raw toes
Severely Irritated Toes -Any Suggestions? 1/4/2009 8:18PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran for 20 years and had occasional problems runners have such as black toenail and a blister one in a while.

I started up again after a few years and now have a problem I have never had before. I only run about 2 miles a day and the tops and bottoms of my toes are severely irritated, sore and a raw red color and slightly itchy. The toenails are fine and I have no regular blisters with fluid, just raw red. My shoes are the same size I have always worn, I wear socks.

Any idea what the hell this is?

Any solutions other than stopping running.
megahurtz
RE: Severely Irritated Toes -Any Suggestions? 1/4/2009 10:48PM - in reply to raw toes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I used to have some issues like that, but I quit wearing socks and my toes loved it. The downside was there were a couple places were my shoes creased into the top of my feet, and on long runs they'd end up bleeding some. I got this lubricant stuff called sport shield though, and it's pure awesome. Might try greasing them up with some of that stuff and see if they get less annoyed.
omgSHOES
RE: Severely Irritated Toes -Any Suggestions? 1/4/2009 11:44PM - in reply to raw toes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It may be an issue of having too short of a shoe. Generally, you want to go about a size longer than your normal dress shoe. A quick test is to stand in your shoes before running and see if you have about a thumbnails space between your toe and the end. Less than that can work, but can also lead to problems.
Another thing that might help is making sure to kick your heels back before tying your shoes. It helps to maximize space in the toebox