shoe sizing
How much room is too little/too much in shoes? 1/22/2009 10:43AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I read an article on on website that says you should have a minimum of 1/4 inch from the tip of your longest toe to the end of the shoe, with 1/2 (or a thumbnail) being optimal. I'd never heard of this rule; anyone have any opinions?
pnw runner
RE: How much room is too little/too much in shoes? 1/22/2009 11:55AM - in reply to shoe sizing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd heard of that rule, but I don't think that anyone really follows it. You should just go off how the shoe feels, and not worry about it.
sizer
RE: How much room is too little/too much in shoes? 1/22/2009 3:28PM - in reply to shoe sizing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
your toe shouldn't hit the end of the shoe...thumbnail rule is pretty good
shoe expert
RE: How much room is too little/too much in shoes? 1/22/2009 3:34PM - in reply to shoe sizing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thumb nail for growth room in a child. Other than that i like to think a pinkies width is sufficent. Also, bear in mind most people have one foot slightly bigger than the other.
runr over
RE: How much room is too little/too much in shoes? 1/22/2009 4:15PM - in reply to shoe expert Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I go in and try my dress shoe size. If it "fits" (toes near the end with a little wiggle room, shoes feels comfortable on both feet) I then usually go with a half size larger than the shoe that "fits".

I've found later in the day, during warmer weather, and the end of long runs my feet need the extra room.