Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
RuKiddingME!!
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/26/2012 5:57PM - in reply to mjyk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lived in 11 states (From Illinois), AS a Military man I was treated best in Texas! Texas people are most approchable, friendly, and down earth people I have come accross during my travels. Plus: The women there, especially the pretty ones are some of nicest people I have ever met. Coming home to Illinois was a big downer...sure miss Texas!
sanjit singh
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/26/2012 7:36PM - in reply to Love Texas Too Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Love Texas Too wrote:

Texas is a great cultural mix, a vital melting pot ...
My friend, I must disagree with you. I went to San Antonio for a few days. It was alright, but probably the best thing was the weather. I said to my new friends, guys, this weather is perfect for cricket. You could play cricket all day and all night. But after that they didn't speak to me very much. So it was a lonely time. I decided to go back home to New York after that.
kudzurunner
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/26/2012 9:42PM - in reply to Dumbfounded Transplant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Because there's a whole lot of there there, and most of them have never been anywhere else. Why drive for six hours to visit another state?

My wife's from Dallas and she's the cutest thing on wheels. Hook 'em, horns!
Normans
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/26/2012 11:25PM - in reply to Dumbfounded Transplant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Most people have an understandable affection for their native place. My experience is that anywhere thats too rabidly proud of their homeland is covering up for intrinsic crappiness. A good example is The South generally, (especially NOrleans) but I don't think I'd include Texas, which definitely has things to be proud of (listed in above posts).
The only question here
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/26/2012 11:44PM - in reply to Dumbfounded Transplant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why are Americans so proud to be from America?

Truly bizarre.
bad as naomi russell
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/26/2012 11:50PM - in reply to Dumbfounded Transplant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
when you are unintelligent and don't have much to offer to the world, you feel a need to stand for and be a part of something, something important (in your own mind anyway) and bigger than yourself. participating in such an experience with others is empowering because you can give each other reinforcement ("we" are good! "we" are worth something, part of something, and stand for something!) and affirm the importance of your commitment and of yourself as a good individual (and you in turn do the same for others).

so you become a Texan. or a diehard Packers Fan. or a born-again Christian, or a Tea Party Patriot. or whatever gets you going. and you let EVERYBODY else know about it. you might not have much else, but you got THIS, and it becomes of the upmost importance to you, the crux of your identity.

Dumbfounded Transplant wrote:
So my question is why do texans have so much pride in being from Texas?
gringonash
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/27/2012 4:57AM - in reply to Dumbfounded Transplant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here I sit with cheeks a-flexin'.....
Giving birth to another Texan.....
You Know
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/27/2012 5:02AM - in reply to Dumbfounded Transplant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Texas is infamous for the most Chicken Hawks and phony patriots with guns and Ford F-150s. Less than 5% of the trucks displaying USMC stickers have a driver or passenger who were in the Marines.
Trollist
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/27/2012 5:34AM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Lee Van Cleef wrote:

ASFASDFASDFAGFGDA wrote:

I love reminding Texans how much bigger Alaska is.

You're a fag.

Spoken like a true Texan!
coacht27
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/27/2012 6:38AM - in reply to Dumbfounded Transplant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Forty years ago I lived in San Antonio for some time and I just did not get Texas either. In about 1984 James Mitchener wrote his historical novel "Texas" which I read and thoroughly enjoyed and then I finally figured out Texas and Texans. It is the only state that is nationalistic. It was a country before it was a state and came into the Union by treaty not by acquisition through purchase or conquer. A Texan considers himself a Texan first and an American second more often than not. Texas is a very unique state politically and socially and economically.
Leo Russell
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/28/2012 8:26PM - in reply to coacht27 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ok. I've had about all I can stand. Time for a real Texan with a brain to set it straight.

Texans are proud to be Texans because we, unlike the rest of christian america, do not consider pride to be a sin. Pride is nothing but a good thing. Pride is the centerpiece for which everything else in life revolves around. If you have no self-esteem or are ashamed of who you are, then why even continue living? Our state has endured more violence than any other state and has never given up the fight to be our own people. We fall back on our own pride because we've earned it. Its who we are and who we always will be. Pride is love and love is pride. We love ourselves. If you dont love yourself first, then nobody else will love you either. Pride isn't something you can pick and choose which moments you want to enact the switch. It's turnt up full blast all of the time. Its permanent. Its everlasting. Its forever. We are just dying as a normal person. We are living and dying as Texans.

Texas is the only state, and place in the world, where liberty and freedom truly exist. In Texas, unless you are actually doing something wrong, then you are left alone. Anyone is welcome here as long as they want to be here and will have Texas pride. Even rattlesnakes and brownskin aliens. You are welcome here as long as you have pride. If you dont like it here, it wont phase us one bit. Dont let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

Texas is Passion.
Texas is Pride.
Texas is Forever.

YOU CANT HANDLE MY LOAD. YOU CANT HANDLE MY WEIGHT. YOU CANT PHUCK WITTA BROTHA FROM THE LONE STAR STATE.
Boulder dash
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/29/2012 4:29AM - in reply to yyyy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

yyyy wrote:

texans still feel they are a country independent of the US

Very true. Texans feel they are the cowboys of America. When you get down to it, it's a self esteem issue. They feel they constatly have to say "we are great!" not to remind you, but to make themdelves feel better.
There are some really nice places in Texas. Austin is constantly listed as one of the best places to live in America. However, you are from the west, you might still be considered a "yankee".
Southerners hate yankees.
They still hang on to the Civil War.
They lost. Get over it.
I hate Texas
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/29/2012 6:49AM - in reply to Boulder dash Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't ever ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he's not, you don't want to embarrass him.
Gkfkgk
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/29/2012 11:31AM - in reply to Leo Russell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow...Your state really isn't that great, travel a bit more.
redux
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/29/2012 11:40AM - in reply to Dumbfounded Transplant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm a Florida native and have been told many times that I am a rare bird indeed and should be proud of my Cracker status amongst all the transplants. I don't feel such pride in something I have no control over. Now, being a runner is a choice and a lifestyle I am proud to bear.
Get Outside Your Bubble
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/29/2012 1:50PM - in reply to Gkfkgk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You liberals should travel more, say to the vast swathes of the planet ruled by Islam, then you'd understand why the parts of America that liberals haven't ruined are so great, and how blessed we are by God.
crackpot theory
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/29/2012 1:55PM - in reply to Get Outside Your Bubble Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Get Outside Your Bubble wrote:

You liberals should travel more, say to the vast swathes of the planet ruled by Islam, then you'd understand why the parts of America that liberals haven't ruined are so great, and how blessed we are by God.

OK, you just answered the question in the thread. It's simply because you are delusional morons.

(For the record I have traveled to 38 countries including 5 that you would call "ruled by Islam" and people there are friendlier and much more open-minded than in America's "blessed by God" red states.)
Forget the Alamo
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/29/2012 2:00PM - in reply to Dumbfounded Transplant Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's because we try juveniles as adults and execute more prisoners than any other state and almost all countries.
Second reason is our sweet-ass belt buckles.
Far Out Man
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/29/2012 2:05PM - in reply to Forget the Alamo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
They could be from Oklahoma, so ...they consider themselves lucky.
RAC
RE: Why are Texans so proud to be from Texas? 8/29/2012 2:06PM - in reply to kudzurunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Probably for the same reason as Icelanders are so proud to be from Iceland or Canadians are proud to come from the second biggest country on Earth.

It's a geographic/political the bit of the planet they just happened to be born on.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |