Henderson881
Lung damage from breathing air below freezing? 12/6/2008 10:33PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Over Thanksgiving my cousin told me that I could damage my lungs if I run when the temperature goes below freezing.
I just got back from a run and it was 57 degrees out. That's not insanely cold, but tonight it is supposed to get down to 34 degrees, so I'll have to be careful now. Has anyone here damaged their lungs from sub freezing temperatures?
good question
RE: Lung damage from breathing air below freezing? 12/6/2008 10:38PM - in reply to Henderson881 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
dunno if you can do actual damage, but if you have a condition (along the lines of excercise-induced asthma) cold can exacerbate the issue.
gromer
RE: Lung damage from breathing air below freezing? 12/6/2008 10:41PM - in reply to Henderson881 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
gromer
RE: Lung damage from breathing air below freezing? 12/6/2008 10:43PM - in reply to gromer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here's the full article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081205.wljockology05/BNStory/lifeMain/

"For most people, it's safe to conclude that, short of an asthma attack, exercising outside in the dead of winter is perfectly safe."
Blargh
RE: Lung damage from breathing air below freezing? 12/6/2008 10:43PM - in reply to Henderson881 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Damage? No. Not unless you're running in double digit negative temps (and even then, not likely). By the time the air hits your lung tissue, it is nowhere near freezing anyways, so no worries.

Only exception is the above mentioned cold-sensitive medical conditions.
I did 6 in -2 yesterday...
RE: Lung damage from breathing air below freezing? 12/6/2008 11:28PM - in reply to Henderson881 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well, as none of the 20 runs I've gone on in below-freezing temperatures in the last three weeks have cause lung damage, I would suggest you not worry. Your cousin is probably fat. And 57 degrees is effing balmy.
yesstiles
RE: Lung damage from breathing air below freezing? 12/6/2008 11:50PM - in reply to Henderson881 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Henderson881 wrote:

Over Thanksgiving my cousin told me that I could damage my lungs if I run when the temperature goes below freezing.
I just got back from a run and it was 57 degrees out. That's not insanely cold, but tonight it is supposed to get down to 34 degrees, so I'll have to be careful now. Has anyone here damaged their lungs from sub freezing temperatures?

LOL. No, you're fine. Your body heats the air instantly. I have run for an hour in -17F degrees and I was fine.
Treadmillionaire
RE: Lung damage from breathing air below freezing? 12/7/2008 12:06AM - in reply to yesstiles Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Haha. A fat coworker said something similar to me the other day. He was like, "Doesnt hurt you throat really bad when you breath the cold air." I laughed and told him no, not unless you breath like your huffing paint. Then I acted out the exagerated breaths in front of a group like a jackass. The funniest part is we live in central texas. He was talking about running in 50 degree weather. I told him I dont even need a jacket unless its under 40 and windy. He looked at me like I was the idiot.

I guess I am.