respectful son
what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 2/28/2009 12:01PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What happens to gold crowns when a person dies? I doubt the funeral home lets that gold be buried. Do they take the crowns out? Do they offer them to the family? With gold at $900+ per ounce it seems like there's a lot of money in some peoples mouths.

I'm asking anonymously on this forum because I wouldn't want any family member to ever get the impression that I was angling for money in any kind of disrespectful way. But it also seems wrong to me if the funeral home takes all that gold and keeps it for themselves without any reimbursement to the family.
Yanqui
RE: what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 2/28/2009 12:18PM - in reply to respectful son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well, on the other hand, I can't really imagine undertakers pulling the gold out of people's mouths. I doubt that's part of their training. It smacks too much of concentration camp atrocities, doesn't it?
uh_no
RE: what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 2/28/2009 12:22PM - in reply to Yanqui Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
actually I fail to see how this remotely connects to concentration camp atrocities
lemony snickets
RE: what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 2/28/2009 12:22PM - in reply to respectful son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
moral oral.
Montesquieu
RE: what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 2/28/2009 1:39PM - in reply to uh_no Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The Nazis, without fail, extracted the gold fillings from concentration camp victims. Indeed, this was also the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the thread.

uh_no wrote:

actually I fail to see how this remotely connects to concentration camp atrocities
Tardis Runner
RE: what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 2/28/2009 1:59PM - in reply to respectful son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
First of all the crowns are an alloy of metals with some gold and the rest composed of other elements. The real cost of making a crown is in the labor by the lab technician. In my dental practice I always return any old crowns to the patient after they are removed. We provide the patient with an envelope to a refiner. The patients always comment how surprised they are how little they got back in cash per crown. Usually $10-20. Wes Santee who works in a funeral home told me that after a cremation you have ashes, bones and any "foreign materials" like gold crowns and hip replacements left over. So I'm not sure what the crematorium does with those items.
Kaprub
RE: what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 2/28/2009 3:31PM - in reply to respectful son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was going to suggest watching Six Feet Under, but I don't think they have anything about gold crowns. However, people get buried in clothes (often a nice suit, which could easily be more expensive than a gold crown), the coffin is probably much more expensive, and sometimes with other sentimental items which may be valuable.
jack daniels rools
RE: what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 2/28/2009 3:37PM - in reply to Kaprub Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Kaprub wrote:
people get buried in clothes (often a nice suit, which could easily be more expensive than a gold crown), the coffin is probably much more expensive, and sometimes with other sentimental items which may be valuable.

GG Allin exemplified this:

http://dillsnapcogitation.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/gg1.jpg
Free Advice
RE: what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 3/1/2009 6:04AM - in reply to respectful son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was having a gold crown replaced and asked my dentist what he does with the old crown, and if it is worth anything. His answer concurred with a previous poster, in that the crown is an alloy, and it really isn't worth the time and effort to extract the gold. He said he can't just throw stuff like that away, he actually has to pay some environmental service to "officially dispose" of items like that, so it costs him money, as opposed to making money from old gold crowns.

So, to answer your question, no, the gold crowns are not worth going after.
Off the Grid
RE: what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 3/1/2009 7:02AM - in reply to respectful son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
when my grandfather passed away in '78 (when gold was flying) they hand us an envelope w/ his fillings. Rather nasty, but it was US$2k at the time.
My grandfather probably told them at the hospital to rip them out *before* he died so he could spend the money.
dd
RE: what happens to gold crowns when a person dies? 3/1/2009 7:50AM - in reply to respectful son Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My dad had this idea, that his gold fillings should be removed when he died, and help out with expenses. Frankly it's the last thing you want to deal with at the time. To go from saying goodbye to the man that raised you to worrying about a few bucks ripped from his mouth is not a transition most people want to make. Take time to enjoy the person while they're alive, and try not to dwell on making cash off of them.