Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
oldtimeguy
Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/23/2008 8:19PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I recently saw the article about how Al Salazar pulled Galen Rupp out of the meet last weekend because there were too many ruts on the course.

I figured we should do Nike and co. a big favor by starting an official list of Rupp certified courses. A Rupp certified course is a course with no ruts, no pot-holes, stray tree limbs, sharp turns, etc. Nothing that anyone might trip or slip on. Basically we're looking for courses that can be described as track meets on grass.

So I urge you to get with your teammates and come to a consensus and have one of you post whether your home course is Rupp certified or not.

Please use the following format.
Team ******'s Home Course
NOT Rupp Certified or Rupp Certified
Justifcation:******

I'll give two examples.

Van Cortlandt Park 2008
Rupp Certified
Justification: Groomed back hills. Cinder path on flats is better than cart paths on even 5 star golf courses.

Van Cortlandt Park 1988
Location, Bronx, NY
NOT Rupp Certified
Justification: Broken beer bottles in back hills, lots of tree roots.
useful thread
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/23/2008 8:27PM - in reply to oldtimeguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
CU Home Course (i.e Rocky Mountain Shootout)
Boulder, CO
NOT Rupp Certified
Justification: Mainly dirt, but footing can be inconsistent, especially when affected by Altitude. Jawbone Hill can be slippery and crowded.
washed up has been
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/23/2008 8:33PM - in reply to useful thread Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Might as well toss this picture on the seal so you know the course is legit and not an impostor Rupp certified course

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/6590/rupp5ksogaytb6.jpg
rojo
co-founder
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/23/2008 8:57PM - in reply to useful thread Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The Other CU Home Course (Cornell University's Moakley Course)
Ithaca, NY
NOT Rupp Certified
Justification: There is a huge downhill and uphill in the last mile known as the gorge. Going down and up this alone would make it way too dangerous. Throw in rut after rut in the middle of the gorge plus and a billion fallen leaves that make it wetter than a slip n' slide and you have a course that is a trial lawyer's dream.

As I was trying to make the gorge safer today for our home meet tmw, I actually thought to myself, "No way would Salazar let Rupp run this thing."

I probably shouldn't let my guys run it tomorrow but the gorge is a tradition.
duder
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/24/2008 3:38AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
ihsa state xc - detweiller park, peoria, il

Rupp Certified

flat, repetitive, circular. sounds like a glorified track to me.
yes, it is me
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/24/2008 4:58AM - in reply to duder Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've been turned off by all of the Rupp-bashing that goes on here, but I will concede, this Rupp Certified thing is quite funny.

Perhaps all Rupp Certified courses should have a gilded litter available with a team of 8 strong Nubian attendants and scores of flaxen-haired maidens adorned in babys breath lining the course, dropping rose petals in his path?

Image: http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/1009/50214235.JPG
thisguythatguy
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/24/2008 8:10AM - in reply to oldtimeguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Summary of recent NCAA Championships courses:

Indiana State Home Course
Terre Haute, IN
Rupp Certified*

*Dry conditions only. When wet, there could be mud, which could be squishy and lead to decertification.

Northern Iowa Home Course
Waterloo, IA
Not Rupp Certified
There is no Pilates facility within 100 miles. Where is Rupp supposed to limber up before the race?

Iowa State Home Course
Ames, IA
Not Rupp Certified
They held NCAA's there and the wind chill was below zero. Your Breathe-Right strip could freeze up in those conditions!

Furman U. Home Course
Greenville, SC
Not Rupp Certified
Too many cart path crossings and there is a hill that made Shalane Flanagan walk. Alberto's heart couldn't handle the danger!

Indiana U. Home Course
Bloomington, IN
Rupp Certified
Oh wait, I forgot about the switchbacks at the mile mark that get pretty hairy. Never mind.
DECERTIFIED!
Run the meet on the indoor track.

Kansas U. Home Course: Rim Rock Farm
Lawrence, KS
NOT Rupp Certified
They don't have a silhouette figure of Alberto OR Pre. Blasphemy! Rupp won't run it until they do. Besides, I heard the Billy Mills ascent had too many woodchips on it.
i letsrun too much
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/24/2008 8:24AM - in reply to oldtimeguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Oklahoma State University Jamboree
Stillwater, OK
NOT Rupp Certified
Justification: Wood chip hills and cattle barriors to jump. No way AlSal allows Rupp on this course.
George P.
Too Important to Race 10/24/2008 9:20AM - in reply to oldtimeguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You've heard of banks being "too important to fail." Rupp seems to have attained the rare distiction of being "too important to race."
not rupp
RE: Too Important to Race 10/24/2008 10:40AM - in reply to George P. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

George P. wrote:

You've heard of banks being "too important to fail." Rupp seems to have attained the rare distiction of being "too important to race."

Too bad for rupp/salazar/nike that there isn't a way for rupp to win NCAA's without actually racing anybody.

At NCAA's Nike should set up a separate exhibition time trial just for rupp, no "treacherous" hills, trails, ruts, faster runners, competition, spikes etc. Rupp could even be paced by one of his *actual* team mates like Goucher. The lesser talented "college" competitors would compete for the distinction of... well who cares anyway. Distance running is all about gaylen rupp/alsal/nike.

If only there was a way for everyone to appreciate rupp's immense talent and appeal without all this ugly competition and talk of who's actually best.

What about "gaylen rupp" the musical.

J. Haze
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/24/2008 10:49AM - in reply to oldtimeguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Mt.Sac would pass now. In 1999 they took the cross country out of it (and lots of it original length).
Centennial BLVD
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/24/2008 11:04AM - in reply to oldtimeguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You guys do realize that Oregon's home course is not Rupp Certified?

Oregon Home Course
Alton Baker Park
Eugene, Oregon
NOT Rupp Certified*

Gopher holes everywhere. It would take multiple violations of US Fish and Wildlife regulations to bring that course up to certification.

Rain: smears his makeup.
Go Irish!
RE: Too Important to Race 10/24/2008 11:09AM - in reply to not rupp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Perhaps he should just have a 5 minute head start and be the lone entrant in the "elite race" at NCAAs?

not rupp wrote:

George P. wrote:

Too bad for rupp/salazar/nike that there isn't a way for rupp to win NCAA's without actually racing anybody.

At NCAA's Nike should set up a separate exhibition time trial just for rupp, no "treacherous" hills, trails, ruts, faster runners, competition, spikes etc. Rupp could even be paced by one of his *actual* team mates like Goucher. The lesser talented "college" competitors would compete for the distinction of... well who cares anyway. Distance running is all about gaylen rupp/alsal/nike.

If only there was a way for everyone to appreciate rupp's immense talent and appeal without all this ugly competition and talk of who's actually best.

What about "gaylen rupp" the musical.

g.g.g
RE: Too Important to Race 10/24/2008 11:11AM - in reply to Go Irish! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
[quote]Go Irish! wrote:

Perhaps he should just have a 5 minute head start and be the lone entrant in the "elite race" at NCAAs?

[quote]

Rupp and crew might just go for this.

Lone entrant... Classic!
chunk
RE: Too Important to Race 10/24/2008 1:40PM - in reply to g.g.g Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Love this thread. I think this move was by far the one I least respect Rupp/Salazar for. Or perhaps it just adds on to the ridiculousness that is the Rupp/Salazar combo. I'll admit that I'm a hater of almost all technology ( though the computer is pretty cool, I play Madden, and I have a two and a half year old cell phone), but Salazar/Nike/Rupp have gone way over the top. Sure, people have the right to buy all the stuff they want that they think will make them better, but why not make it simple and JUST DO IT the old fashioned way--the ol' Oregon way (RUN YOUR ASS OFF)!!!
trialswatcher
RE: Too Important to Race 10/24/2008 2:42PM - in reply to chunk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Folks are making too much of Rupp NOT running some meaningless BS meet. I am not a fan of his total lack of racing in all his seasons, but this is not a big deal.

That said, this is one of the funniest threads I have ever read.
Blaze
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/24/2008 3:17PM - in reply to oldtimeguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
North Central College
NOT RUPP CERTIFIED
Justification: It's a cross country course :-P
yetanotherchick
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/24/2008 3:35PM - in reply to Blaze Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
McAlpine Park (Foot Locker South course)
Charlotte NC
RUPP CERTIFIED

It's been a very long time since I've run this course, but I thought of it as soon as I saw this thread. I think I took 20 seconds off my cross-country PR there, it was so smooth.

Also, if you see the word "rupp" enough times, it starts to look funny.

rupp rupp rupp rupp rupp rupp rupp

I'm sorry, I'm extremely immature.
I bite
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/24/2008 3:36PM - in reply to Blaze Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Penn State University
NOT Rupp Certified
Justification: First mile is dangerously downhill. Too many tree roots around mile 2.

Lehigh University
Rupp Certified
Justification: Like running along an airport moving walkway
rupp over there
RE: Official Is Your Home XC Course Rupp Certified? 10/24/2008 3:41PM - in reply to oldtimeguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
More to the point, is it pasteurized?
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |