whitepanther
Can I run with A fractured rib? 3/4/2009 3:40PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was playing basketball, I am so stupid. Anyways got hit pretty hard and my rib is killing. will it heal fine if i run easy for now?
Kele
RE: Can I run with A fractured rib? 3/4/2009 3:50PM - in reply to whitepanther Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You should (obviously) see a doctor, but if you actually do have a fractured rib resting seems like a smart idea. I'd imagine the combination of your core muscles pulling on the rib and the repetitive jolting while running could cause problems with the healing process.
Kele
RE: Can I run with A fractured rib? 3/4/2009 3:51PM - in reply to Kele Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Forgot to add, I knew a guy once who broke his wrist and even though it has nothing to do with running he had to rest because the jarring of the bone wouldn't allow it to heal properly.
whitepanther
RE: Can I run with A fractured rib? 3/4/2009 3:52PM - in reply to Kele Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
its been a week with no improvement that's why I think its fractured. Is there much a doctor can do? I am just holding off because I don't have insurance at the moment.
Jerkstore
RE: Can I run with A fractured rib? 3/4/2009 3:55PM - in reply to Kele Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Running hard could be a problem. All a doctor will say is let it heal (whether it's bruised or broken). A couple times I've had a bruised or cracked rib and it went away after a few weeks. It was probably bruised because it only took a few weeks. If I remember correctly, speed work was a bitch. Oh, and one of those times it happened while playing basketball. Good luck. I know it can hurt bad.
jaguar1
RE: Can I run with A fractured rib? 3/4/2009 4:03PM - in reply to whitepanther Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I posted a response about this recently:

I fractured a rib almost 2 years ago (~from a bad cough/cold). Huge knot the size of half a tennis ball. I was training for my first marathon 8 weeks away, and was determined to keep training for it. We had an athletic trainer at the local university who taped my right rib cage (helped stabilize the area/muscles), and I just ran easy every day for about 5 weeks (~100-110 mpw). We also did e-stim and ice a couple of times a week. I agree-- coughing, laughing, sneezing, breathing hard, sleeping on that side were painful, but very easy running was fine. I actually felt better after each run (endorphins?).

I happen to in the field of bone research (I was finishing my Master's in grad school at the time), so I had the inside scoop on enhancing bone recovery. You want to eat lots of meat (IGF-1, growth factor), fruit and vegetables (potassium citrate, buffers acid load in diet), and sleep a lot (GH release in your sleep). All of this combined with the low-level mechanical stimulus of running (~rib is non-weight bearing) will enhance bone recovery. I was pain free after 3 weeks (the norm is 6-8 weeks!). I was able to start doing some harder workout stuff after 5 weeks. I ran the marathon with no problems, although I wasn't quite as sharp as I could have been.

Whatever you do, do NOT take ibuprofen or any prescription pain relievers. They will slow the healing process and reduce the amount of callous formation. Calcium/Vit. D supplements will have no impact on enhancing recovery, but they will certainly be important for forming new bone mineral. Bisphosphonates won't enhance recovery either, but over the long term they will improve BMD by slowing bone resorption/removal (however, there is concern they reduce bone quality, which means greater bone fragility/more microfractures within the bone).
whitepanther
RE: Can I run with A fractured rib? 3/4/2009 4:08PM - in reply to jaguar1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks how important do think the tape was? can i do it my self with some athletic tape. good story how did the marathon go?
jaguar1
RE: Can I run with A fractured rib? 3/4/2009 4:29PM - in reply to whitepanther Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I thought the tape helped quite a bit. It stabilized the area and made running more comfortable. The athletic trainer used a special taping technique (only right ribcage). Maybe you could find the technique online? It seems like she might have sprayed something too on the skin to keep it from causing irritation. I was able to wear the tape for a few days at a time, and then she'd redo it.

Marathon went pretty well (despite little quality... just lots of miles). It was my first, and I ran 2:48+ (lady). I later got the qualifier for the Trials.