Fit or in trouble
Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 4:44AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I got up from my bed just now after reading the Wanjiru quote and took a deep breath and for some reason put my hand to my chest and i didnt feel a beat for a good 2-3 seconds. the next beat was a verrrry powerful beat, like one after some fast sprinting. issue?
beating the meat
RE: Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 5:11AM - in reply to Fit or in trouble Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Either your hand missed a beat or you do not feel good
ChiTown Huster
RE: Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 7:50AM - in reply to beating the meat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
7 / 10.........Mentioning the Warinju quote was key, but lacked body overall.
Morning Zoo w/Dick Gobbler
RE: Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 8:39AM - in reply to Fit or in trouble Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My heart skips a beat from time to time (once every few weeks). About two years ago when I was just starting to get back in shape after a long break, it was doing it 6-10 times a day. I was worried and went to the doc, but he said if there's no pain or dizziness that it's nothing to worry about. 2-3 seconds sounds like a long time though, are you sure that wasn't maybe a bit less and FELT like longer?
A. Dent
RE: Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 8:57AM - in reply to Fit or in trouble Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I actually get this too. Not for 2-3 seconds, but a longer than normal pause followed by a stronger beat
Pey
RE: Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 9:15AM - in reply to A. Dent Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This used to happen to me alot. Someone on this site said it could be low potassium. I started eating a couple of bananas every day and maybe it's a coincidence but it hasn't happened again for at least a year.
C o a c h
RE: Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 9:44AM - in reply to Fit or in trouble Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As your C O A C H, I advise you to use the Google to look up "premature atrial contractions."
urgh a music war
RE: Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 9:54AM - in reply to C o a c h Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Odds are these "skipped beats" are in response to an arryhthmia like Premature beats (PACs or PVCs), after which the heart takes a little longer to fill with blood again. Millions of people have them, but still not a bad idea to have checked out. Runners get these more than the standard population. One of the hypotheses is that the lower resting heart rate (50 or below) confuses the electrical system.
female master
RE: Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 11:24AM - in reply to urgh a music war Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for that information. I've had this same issue for several years. I have been checked out by a M.D., & it was PVC's. My resting rate is, sometimes, 40. Maybe there is some validity w/the electrical system.
kudzurunner
RE: Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 11:41AM - in reply to female master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Weird. This exact same thing happened to me this morning. I think it was a long-delayed beat, followed by a THUMP, followed by a bit of faster-than-normal beating. I was brushing my son's hair. I stopped cold and went over to a chair and sat down. Didn't feel right for a little while. I quickly strapped on my HR monitor and my pulse was back to normal almost immediately: 55 or so.

I haven't been sleeping as well--been waking very early (4:30-5:30)--for the past two weeks. In the past, I've noticed this very occasional arythmia when I'm having sleep problems, or, alternately, when I've had too much coffee.

It's never happened while I'm running or racing, so I haven't been worried. And it rarely happens regardless. But yes: that THUMP will get your attention!
urgh a music war
RE: Heart stops for 2-3 seconds a sign of fitness or a sign of heart problems 2/3/2009 12:29PM - in reply to female master Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It all comes down to the vagus nerve and it's role in trying to keep homeostsis. Since under 50 is considered bradychardia, the vagus nerve often starts trying to regulate what doesn't really need to be regulated. There are also plenty of spots inside the atrium that that can send phantom signals when the sinus doesn't fire every second or so. Benign in most cases but can cause problems in some.