L5-S1 nerve compression? 6/4/2009 5:31PM - in reply to Composed and Compressed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Composed,

I guess I just assumed you had pain but from what I understand, everyone is different. Two people suffering from the same bulged disc could have different symptoms. The book deals with lower back pain and in regard to the exercises (more like stretches actually) part of what they do is help get the disc back in place so it takes pressure off the nerve. I definitely think for $15.00 it is worth a shot. Some of the people in the reviews on Amazon report an instant lessening of symptoms. Since you are under the care of a doc or PT, you might want to ask them first what they think for your situation.
Composed and Compressed
RE: Anybody make a 100% recovery from a L5-S1 nerve compression? 6/4/2009 9:42PM - in reply to runtherockies Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
@ runtherockies, thanks for the follow-up. yeah, it seems there is quite a variety of symptoms from impingement on the nerve root ranging from extreme pain, to loss of power, to drop foot, etc. in all cases, running is hampered. looks like i'm in for a long haul.

hope everyone will take care of their back! seems we have it pretty good, most of us, considering how much stress we put our back through by running.

i hope ALMOST DOC posts on this thread again. i would be curious to hear what he has to saw about the lack of pain, and possibility for full restoration of performance--and also any insight he might have about microdistecomy.

here's to all of us recovering our stride! cheers!
Shutterfly
RE: Anybody make a 100% recovery from a L5-S1 nerve compression? 6/4/2009 10:27PM - in reply to Composed and Compressed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I haven't had this specific injury so I can't comment although it looks like you've gotten some good feedback. I just wanted to say good luck in your recovery.

fwiw, I had a herniated disk (C6-totally different) about 5 years ago and was able to make a full recovery. It took about 6 months for the majority of the pain to dissipate and was I think fully, fully healed definitely within 18 months. I found that once the pain subsided that yoga really helped to improve range of motion.

In my personal experience (with the herniation and another nerve injury), nerve regeneration has taken about 18 months. ymmv. Good luck.
Composed and Compressed
S1 radiculopathy 7/9/2009 7:23PM - in reply to Shutterfly Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Okay, an update. My EMG indicated chronic nerve issues at L5-S1 and possible tarsal tunnel syndrome as an explanation for the loss of power in my foot and lower leg.

Just got back from a neurologist, and it turns out to my surprise, that the condition I have is S1 radiculopathy, which means the nerve root at S1 is not firing to the gastroc. So, I had some sensation in the foot, but was able to sometimes stand on my toes, but during walking or running, or for flat-footed toe raises, getting power to left my heel was just about impossible. The reason is the gastroc is what is doing the majority of the work. Colloquially, this is a pinched nerve condition, so I'm taking a table steriod and another medication, which has only a slim chance of working. I'm not exactly sure what the next step is since the neurologist is writing up his report which I presume the orthopedist is going to review in designing the next treatment step.

I am relieved to know precisely what my issue was, but it was odd, to me, that the problem all along with the loss of power was not in the foot at all, although during stride it felt like it, but was instead the gastroc not doing it's job of producing power and push off 'independently' of the foot.

Now, anyone know anything about S1 radiculopathy treatment/pinched nerve treatment?
skiptoo
RE: S1 radiculopathy 7/9/2009 9:03PM - in reply to Composed and Compressed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think all the previous advice still holds because the basic problem is that you have a bulging disc. Sounds like they've now figured out that the nerve compression is in fact responsible for your foot symptoms. Something to keep in mind is that the pain and symptoms may go away over time, if you take it easy and do your PT, but the structural problem is still there. What you can get away with after strengthening muscles etc depends on how bad the disc damage is. Be careful...you can turn a bulge into an extrusion (ruptured disc wall where the "jelly" comes out) just by stretching wrong. Talk to your doc about the kind of lifestyle you want to lead and take it from there.
Obamageddon
RE: Anybody make a 100% recovery from a L5-S1 nerve compression? 7/9/2009 10:48PM - in reply to Composed and Compressed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ditto on the epidurals. Taking the pressure off the nerve can help A LOT...
Composed and Compressed
RE: S1 radiculopathy 7/10/2009 1:47AM - in reply to skiptoo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i'm taking methylprednisolone 4mg (21 tablets over 7 days total) which I understand to be a corticosteroid--this prescription is from the neurologist. next week I'm meeting with the orthopedist who is authorizing epidurals. hope all this medication helps.

the whole 'jelly' leakage is pretty alarming. it sounds like the buldge and damage therefrom is pretty serious and permanent and that it won't heal completely (ie, it's chronic and i'll have to deal with it forever--this sucks since i'm still relatively young, mid 30s). it's kind of strange to think of jelly leakage!

skiptoo wrote:

I think all the previous advice still holds because the basic problem is that you have a bulging disc. Sounds like they've now figured out that the nerve compression is in fact responsible for your foot symptoms. Something to keep in mind is that the pain and symptoms may go away over time, if you take it easy and do your PT, but the structural problem is still there. What you can get away with after strengthening muscles etc depends on how bad the disc damage is. Be careful...you can turn a bulge into an extrusion (ruptured disc wall where the "jelly" comes out) just by stretching wrong. Talk to your doc about the kind of lifestyle you want to lead and take it from there.
Cincinnati
RE: S1 radiculopathy 7/10/2009 7:52AM - in reply to Composed and Compressed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 7 months out from surgery (L5/S1) after it herniated and a fragment broke off and was pressing the nerve. That resulted in numbness in my foot and inability to walk properly (couldn't do a toe raise). Not to mention the pain, worst I've ever experienced. I don't think they would have operated except for the fragment having broken off causing the loss of function in my foot.

The good news is that in the big picture I'm doing well. Had gotten back to within 10 sec/mile of my "normal" 5K six months after surgery. Short term, I probably over did it and my back has been pretty sore. Stopped running 10 days ago and it is back to feeling relatively normal. Going to try an easy 3 miles tomorrow and see how it responds.

Hope things turn out well for you. Back pain in no fun.
LA_runner_chick
RE: Anybody make a 100% recovery from a L5-S1 nerve compression? 7/27/2012 4:03PM - in reply to Composed and Compressed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey Mr. Composed and Compressed:

I know this post is quite old; I'm finding it because I'm researching the same set of symptoms you have. I'm wondering what treatment you got, how you fared, etc.
voiceofreason
RE: S1 radiculopathy 7/27/2012 4:21PM - in reply to Composed and Compressed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Many people live pain free and active with bulging and herniated discs. I am a chiropractor and i am one of them. My L4 disc was nadly herniated in 2004 but i have not had issues since. Most of the leg pain people get without weakness can be attributed to swelling, hence rhe need for antiinflammatories like a dose oack or epidural. I guess you are doing the oral steroids first. Epidural would be next option if i were you. Unless you have a sequestered fragment, i would try to avoid surgery at all costs. Inversion therapy, traction, and spinal decompression are all treatments that can help (in ordee of increasing expense).Spinal stabilization exercises are a must for long term prognosis. Once you start to lose motor function adjustments probably won't help much. I just don't want you to get it too much in your head that you will deal with it for the rest of your life because there is a good chance that in time you will forget all about it.
therock40
RE: Anybody make a 100% recovery from a L5-S1 nerve compression? 6/2/2013 11:50PM - in reply to ocx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hello, I have read your post during my search about my health issue, I noticed that your it's been a long time since your post and I am wondering how is your recovery now? Did the foot drop regained full function again I hope? I am having now a similar situation for since 25-03-2013 and the MRI showed a herniated disk at L4-L5 and L5-S1 but not to a level that require surgery but I am had strong pain in my left leg now the pain is less than before but still having difficulty raising my toes of left feet and swinging it outside to the left side.. I still feel pain in my left foot under the knee to the ankle area.. and I can't yet walk on my heels of my left foot.. so please write me an e-mail thelight2007@gmail.com about your progress and what did you do fot it.. thank you!
Marathon ....
RE: S1 radiculopathy 1/2/2014 10:08PM - in reply to Composed and Compressed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Composed and compressed. I have exactly the issue you described and similar tests. I am in the process of going to back surgeons for their take. I am still competitive but also don't want to risk normalcy by continuing to pound the pavement should I get the foot drop to go way. Any update on your situation and treatments?
Tracey
RE: Anybody make a 100% recovery from a L5-S1 nerve compression? 3/6/2014 4:42PM - in reply to Composed and Compressed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had a microdiscetomy in 2009 after many months of excruciating pain from a prolapsed disc.It improved the pain for a few years yet here we are in 2014 with pain and Ive just had an MRI that says there is post-op changes to L5-S1 where the bone has moved to the left side and potential compression. The pain this time is not as severe as before but some days its still hard to walk.I have found that medication never relieves the pain, just sends the head silly.I have been on endone, oxycontin,lyrica, endep (not all at same time).I walk alot in my work, aged care,but find when I go home after work and sit down, all the nerves in my left legs just jump around like crazy. Nearly sends me crazy sometimes :(. I have a work colleague who has had spinal fusion and he still has pain every day.I hope you can resolve your problem without surgery and I shall try a few of the exercises on here with the hope for improvement without more surgery.
kennyroe
RE: Anybody make a 100% recovery from a L5-S1 nerve compression? 7/23/2014 1:25AM - in reply to Composed and Compressed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi there just read post from 2009 asI am having exact same symtoms, hope you recovered fully and if so any advice for me ,thanks ....ps mri confirms compression on l4/5 s1 root ...cant even do brisk walk ,,jogging or running absolutley impossible ..Thanks ..ken
Pages: | 1 | 2 |

Running

CEP Compression Socks
Satisfaction Guaranteed
30 Day No Questions Asked Return Policy
Free Shipping

Running Socks on the Left, Soccer on the Right
Read About the Science Behind These Socks Here

Soccer