Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Going to make some memories...
Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/8/2008 9:31PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi. Long story short. Im done with 4 years of college this spring and im thinking of just taking a summer off. Last summer me and 2 teammates (life long best friends ) took a month last summer and went to every national park in the Midwest that we could and just camped and traveled and ran and it was one of the best times of my life. But now this upcoming summer we want to take it one step farther and tape our adventures and log everything

We want to drifter as real drifters. Have no real plan or route. Just leave ( Michigan is the starting point) and drift travel. We figured we will start out in a car but hopefully make it to jumping trains and buses. Who knows this could be the time of our life.

*we are getting ready because a friend from high school went to the peace core and he is done in two years and is in south America and we want to attempt to drift from south America to the USA in 2 years while filming all of this.

Any help. Info. Advice all will be taken in as letsrun.com has made college xc funner all the way from attempting the Century club. 10,000 challenge and of course. The beer mile.

Thanks
Going to make some memories...
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/8/2008 9:34PM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Also we want to drift anywhere so any thoughts would be awesome. We have an ex teammate training in Oregon so we want to drift that way. Where as an old teammate now coaches in Kansas so we are planning on drifting that way also. Plus after watching storm chasers we wouldnt mind drifting through tornado alley to see what we find.
snatch
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/8/2008 9:40PM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've got a friend that is a drifter of sorts. He has a blog, google oilfreefun and you will find it (el vijae sin fin or something). Also, I have seen these new video cameras that are super cheap, and easy and have a male usb connector right on them. I think it is called the "flip." They record straight to flash memory. I think this would be a nice thing for a drifter to have. No tapes, real small, just upload your video when you get a chance.
leroybrown
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/8/2008 9:44PM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
hopefully you don't get pushed around by local law enforcement, end up on the run through the pacific northwest, stumble upon an old mine that gets blown up, and then find yourself a .60 cal machine gun in jerkwater, usa...
roymunson
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/8/2008 9:45PM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Great. Another moron who has just watched "Into the Wild".

Will you call mommy and daddy when you run out of cash?
ringo
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/8/2008 10:06PM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hear Tokyo has a great drifting scene
Wisenheimer
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/8/2008 10:21PM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A drifter does not need nor take advice. He just drifts. That's the point of it.
whirledpeas
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 12:15AM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you'll end up stabbed in the neck by a half-wit menace....it aint hollywood; it's dog-eat-dog.
Whoa Nelly!
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 9:35AM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Watch out for the Blair Witch
some runner
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 9:43AM - in reply to Wisenheimer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Wisenheimer wrote:
A drifter does not need nor take advice. He just drifts. That's the point of it.

Agreed. OP, don't make plans, just go where the winds of curiosity or circumstance lead you.

roymunson wrote:
Will you call mommy and daddy when you run out of cash?

This is a good point. OP, will you be 'funded' for this trip, or do you plan on just picking up cash jobs where you can find them. Parents' money funding the trip is just backpacking across the US. Earning your own way however you can is drifting.
ummm
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 9:51AM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Going to make some memories... wrote:

We figured we will start out in a car but hopefully make it to jumping trains and buses. Who knows this could be the time of our life.

Or the END of it, if you mean literally "jumping" (as opposed to *taking*) trains and buses.

Tons of people who jump trains are killed and maimed every year. Not bright.
seamac
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 9:57AM - in reply to ummm Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
wear hiking boots. i just took about 160 km on the road in my running shoes and my feet were destroyed by the end of it.
try this one
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 10:35AM - in reply to roymunson Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

roymunson wrote:

Great. Another moron who has just watched "Into the Wild".

exactly what i was thinking.
SlowFatMaster
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 11:04AM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
To become a Drifter you need to:

1) Go to "Spanish Harlem" which is

2) "On Broadway" When you get there

3) "Stand By Me"

4) "Up On The Roof"

Any questions? Ask Simon Cowell.
lucky charm
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 11:06AM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
supastar
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 11:18AM - in reply to ringo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ringo wrote:

There's no 'wax on wax off' of drifting. You learn by doin it. The first drifters invented drifting out in the mountains by feelin it. So feel it.
some runner
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 11:33AM - in reply to supastar Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

supastar wrote:

ringo wrote:

There's no 'wax on wax off' of drifting. You learn by doin it. The first drifters invented drifting out in the mountains by feelin it. So feel it.

wow, you totally missed it
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0463985/

drifting refers to cars in this sense
Waynes Fountain
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 12:04PM - in reply to some runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Peace Corps" not "Core".
Lou Sassol
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 12:37PM - in reply to some runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

some runner wrote:

supastar wrote:

ringo wrote:

wow, you totally missed it
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0463985/

drifting refers to cars in this sense

Wow, you totally missed it. It was a line straight from that movie.
Clint E
RE: Im going to become a Drifter. Need Advice 12/9/2008 12:39PM - in reply to Going to make some memories... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Go to the High Plains...
Pages: | 1 | 2 |