Running with stuff
Question: Can running with weights make you faster? Geb and Komen did... 11/3/2008 1:48PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Geb was famous for running back and forth as a youth holding his school books.

Komen supposedly was forced by his coach to run with a weighted tube around his waist because he would routinely crush his teammates in practice without it. Bet that tired him out and kept him under pressure!

Anyone else ever run with a weighty object on your person? (And not just keys/cellphone/cock/wallet/ID, something substantial)
luitenent yeagerman
RE: Question: Can running with weights make you faster? Geb and Komen did... 11/3/2008 2:40PM - in reply to Running with stuff Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe, although this might upset running form and make you ineffecient
topcoach
RE: Question: Can running with weights make you faster? Geb and Komen did... 11/3/2008 3:22PM - in reply to Running with stuff Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Coach colleague made his senior elite mens xc team wear ankle weights when not running/training to build powerful and strong ankles/legs.
They were allowed to take them off when sleeping though!
Heard that some runners wear aweighted jacket also when doing easy runs.
Dont know if these benefit performance or not!
running is running
RE: Question: Can running with weights make you faster? Geb and Komen did... 11/16/2008 12:12AM - in reply to topcoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
Frank has serious shakiras
RE: Question: Can running with weights make you faster? Geb and Komen did... 11/16/2008 12:48AM - in reply to Running with stuff Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ve been doing this for a while yes.
I tied a couple of spare tires around my hips.

Lino is currently copying me.
coachbiden
RE: Question: Can running with weights make you faster? Geb and Komen did... 11/16/2008 7:25AM - in reply to Frank has serious shakiras Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you are going to use weights while running, wear a weighted vest....weights around the ankles are about the worst thing you can do, very unsafe.
The weights add minimal calorie burn....it would be better to just lift weights in the gym.
marijuologist
RE: Question: Can running with weights make you faster? Geb and Komen did... 11/16/2008 7:58AM - in reply to Running with stuff Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you are misguided enough to run with added weight, at least have the sense to put it on your torso rather than your extremities.
the comeback
RE: Question: Can running with weights make you faster? Geb and Komen did... 11/16/2008 8:02AM - in reply to Running with stuff Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wouldn't running uphill do the same thing?