Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Purifier
Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:06PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am a junior in highschool. My previous pr in the 8 was 2:06, at the end of the season. Well it's been a year, and of course I'm planning on training hard as hell. Yet, during the race, my strategy is focusing on pure hatred for those around me. My question is, what is the best way to channel this hate effectively?
Dr six six six
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:13PM - in reply to Purifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i guess it's ok, as long as you dont punch anyone.
K-warrior
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:20PM - in reply to Dr six six six Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Listen, I don't think that's going to work well. Why would you hate your teammates to begin with? That's no way to treat your teammates. Try running on love, not hate
a very old man with wings
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:20PM - in reply to Dr six six six Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
well i used to pretend i hated my bodies during races, and that seemed to work. the only problem with that method is i actually ended up hating my bodies instead of pretending to and i did horrible actions upon myself. i wouldnt go down that path if i were you because it doesnt end well. i have pictures if you want to see what happens
K-warrior
Listen, I don't think that's going to work well. Why would you hate your teammates to begin with? That's no way to treat your teammates. Try running on love, not hate
The Destroyer of Dreams
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:23PM - in reply to a very old man with wings Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No one wants to see your pictures. Okay, I'm sorry for what you did to yourself. I really am. But seriously, wtf?
atrrunner
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:24PM - in reply to Dr six six six Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't front run. Your mind will drift, and you may even start to feel compassion to your enemies--before they blow by you. Always have a visual of your object(s) of hate. Stick in maybe third for a while. Then think of the whoreish fool passing you with complete horror and rage. Let it build inside your soul then unleash it and kick them down like the bastards they are.
S m o k i n
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:34PM - in reply to atrrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Keep in mind that you're not just beating your opponents. You're beating their *families*, their *school*, their *town*, and *everything they stand for*.

Don't get dq'ed by throwing punches or calling your opponents hard names during/after the race. Instead, quietly demolish them, accept the congratulations and handshakes that are your rightful due, and then when no one's looking go into the parking lot and spit on their bus.

Then come on here and gloat. You're entitled.
wellnow
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:39PM - in reply to Purifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Purifier wrote:

My question is, what is the best way to channel this hate effectively?

Spike the infidels, trip up the unbelievers, shoulder barge the unclean ones, elbow the unpure ones in the ribs.
nicely
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:39PM - in reply to Purifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Fake or recalled anger and hatred doesn't work reliably in my experience. True rage works well for races under a mile, but it has to be something infuriating that happened recently before the start of the race. Restricted to things that you can control, I'd say good-ol' cheesy positive thinking and reinforcement both before and during the race works better than trying to make yourself angry. Doesn't sound as badass, but it works better.
AdamLocked
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:45PM - in reply to Purifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A+ Thread
Josue
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 12:51PM - in reply to Purifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Take a lesson from the Vikings. The night before your race, take mead and women like they're going out of style. Wake up the next day, get your uniform, spike up, and bite a shield right before you toe the starting line.

Howling and painting your face with woad are also acceptable. All of my training revolves around Berserkergang.
atrrunner
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 1:20PM - in reply to Purifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't listen to "nicely" (telling name). If it doesn't sound badass, WHY would you do it?

It is a proven fact that races are 9% preparation, 1% talent, and 90% Will to Win and Destroy. Remember that time in middle school cross country or track where you didn't know much about pacing or your place in the distance running world? You thought you could keep up with the leaders at conference by just Running HARDER and putting in a super hero effort like you see in the movies. You went home disappointed and seemingly a little bit wiser. Wrong, pussy. You didn't want it bad enough. You didn't hate them enough. Do you now?
a chick
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 1:21PM - in reply to Purifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Listen to music that makes you feel engry before the race. Music is an effective way to evoke emotion. Pick something energizing that pumps you up. Anger obviously is an emotion of energy. Imagine running the race like you want to run it while listening to the music -- mental rehearsal.
Geoffrey Beaumount
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 1:31PM - in reply to Purifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Purifier wrote:

My question is, what is the best way to channel this hate effectively?

The answer is very simple, really:

GET UGLY!!!!!
pkchu
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 1:40PM - in reply to Purifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You should get so mad that you boycott the race. THAT will show them!
a very old man with wings
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 1:53PM - in reply to a very old man with wings Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
im scanning my pictures now from my earlier years because the holes have healed over themselves now and are no longer appeared as they once used to resemble something unworldly. but anywyas i can post a link to myspace of these photos if anyone here has an interest because you should all be as warned as possible against the consequences of self loathe
ohio_miler
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 2:02PM - in reply to a very old man with wings Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Running on hate I have determined is a very stupid strategy for 1500m and above... but it is has its place in an 800. The majority of guys in an 800 hit the 400m mark with anticipation/anxiousness, and hit the 500m mark with downright dread.

The field will always start to slip on the turn in between these points and if you can turn it on at these points, it will help. Think about breaking people here, if you can maintain pace you will inch ahead of people, if you can accelerate you will gap them.
plethora of fiery burnenage
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 2:18PM - in reply to Purifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The night before the race lying in bed visualize your race. Imagine the first 200m going out fast, but controlled. The next 200m is effortless, just flowing. The 3rd 200m is where it starts to hurt, but it is also where your larger cojones show through and you start to move through the pack. At 600m you should be in 2nd or 3rd. Going into the turn you explode onto your toes and pump your arms hard. While you are doing this you should focus all of your energy into HATING your opponents. You don't want to just ease past them and coast to the finish, you want to crush them on that turn and then give them absolutely no hope in the straightaway. Visualize a man raping your wife and then burning your house to the ground while forcing you to look on. Visualize every coworker who got that promotion when you didn't. Visualize you catching a competitor who spat in your face on the starting line. Imagine chasing after a guy who stole something from you and wanting to beat his face into a bloody, pulpy mess.

When you are on the starting lime tense the muscles in your neck and hold your breath till it hurts. Follow this by pounding you chest and slapping your thighs till your eyes water, or until the first sign of blood, whichever comes first. Remember, real men always bleed before they cry, so that's what we're going for here. Flex the muscles in your chest and back. Then start screaming. Not yelling, not shouting, screaming is what we're going for. Sort of like the Alan Webb scream after his Olympic Trials victory in '04, but much more. Clearly it worked for him. Maybe if he had done that before the race 4 years later he would have done better.

Some notes

-spikes. You have them for a reason, and it's not for extra traction! If you know someone is right behind you, try and get em by flicking your heels back more. You can get someone in front of you too. Even someone to the side of you is fair game.
-shoulders-bumping someone with your shoulder is a great tactic. You can either bump someone into the infield a la that Italian guy Longo in the 800m, or, more likely, you can keep them too the outside.
-fists. hard objects on the end of your arms-I think it's pretty obvious what you do with them-use them to strike your competitors, what else would you do with them?
-The 800m race is too long to rage for the entire time, so try and stick to just the last 150-200m.
-Contrary to popular believe, you dont need to train for the 800m. However, you do need to practice your raging.

There are 4 types of rage that are practiced-
Pure Rage Power
Pure Rage Capacity
Concealed Rage Power
Concealed Rage Capacity

Power is more important and is developed by specific instances in your life that have made you angry. Failing that test in 9th grade algebra probably qualified you for states, and your dad grounding you helped you win it. However, rage power will not be effective without rage capacity. This is influenced by continuous shit goin down around you. Try and live somewhere ghetto like Khadavis Robinson. That guy doesn't train, he just has nearly perfected his rage capacity.

Concealed rage is similar but more subtle then pure rage. Your girlfriend mentioning her previous boyfriend would help build this, as would your professor generally being a douchebag. There are instances where you would be pissed off but need to conceal it, similar to the first 600m of a race.

Also Sebastian Coe-he didn't run much distance, just rage sessions on the track with short recovery. He was also very good because his father peter always pissed him off, giving him a massive rage capacity.

Wilson Kipketer was probably the greatest rager of all. He perfected the concealed rage. This most potent rage of all is hidden from your competitors, and thus it impedes their raging ability. I think his concealed rage capacity was due to having three wives.

Peter Snell was a very good rageneer. Lydiard was a good coach not because of his 100 mile weeks (which were in fact false), but because he inspired such rage in his athletes. Such an inspiration. His sessions of 100power rage/100 concealed rage for 2 miles were highly effective. He also advocated hill rage bounding sessions, but thats another story.

Nick symmonds-the rage is there
Andrew Wheating-the rage power is there, but he needs more capacity. Moving to the hood could supply this
Christian Smith. out-raged KD in the last few meters at the OT. Very immpressive. He will rage to a 1:43 one of these days.
badassly, formerly nicely
RE: Running the 800 on pure hate 11/17/2008 2:18PM - in reply to atrrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

atrrunner wrote:

If it doesn't sound badass, WHY would you do it?

It is a proven fact that races are 9% preparation, 1% talent, and 90% Will to Win and Destroy.
I can't possibly counter this argument. It's ironclad. It seems I've had it wrong all along; wasn't being badass enough. AAAAAHHHGG!! TO THINK OF ALL THE TIME I'VE WASTED BEING SUCH A PUSSY!!
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |