wefefak
Did you have to fast before your wisdom teeth were pulled? 5/25/2009 8:42PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was planning on getting up and doing an easy hour run before my surgery at 10:15 AM. Obviously something in my stomach before and/or after would be nice. People are now telling me I need to fast for 6 hours before hand, but my dentist mentioned nothing. Anyone have their wisdom teeth pulled and not have to fast?
Mrs. M
RE: Did you have to fast before your wisdom teeth were pulled? 5/25/2009 8:54PM - in reply to wefefak Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If your dentist didn't mention it, chances are you don't have to - I don't recall having to fast prior to all 4 of my wisdoms coming out at once, and I was put under anesthetic.
Trader Joe
RE: Did you have to fast before your wisdom teeth were pulled? 5/25/2009 8:56PM - in reply to wefefak Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you are just getting local anesthetic or oral sedation, you are usually allowed to eat a light breakfast the morning of the surgery. However, if you are getting IV sedation like I had, you are supposed to fast 8 hours before the surgery to prevent any post-op nausea.
wefefak
RE: Did you have to fast before your wisdom teeth were pulled? 5/25/2009 9:12PM - in reply to Trader Joe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm getting the IV. I'll just run and eat after.
lohalloran
RE: Did you have to fast before your wisdom teeth were pulled? 5/25/2009 9:12PM - in reply to wefefak Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It depends what they are going to use, but basically the worry is that if they knock you out you cannot manage your own airway and are at risk for aspirating your own vomit if the meds mess with your stomach during the surgery. If you are getting a general anasthetic you usually aren't allowed to eat or even drink after midnight the night before. If you drink even a sip of water some docs will turn you away because if its on record that you told them you had eaten/drank and you choke to death mid surgery they are going to be screwed.

That your doctor didn't tell you anything could mean they plan on using a local? I would err on the side of caution and not eat though.
Zen Master
RE: Did you have to fast before your wisdom teeth were pulled? 5/25/2009 9:14PM - in reply to wefefak Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Take it easy on surgery day. There are other days to run. Be kind to your body, it will have enough recovery to do without adding a run in. (And yes I saw you said "easy", but still).
Trader Joe
RE: Did you have to fast before your wisdom teeth were pulled? 5/25/2009 9:21PM - in reply to lohalloran Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
lohalloran, there is a huge difference between IV sedation and general anesthesia. The latter is used in very rare instances, and IV sedation is merely that - sedation. Despite common misconception, you aren't "knocked out" usually, but rather the drugs have an amnesic effect and also make it seem as though time passes quickly. This is why most people don't remember the surgery, and assume they were asleep during it.
jerkstore
RE: Did you have to fast before your wisdom teeth were pulled? 5/26/2009 4:11AM - in reply to Trader Joe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I remember requesting just novacane and nitrus. It was much better than dealing with the effects of getting put under. I love nitrus, so it was actually pretty interesting. If you can deal with the sounds and the tugging sensations, I would go this route. No pain and easier immediate recovery.