Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
<insert snide remark here>
How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 9:18AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
watching 24/7 on the box last nite, see these dudes out running but they don't look they are moving that fast. anybody ever hear what kind of pace they hold, how much distance they cover

on one of the earlier ones Floyd Mayweather came in from a run, said "just did 8"
angelo D
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 9:22AM - in reply to <insert snide remark here> Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
zone 1
F. Booth
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 9:42AM - in reply to angelo D Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Kelly Pavlik in ESPN magazine claims he runs 6 miles in 32 minutes but I'm not buying it.
Yanqui
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 9:49AM - in reply to F. Booth Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Visualize Smokin' Joe Frazier when you think of that question. The answer is not fast at all.
MDF
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 9:50AM - in reply to F. Booth Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Kelly ran the Youngstown Peace Race 10k (peacerace.org) the week of his last fight and I was very impressed
62 6 Kelly Pavlik, 26, Youngstown, OH 40:14.0 6:29
thinking 6:29 pace in impressive. He is very humble, heard he won an age group award and asked not to be called up.

However, it is not close to 32 minutes.
<insert snide remark here>
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 9:52AM - in reply to Yanqui Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
clearly the heavyweights didnt move fast at all and prolly didnt even do that much running. the lighter guys, pacquio and mayweather look they doing say 8 min pace to me

i dont see the benefit to train Zone 1 given boxing itself is highly anaerobic

perhaps its some old school philosophy holdover
eat right
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 9:55AM - in reply to MDF Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

MDF wrote:

Kelly ran the Youngstown Peace Race 10k (peacerace.org) the week of his last fight and I was very impressed
62 6 Kelly Pavlik, 26, Youngstown, OH 40:14.0 6:29
thinking 6:29 pace in impressive. He is very humble, heard he won an age group award and asked not to be called up.

However, it is not close to 32 minutes.

is it at all possible that the week before the fight that he did not go all out in this race???? think maybe he trained through it easy and was really targeting the fight the next week??
MTPO
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 9:59AM - in reply to eat right Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Grab a copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out and time their run in there.
lease
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 10:07AM - in reply to <insert snide remark here> Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
At least some pro fighters do their road work SLOW--like 10min/mile or slower--in a kind of shuffle. I have witnessed this personally.
ultra
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 10:08AM - in reply to <insert snide remark here> Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I sat next to a top ranked middle weight on a flight recently and was surprised to hear that he runs 40 miles/week. I don't think he pays as close attention to pace as most runners do, but it sounded like going out for a 10 miler at 8:00 pace was no big deal.
The Dina
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 11:26AM - in reply to <insert snide remark here> Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I once worked at a golf course in Brockton, Ma.
It bordered a park where we trained and raced.
Every now and then Marvin Hagler and Robbie Sims would pull up in a big Caddie.
I have no idea what pace they ran but it did look like a boxers motion and pretty slow. Also, they wore some pretty hefty looking Army boots!
o hara
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 12:01PM - in reply to <insert snide remark here> Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bruce lee reportedly did his 4-mile runs in 24 minutes
Not really
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 1:11PM - in reply to <insert snide remark here> Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It isn't really uncommon to see boxers running mid 40s, or 50s for weekly mileage, so I would be surprised if their weren't a couple out there who dropped 7:00/mile or so.
boom-boom mancini
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 1:21PM - in reply to angelo D Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In his prime (circa 1978-1982), Larry Holmes' basic run was a hilly 5 miler in right around 35 minutes.
fall down drunk
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 1:29PM - in reply to <insert snide remark here> Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

wrote:

i dont see the benefit to train Zone 1 given boxing itself is highly anaerobic

perhaps its some old school philosophy holdover

No, boxing is very much an aerobic activity, more so than an anaerobic one. Roadwork is very, very important for a fighter. Only Juan Diaz can avoid it and fight at a high level, but he replaces it with a similar amount of swimming.
boxing fan
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 1:35PM - in reply to <insert snide remark here> Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Oscar De La Hoya has reportedly been running his 10 milers at about 7000 feet of altitude (Big Bear) in prep for tonight's fight in 60 minutes flat.

Some boxers--esp in the lighter weight classes--Oscar weighed in yesterday at 145--are very good runners.
ytwon111
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 1:44PM - in reply to boxing fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
We see pavlik all the time in mill creek running...he usually is going pretty good around 7-730pace...and about the peace race 10k that he ran...he ran his last 2 miles in like 11flat so there was no way he was going all out the entire time..
Keith Stone
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 1:55PM - in reply to <insert snide remark here> Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I switched back to briefs so I have no idea.
charlie day
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 2:52PM - in reply to boxing fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

boxing fan wrote:

Oscar De La Hoya has reportedly been running his 10 milers at about 7000 feet of altitude (Big Bear) in prep for tonight's fight in 60 minutes flat.

Some boxers--esp in the lighter weight classes--Oscar weighed in yesterday at 145--are very good runners.

Absolutely, 100% no chance of 10 miles in 60 mins at 7k feet for De la Hoya. No chance he runs that at sea level, either. And I can't wait to see him take a beating tonight, by a man who is the antithesis to "the golden boy".
Special Eddie
RE: How fast do boxers run when they do roadwork 12/6/2008 3:04PM - in reply to ytwon111 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, and Mill Creek Park isn't exactly flat terrain for Pavlik.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |