Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Curious...
Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/14/2008 6:39PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've heard this rumor from several different people... Does anybody know?
who got the speed
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/14/2008 6:44PM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Curious... wrote:

Yes all 3 of their legs are fully formed.
marijuologist
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/14/2008 6:47PM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Africans have much smaller calf muscles on average.
will
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/14/2008 6:47PM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Curious... wrote:

The majority of the long distance runners legs look like twigs. Seems odd that an extra muscle would not stick out even more noticeably, doesn't it? It could be the fifth, sixth and seventh chambers in their hearts instead.
;alskjdf
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/14/2008 6:59PM - in reply to who got the speed Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No, there is not an extra calf muscle.
jaguar1
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/14/2008 7:03PM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Two things I've picked up from reading:

Altitude Training and Athletic Performance (Wilber, pg. 171):

"... the Kenyans' relatively good running biomechanics and physiological economy may have been affected by a unique viscoelastic component in the Achilles tendon and triceps surae muscle. This is a novel hypothesis that remains to be evaluated objectively."

Better Training for Distance Runners (Martin and Coe, pg. 26):

"Ankle flexibility seems best displayed at major international track meets by African runners, particularly those who ran barefoot as children. Their style shows the knee of the supporting leg well in front of the ankle, giving the foot an greater range of motion throughout takeoff."

Whether they truely have genetically greater "viscoelasticity" in the ankle/lower leg, or if it's due to the lifetime barefoot activity, who knows.
Tech Knee She Um 99
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/14/2008 8:01PM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I remember my pediatrician telling me this about 30 years ago....I guess she was referring to plantaris (only present in approx 30% of population). I have seen this twice in cadavers----really unsubstantial. Maybe she/they meant a ligament? Either way, likely that they're all wrong. Reminds me of the study showing blue-eyed people 10+ IQ points higher than brown, and morton's toe 7+ higher than "normal".
;alskjdf
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/14/2008 8:50PM - in reply to Tech Knee She Um 99 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Tech Knee She Um 99 wrote:

I remember my pediatrician telling me this about 30 years ago....I guess she was referring to plantaris (only present in approx 30% of population). I have seen this twice in cadavers----really unsubstantial.

How many cadavers did you look at? I've seen it in quite a few.

But I agree it's not a substantial muscle. There's no evidence that suggests its presence differs with race, so I assume the urban legend the OP was looking for was something more about a tendon.
Anatomy d00d
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/14/2008 10:54PM - in reply to ;alskjdf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
They're referring to plantaris. Completely worthless for running, but it makes a good topic for people who are not educated in sport and race.
fUrCeOsNhN
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/14/2008 11:10PM - in reply to Anatomy d00d Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Functions
Plantaris acts to weakly:

plantarflex the ankle joint
flex the knee joint
Plantaris may also provide proprioceptive feedback information to the central nervous system regarding the position of the foot. The unusually high density of proprioceptive receptor end organs supports this notion.

Its motor function is so minimal that its long tendon can readily be harvested for reconstruction elsewhere with little functional deficit. "Often mistaken for a nerve by freshman medical students, the muscle was useful to other primates for grasping with their feet. It has disappeared altogether in 9 percent of the population." "

Somehow I don't think that's the reason that they're faster. Their calves in general do seem a lot skinnier then most Europeans however, which would help with running.
stereoman
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/15/2008 9:49AM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes. They also have very long penises, are good dancers and like to eat fried chicken and watermelon....after they finish playing a game of basketball.
Suchthings I know
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/15/2008 10:34AM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You may be thinking about the sprintercentric baculum inuni floppus but it is not really an extra muscle.
Long distance guys aint got one anyhow.
no no no
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/15/2008 1:12PM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
somebody once told me that africans have more mitochondria in their cells than other races. they also said that they could have certain enzymes in their blood that can buffer lactic acid better. Dunno how true any of this is though
da truth be known
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/15/2008 2:45PM - in reply to stereoman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Whereas whites squeeze their penises on the downstroke, which compresses and shortens them, the blacks squeeze theirs on the upstroke, which stretches and elongates theirs. Now you know the reason for the looonnnnngggg black penises!!!!!!
Off the Grid
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/15/2008 4:46PM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Didn't Jimmy the Greek make this same comment about basketball players and the extra bone in their foot?
By Jimmy
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/15/2008 7:42PM - in reply to Off the Grid Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He said they had an extra foot 'of' bone not an extra foot bone.
curious...
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/21/2008 5:24PM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Curious... wrote:

sorry. what i meant to say instead of africans was myself, and instead of calf muscle i meant retard muscle.
Look at your calf
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/21/2008 5:46PM - in reply to Curious... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Look at your calf. You are African. Every person a earth is a from Kenya 60,000 years ago.
historyLesson
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 12/21/2008 8:22PM - in reply to Look at your calf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Look at your calf wrote:
Look at your calf. You are African. Every person a earth is a from Kenya 60,000 years ago.

Look at your thumbs. You are Eurasian. 16.5 million years ago great apes first appeared in Eurasia.
ANTISTEREOMAN
RE: Do Africans really have an extra calf muscle? 3/14/2012 8:02PM - in reply to stereoman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You Have To Be A Real Jerk Or Completely Racist To Make That Comment. I Pray You Don't Make Any Other Posts Similar That Magnitude Anywhere Else. You Should Pray For Yourself As Well.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |