twitchy
Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/23/2009 4:15PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My calf muscles seem to have lots of small twitches. not painfull just a little worrying. anyone else have this? Im 22 yrs old male - if this helps?
hydration
RE: Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/23/2009 4:39PM - in reply to twitchy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are you well hydrated?
en em ess be here now
RE: Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/23/2009 5:34PM - in reply to twitchy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, I get that a lot especially after long races. I'm also susceptible to calf cramps, usually in bed.

I've not figured out how to eliminate the muscle twitches (which I see - they look pretty gruesome - but don't usually feel). For me it doesn't seem to be hydration or any lack of electrolytes (take in plenty; have tried magnesium / calcium supplements in the past).

For the calf cramps I gotta keep up with stretching. It helps to wear low-heeled shoes, and a little self-massage is good too. But even then I get the postrace calf twitching.
The Rocket.
RE: Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/23/2009 9:11PM - in reply to twitchy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Probably a series of misfires. Drink more water and gatorade. Also you may need some rest.
seebelcherrun
RE: Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/23/2009 9:56PM - in reply to The Rocket. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Have you tried massage? The stick works well.
twitchy
RE: Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/24/2009 2:19PM - in reply to The Rocket. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ive had a extra rest days on top of scheduled rest day. The twitches seem to go away with time off...but are worse the first few days back?
Who cares, why bother
RE: Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/24/2009 5:31PM - in reply to twitchy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
For years, when running competively, I would look at my calves when sitting down and notice what looked like worms traveling around under the skin. Never figured out what it was. I was well hydrated but would have liked to have had massage therapy on a regular basis. For a 5'10' 145# distance guy with 15 1/2" calves and chronic calf problems the shoes & medical help available today would've extended my running career.

Try regular massage therapy first and then, maybe, anti-seizure meds. The muscle neurons are firing uncontrollably for some reason.
midwaste
RE: Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/24/2009 5:52PM - in reply to twitchy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
benign fasciculations, I have 'em, have had them for quite a while now. They seem to flare up more after hard efforts. I don't think anyone knows a whole lot about them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_fasciculation_syndrome
twitchy
RE: Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/25/2009 4:53AM - in reply to Who cares, why bother Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
did it lead to much fatigue? or did you just carry on as normal? thanks for all the help. Little worried but not sure if its cause to see a doc
Brett in Tokyo
RE: Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/25/2009 5:08AM - in reply to twitchy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I get those a lot too. I haven't noticed them to have any connection to hydration etc.
common
RE: Twitches in CALF MUSCLE? ANYONE? 4/25/2009 5:47AM - in reply to twitchy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

twitchy wrote:

did it lead to much fatigue? or did you just carry on as normal? thanks for all the help. Little worried but not sure if its cause to see a doc

midwaste nailed it. Nothing to worry about, though you can see a doc if you like. I have had this for over 15 years, and it has never caused any problems directly. The calves get more active after a long run or hard workout. I thought I got more cramps and calf injuries than the average person because of the fasciculations, but over time I've come to realize that isn't true. The cramps and injuries were caused by a lack of strength and overuse, just like anyone with 'normal' muscles. Once I established a good base, I stopped having problems...but the calves kept on twitching.

If you do see a doc, and they have never heard of this before, they may want to do a few simple tests for various neuromuscular problems like MS. Don't be alarmed. Most doctors have not seen anything like this, and often think it's symptomatic of something worse when they see your calves jumping around.