XXXXX
Barringer 4:25.91 beats Kipyego 4:27.19 at Big-12. Former CR=4:28.51 (1988) 2/28/2009 10:35PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, they both broke Vicki Huber’s indoor mile college record (CR) of 4:28.51 set in 1988. The outdoor mile CR is 4:29.04. FYI, the outdoor 1500m CR is 4:06.19 set by Hannah England last year -- this converts to a 4:25.89 mile (using widely accepted 1.08 conversion factor).

So Barringer has the indoor mile and 5K (15:01.70) CRs and Kipyego has the indoor 3K (8:48.77) CR. What events do you think they will race at indoor Nats?

I suspect Barringer will race only the 3K -- trying to get the indoor 3K record to add to the other two indoor CRs she already has. Kipyego may race the 3K and try to defend her 3K CR, or race the mile and hope she can run 1.3 seconds faster than today and get the mile CR back from Barringer, or she can go for another NCAA championship in the 5K.

After today's mile race, I'd consider Barringer a faster college distance runner than Kipyego. It will be interesting if Barringer attempts to break Kipyego's 10K CR this spring. It's possible that three months from now Kipyego will have lost all her CRs to Barringer.
closet case
RE: Barringer 4:25.91 beats Kipyego 4:27.19 at Big-12. Former CR=4:28.51 (1988) 2/28/2009 11:07PM - in reply to XXXXX Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pretty detailed article on the CU website with lots of quotes:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=4064&SPID=265&
DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=3681815
dheir
RE: Barringer 4:25.91 beats Kipyego 4:27.19 at Big-12. Former CR=4:28.51 (1988) 3/1/2009 10:35AM - in reply to closet case Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Per below linked article, written after this mile race, Barringer's coach says that Barringer will "more than likely" run the 3K at Indoor NCAAs.
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=4064&SPID=265&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=3681815

Two hours after this mile race, Kipyego ran the 3K to get the qualifier she needed for Indoor NCAAs. I wonder if she will run just the 3K at NCAAs (like Barringer) or go for a mile/5K double?
Not So Fast
RE: Barringer 4:25.91 beats Kipyego 4:27.19 at Big-12. Former CR=4:28.51 (1988) 3/1/2009 10:59PM - in reply to XXXXX Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's one race and it's Conference. Kipyego ran the DMR Friday night, the mile and 3k on Saturday. I expect Kipyego to win the mile title and surpass Barringer's record at NCAA's and to win the 5K title.

Barringer's a great runner and will have a solid pro career like Goucher and Flanagan, which is who she reminds me of. But, she's not in the same league as Kipyego. Kipyego has more upside and will be a regular podium finisher. I frankly don't expect the same of Barringer.

Note, as has been widely publicized, Kipyego had nursing clinicals this week. So, she ran on little sleep and on less training. In other words, she wasn't race sharp. See this month's Running Times article on her. I don't think her male training partners overstate her potential when say she'll run sub 4:20 in the mile this year based on the workouts they do w/ her.

It's been a great indoor season!
lightbulb
RE: Barringer 4:25.91 beats Kipyego 4:27.19 at Big-12. Former CR=4:28.51 (1988) 3/2/2009 2:46AM - in reply to Not So Fast Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
with JB's improvements in other racing distances im thinking that she will soon enough find herself on the podium for her signature event. i dont think people remember that she's a steeple athlete outdoors...
26mi235
RE: Barringer 4:25.91 beats Kipyego 4:27.19 at Big-12. Former CR=4:28.51 (1988) 3/2/2009 9:24AM - in reply to Not So Fast Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You might well be right, but this is the opinion that I help prior to the summer last year. Since then, she has edged into SK's range. Look what SK did in the summer/Olympics. Unfortunately, she might have trouble making the national team very often, diminishing her stay in competitive racing - it is not clear that she will ever race in the Olympics or even the WCs, which is a tough situation to face and would only occur in Kenya and Ethiopia at her specialties, although her range might help some.

Since JB's season extended so late she was not at peak form in the fall and I would guess is still not in top form. I would be elated but not totally surprised to see marks like 14:45 and 9:15 this year, which really are pretty stellar for a US collegian (how many collegian's own multiple settings of ARs?).

Not So Fast wrote:

It's one race and it's Conference. Kipyego ran the DMR Friday night, the mile and 3k on Saturday. I expect Kipyego to win the mile title and surpass Barringer's record at NCAA's and to win the 5K title.

Barringer's a great runner and will have a solid pro career like Goucher and Flanagan, which is who she reminds me of. But, she's not in the same league as Kipyego. Kipyego has more upside and will be a regular podium finisher. I frankly don't expect the same of Barringer.

Note, as has been widely publicized, Kipyego had nursing clinicals this week. So, she ran on little sleep and on less training. In other words, she wasn't race sharp. See this month's Running Times article on her. I don't think her male training partners overstate her potential when say she'll run sub 4:20 in the mile this year based on the workouts they do w/ her.

It's been a great indoor season!
Not So Fast
RE: Barringer 4:25.91 beats Kipyego 4:27.19 at Big-12. Former CR=4:28.51 (1988) 3/2/2009 11:42PM - in reply to 26mi235 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Time will tell.

Kipyego's Kenya's best 1500/miler currently. I don't see Jelimo stepping up. Why would she? This said, I expect Kipyego will be on the WC team, and on the OT for 2012. On the new Diamond Tour I expect that she'll podium most races. Last year's OT are history. No collegian coming off of a scintillating 5K/1500 double at collegiate nationals is going to fly to altitude days before the OT (so no time for body to adjust) and make the Kenyan Olympic Team. Kipyego gamely tried. And of course, the 10K time she ran would have made the U.S. Oly team, but that's really not the point.

Barringer, she's a good one (U.S.'s best steepler), and her collegiate career so far reminds me alot of Flanagan's and Goucher's. She'll need to get into the low 9 range to make podiums in the 3Ksc on the Diamond Tour. From what she's shown she could get there, but she's not quite there yet. I'm looking forward to her getting though. She's fun to watch.

OTOH, Kipyego's shown more upside in her 2-year Div. I career and is there now. On the current WAT, a race-sharp Kipyego, training full-time, w/o nursing clinicals, is regularly on the podium in the 1500, 3K.

Finally, thanks to the collegians and international-competing pros for stepping up and making the indoor season exciting!