Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Dr Death
highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 7:00PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Met a guy this weekend who claims to have a VO2 max of 92. I have never heard of anyone ever having a level that high. I thought that some of the highest ever were Coe and Armstrong measured in the mid to high 80's. Could this be possible, or was this guy full of crap?
chitownrunner
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 7:18PM - in reply to Dr Death Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know Floyd Landis recorded a 90, and Greg Lemond had a 92. It's possible, but he's obviously got to be a world class endurance athlete if it's true.
No way
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 7:24PM - in reply to chitownrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

chitownrunner wrote:

I know Floyd Landis recorded a 90, and Greg Lemond had a 92. It's possible, but he's obviously got to be a world class endurance athlete if it's true.

Thats not true. He could certainly have that high of a VO2 max and not be world class. There are way more factors involved than that.
Decent Big XII Guy
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 7:33PM - in reply to No way Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I measured at 73-77 VO2 on a variety of different VO2 tests and could barely score at conference.... And I was no where near national class... let alone world class...
Bjorn Daehlie
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 7:36PM - in reply to Dr Death Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Nordic skiing legend Bjorn Daehlie tested out at 96. (Some sources say it was 94, however). I believe this is the highest number ever recorded:

http://www.fasterskier.com/training2589.html
sjc
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 7:42PM - in reply to Dr Death Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm

scroll down just a bit for some top results. as someone else said vo2 max isn't everything there are other factors. matt carpenter was over 90 and i don't think he ever broke 215 (i might be wrong) but he is an altitude running freak.
Avocados Number
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 8:05PM - in reply to sjc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Matt's fastest marathon was about 2:19:50 (give or take a few seconds) in the 1992 Houston marathon.

People who focus on VO2 max numbers are wasting their time, and are usually badly misinformed about the significance of VO2max measurements.
Dr Death
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 8:07PM - in reply to chitownrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This guy was definately not a national class runner. Met him at a race, he went about 1:15 for a half marathon. He beat me - not a hard thing to do - and I was talking to him afterwards, and he just seemed to be throwing out all kinds of garbage. His so called PR's were much faster - low 14's, 30's for 5 and 10k - which didn't make much sense either for what he just ran, but the vo2 max thing really made me wonder.
No way
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 8:20PM - in reply to Dr Death Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
VO2 max is one aspect of running. It is certainly important, but is deffinitely not the only thing that is. Having a high one is an advantage, but thats all that it is.
zzzz
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 9:20PM - in reply to Dr Death Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Dr Death wrote:
His so called PR's were much faster - low 14's, 30's for 5 and 10k - which didn't make much sense either for what he just ran, but the vo2 max thing really made me wonder.

I think many and probably even most of us have PRs that are much faster than what we would do in a race now...
Bearded Beast
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 9:33PM - in reply to zzzz Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The machine could have been calibrated wrong. I had a test where I scored a 86 or something but in actuality it was more of a 79 . Its mmol O2/ KG of body mass I think, but I am probably wrong as I am NOT an exercise physiologist. It not really a good measure. Efficiency has more to do with your running. Also, I got a 58 on a bike test, I was fatter at that point of the test as well but still a lower score, because I was not trained as a cyclist. Also, the ski machine seems to favor a higher score more so than running I was told. I had comparable VO2 numbers to my teammates, but they were much more efficient and therefore much faster than me.
chitownrunner
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 10:12PM - in reply to No way Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
true, but doesn't hard training raise your vo2 max somewhat? so certainly not a sedentary individual,or else he could start training and possibly produce the highest vo2 ever recorded. and if he isn't world class, then he's got somthing else holding him back (i.e economy, body type etc.).
-
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 10:34PM - in reply to chitownrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
VO2 Max is something white athletes test for, and we all know white athletes are the best endurance athletes in the world, therefore all the highest scores are by white athletes.
kprunner
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 10:39PM - in reply to - Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
ed eyestone was an 89

thats the highest i have ever known of first hand.

i am sure there are a few higher but i not many i am sure
mother clucker
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 10:51PM - in reply to sjc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
jtupper has reported that the vo2 max tester that was used on carpenter was somewhat unreliable. this is in no way knocking carpenter - carpenter was likely abducted by aliens, given nuclear powered quads and c/v system.
meaningless
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/15/2009 10:53PM - in reply to Dr Death Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Derek Clayton was something like 69 and he ran a 2:08 marathon.

The number is meaningless except to compare improvements in one athlete over time. It has no utility comparing one athlete to another.
jtupper
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/16/2009 10:51AM - in reply to Dr Death Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Periodic talk about this variable. It is important, but only when you also have economy data to pair it with, so you get a vVO2max value (which is important, as long as it is measured while performing your chosen sport). A high value while running doesn't necessarily correlate well with similar data collected during a swim or ski or cycle test. I got a guy with a 60 max one time while just arm cranking (no leg involvement at the time), but he was an Olympic canoe paddler so arms were important for him. 3 women runners (each of whom had run between 9:02 and 9:08 for 3k) had VO2max values of 73, 69.9 and 60.4. Economy values thrown into the mix put their vVO2max values at just about the same for all 3. The girl with the 60.4 was NCAA champ that year in the 10k. If you can trust your analyzers then it does give useful information to do periodic tests to compare an individual over time. With poor calibrating of equipment (which is more and more common place these days because of the "high-tech" analyzers that tend to be far less dependable than older, slower, chemical analyzers) I have seen the same runner whose tests over a period of 6 months, changed from 86 to 76 and the guy was national champ in XC during the 86 and national champ in the 10k with the 76 -- very doubtful his max dropped by 12% while dominating under both sets of circumstances.
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/16/2009 10:55AM - in reply to Dr Death Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
was he matt carpenter?
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/16/2009 10:57AM - in reply to - Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

- wrote:

VO2 Max is something white athletes test for, and we all know white athletes are the best endurance athletes in the world, therefore all the highest scores are by white athletes.

very true.

I am sure they read books by Dr. Jack Daniels in the rift valley.

western way of thinking = over analysis
Voice of Ray-san
RE: highest VO2 max ever recorded 2/16/2009 4:05PM - in reply to Dr Death Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Highest V02max ever recorded?

I think horses have had V02maxes recorded in the 400's.

Or did you mean humans?
Pages: | 1 | 2 |