Pages: | 1 | 2 |
the nutritionist
could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 4:28PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
on a diet of strictly beer and water, would you be able to survive? i'm not talking quality of life, just survival.

vegetables and salts are important, but i think it would take a while at least for those deficiencies to have an effect... i think you could survive a couple of months on (good) beer and water. things might get bad after that.

the brew i am sipping right now has carbs and proteins. i wasn't aware of the presence of protein in beer and that's what got me to thinking.
SMJO
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 4:36PM - in reply to the nutritionist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If the beer was Guinness you could ditch the water.
Barts dad
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 4:37PM - in reply to the nutritionist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I already do. WooHoo!!
cmurph
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 5:56PM - in reply to the nutritionist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
no iron or calcium
medjool
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 6:01PM - in reply to cmurph Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Humans have survived for years on just bread and water as POWs. Beer? Sure. You could go for years. But eventually, you would get deficient in stuff and get pellegra, scurvy, rickets, etc.
thecatinthehat
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 6:32PM - in reply to medjool Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've heard that the hardest core meth users survive off of nothing but 2 liter bottles of off brand soda pop. That's even worse than beer... no proteins, vitamins, etc.
Manswer
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 6:39PM - in reply to thecatinthehat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This question was on "Manswers" (a very good tv show for men, in case you don't know). Apparently you can survive on beer for a few weeks (something like 2-6), but you would ultimately die. Even if you could survive longer, you would have extremem vitamin and mineral deficiencies, which would probably cause death too.
DPM
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 6:56PM - in reply to the nutritionist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Google "Beer Potomania" for your answer.

Hyponatremia can kill you. A good week with nothing but beer and water and you'll be having seizures.
Quizzical Quizzicist
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 7:00PM - in reply to the nutritionist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ask Henry Rono.
Number 7
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 7:21PM - in reply to cmurph Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cmurph wrote:

no iron or calcium

If the situation was a runner having to survive off of beer and water then of course that would be a problem.

But a human being may very well be able too...
look at me more
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 7:33PM - in reply to Number 7 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Number 7 wrote:

cmurph wrote:

no iron or calcium

If the situation was a runner having to survive off of beer and water then of course that would be a problem.

But a human being may very well be able too...

muscle(including the heart) contractions and oxygen transport?
dont you need iron and calcium for that
dsfsadf
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 7:38PM - in reply to the nutritionist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know people that just drank beer for a while. Scurvy. No vitamin C gets messy. They actually got quite sick.
LC
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 7:42PM - in reply to look at me more Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dark beer has a decent amount of iron. I don't know about the calcium, though. Maybe if you drank really hard water you'd get just enough to survive off of.
LC
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 7:46PM - in reply to dsfsadf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dsfsadf wrote:

I know people that just drank beer for a while. Scurvy. No vitamin C gets messy. They actually got quite sick.

Maybe we could make the rules so that you are allowed to garnish your beer with a lemon or orange. Not something I'd normally do, but to prevent scurvy it might be worth it.
googled
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 9:28PM - in reply to cmurph Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
shut the f*** up murphy, no one likes you... seriously. no one. enjoy life.

you've never enjoyed a beer. kudos to you.
the nutritionist
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 9:47PM - in reply to dsfsadf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i took scurvy into account... but, really, it's an outdated disease. it takes years to get the actual scurvy. that's for sailors or pirates on the sea for years at a time without vegetables. almost impossible for a 20th/21st century person to incur.

taken a bite of broccoli lately? safe from scurvy this year.
Moon
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 9:56PM - in reply to googled Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

googled wrote:

shut the f*** up murphy, no one likes you... seriously. no one. enjoy life.

you've never enjoyed a beer. kudos to you.

I bet he has, stfu googled. do us a favor and go drive your car into a tree at 40 mph. Just fast enough so you wont die immediately from impact, but will slowly bleed out...
googled
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 10:31PM - in reply to Moon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
ha, let the kid fend for himself... he needs some self esteem. and i really hope you don't die. that would be quite an awful thing to wish upon anyone.

a wonderful thing to wish would be for murphy to enjoy a beer or two... which he hasn't.

k, moon?
the nutritionist
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/5/2009 11:25PM - in reply to googled Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
uh, that guy murphy destroyed my thread. thanks.

seriously, any people into nutrition who know what's up? many contradictions on this thread already...
Adolph Coors
RE: could you survive off of BEER and WATER alone? 2/6/2009 12:14AM - in reply to the nutritionist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A few hundred years ago the water would kill you so everyone drank beer. Unfortunately, they learned how to purify the water and alcohol eventually became illegal in some parts of the world. I am glad we have a happy medium between the two now.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |