teacher/ coach
middle school track workouts 3/2/2009 5:36PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I looked through the archived results and found some middle school links from over a year ago but nothing recent.

Does anyone have any other ideas or links for cool ideas/ fun games for middle school boys and girls to participate in to livin up practice?

I'm working mostly with distance runners but on occassion, I'd have the sprinters as well.

Possibly you can reflect back on your middle school days and post your favorite practice/ workout(s).

Thanks
citius5000
RE: middle school track workouts 3/2/2009 6:00PM - in reply to teacher/ coach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Indian Sprints and relay races with batons if you have enough.
from the other perspective....
RE: middle school track workouts 3/2/2009 6:09PM - in reply to teacher/ coach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I remember in middle school our coach have us do these workouts/games for us:

1. 75 meter all out sprints with little rest (30 seconds), did about 10 of these, they got pretty tiring, when I was only 11 years old, I thought I was going to die or something!

2. 4-5x800 meter intervals on grass (on some type of soccer, football, lacrosse fields), we did these pretty hard, just fast enough so we could do the whole workout, we wouldn't do this every week. Got about a 3-5 minute rest (we waited until the next group after us got back from their set)

3. Capture the flag, awesome game

4. 6-3-6 workout (if you were a good runner, you would do 6-6-6). This is where you would warm up for six minutes, run all out for three minutes, and rest for 6 minutes, we would usually do only 2 of these)

5. We would always do pushups, situps, crunches, or any other strengthening exercise, do this with the athletes.

6. We would spend about 2-4 weeks of "conditioning" doing these hard workouts about every other day, when the meets came around, we eased back a little. On easy days, we would warm up a mile, and play a game like capture the flag or run around for 15-25 minutes

After looking back on it, these workouts were easy as shit. But it's a good start for many younger runners like I was.
from the other perspective....
RE: middle school track workouts 3/2/2009 6:10PM - in reply to citius5000 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

citius5000 wrote:

Indian Sprints and relay races with batons if you have enough.

oh yes we did this as well
female
RE: middle school track workouts 3/2/2009 6:36PM - in reply to from the other perspective.... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Keep them busy and keep it short and sweet. Hard workouts some days, a day of fun relays or games as a reward for good behavior. This is a challenging age, just make sure that there is no down time....run a very organized practice....
hart crane
RE: middle school track workouts 3/2/2009 6:38PM - in reply to from the other perspective.... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran sub 5 in middle school. Most days we would run 20-25 minutes. We'd do a lot of short hills, a lot of drills, and raced once a week during the season. I only remember doing two hard track workouts. One was a small ladder, 300-500-800-500-300. It was hard as hell. The other was 4x400, each at 70 seconds, this was right before I ran sub 5.
pleasure police
RE: middle school track workouts 3/2/2009 6:42PM - in reply to female Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Without cell phones,texting, I pods, Internet. Sounds cruel.
teacher/ coach
RE: middle school track workouts 3/3/2009 4:02PM - in reply to pleasure police Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
midwesta
RE: middle school track workouts 4/1/2009 10:46PM - in reply to teacher/ coach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump again. just started middle school track today for the distance kids. Indian runs and fartleks are good ideas. anything else?
coach keith
RE: middle school track workouts 4/1/2009 11:15PM - in reply to midwesta Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I like to have the kids do a running and stretching warm-up. Then do a short, short workout. Then play a game.

The kids like to play tag on the outdoor b-ball court (it is a bit smaller than regulation). The small space makes them do short litle sprints. We paly for about 15 minutes.

Sometimes we play "Devil-Take-the-Hindmost". The kids run a short course -- 150 to 200 meters. The last person to complete the lap is out. Normally, the "out" kid is done, but they still need to be doing a workout. Those "out" kids then are "it" and have to do the course backwards. In a certain area of the course, the "it" kids can tag the runners in the other direction. The specific tagging area is so that the "it" kids have to hustle to get in that area. Once the runners pass, they have to continue doing the course backward to the start. The kids tagged and the last to cross the line are the "it" kids. The "it" kids group grows quickly. Runners have to do short sprints at a few times -- getting away from taggers and at the end when they don't want to be last. We play the game a few times.
Gambler
RE: middle school track workouts 4/2/2009 1:16AM - in reply to teacher/ coach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A fun disguise for intervals is to vary the length by rolling dice or using a board game spinner.

Spin a 3 and you run 300m. Spin a 6 and the group goes 600m. Control the range however you like. The kids get into the game of chance and cheer and groan depending on the outcome.