Need to get in shape quick
How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/6/2008 2:15PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There is a 5k coming up in one month with a good prize. I got first last year with a 18:20(well, I got beat by a few college guys, but since they couldn't accept the prize, I got to accept it.) This course is pretty hilly.

I'm a former college runner, I gradutated in 06. I've trained off and on since then, nothing like while in college. I've not been able to train much at all during this summer or yet this fall.

I've been running about 10 miles a week(two five mile runs at 7 minute pace). I do commute on my bike every day, so I'm not completely out of shape. I'm guessing I could run around 19 for 5k today, maybe 18:30, on a flat course.

I've got one month to train, what should I do training wise to run the fastest 5k possible?
gamecock
RE: How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/6/2008 2:29PM - in reply to Need to get in shape quick Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In that short a time, there's not a whole lot of real training you can do. If you only need an 18:20 and you're in 19 shape right now, probably the best thing you can do is just run more and build a bigger aerobic base. Sounds like you already have the requisite speed, just need to hold it a little longer. Since there's hills, it would be ideal if you could do some work on those some.
jb3200
RE: How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/6/2008 2:44PM - in reply to Need to get in shape quick Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dont run it.. I am not in college anymore so I will accept the prize..been running 15mpw and still can run 16's. Unless you want to bust your balls and do 800's and 400's 3 times a week..plus up the mileage..but that will probably only give u 18:22...good luck!
yetanotherchick
RE: How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/6/2008 2:52PM - in reply to Need to get in shape quick Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I don't think you can build enough of a "base" in a month to make any difference. Run ~25 mpw and do workouts. In specific, do a combination long run/tempo run of ~8 miles. Just push as hard as you can without blowing up. Do it every weekend until the race.

Certainly it's not a smart way to train, but if you were wanting that, you wouldn't be trying to race a 5K in a month.
mother clucker
RE: How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/6/2008 3:06PM - in reply to Need to get in shape quick Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
2 - 5 mile time trials every 3rd day.
Phaedrus
RE: How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/6/2008 3:21PM - in reply to Need to get in shape quick Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't listen to these haters. There's no reason to train longer than one month for a 5k. You've got four weeks, so you can ramp up your training for three weeks and then taper and rest the last one.

Make it a lite version of a real 5k training plan. Do long runs on the weekend. And by long, I mean like 6-8 miles. Mix up some (really pathetic) V02 max, tempo, and speed workouts. Mile repeats. 20 minute tempos. Quarters. And if you can do so without breaking your body, do some junk miles (3-4 mile runs).

Truthfully, it's debatable how much these will really help your fitness. But if you're really out of shape and unaccustomed to racing right now, I think you can benefit from re-exposing your body to running hard at different speeds. You're not trying to win the Olympics here. You're a talented runner trying to run a mediocre time; you should be able to see some benefit within a few weeks.
RE: How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/6/2008 3:41PM - in reply to jb3200 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

jb3200 wrote:

Dont run it.. I am not in college anymore so I will accept the prize..been running 15mpw and still can run 16's. Unless you want to bust your balls and do 800's and 400's 3 times a week..plus up the mileage..but that will probably only give u 18:22...good luck!

Haha, I'm running it buddy. I may not take home the prize, but I'm going to have fun trying. I plan on keeping this updated with my workouts. Hopefully this thread won't be as bad as eddylee's "i won't stop until I break 4:00 for 1500" thread. It probably will be though seeing as I'm not very fast and people on here don't really care too much about washed up slow folk like myslef making another run for glory. But maybe it will be amusing if nothing else.
ripvanracer
RE: How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/6/2008 8:16PM - in reply to Need to get in shape quick Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had an accident 4 years ago and haven't been able to run much. Last year on absolutely no running, I ran a couple 5k's in 21:30-22:00.

I was able to start training this spring and ran two days a week (12-14 miles) for about a month. My first race was 19:15, so just that month of running I improved 2 minutes over no running. I continued to run 2 days a week for another 3 months and got down to 18:15.

The fastest way to get in shape is speedwork. Do one day of intervals (400-800). One day of a long tempo (5 miles) and one day race or short tempo. The other days can be easy running or crosstraining. You should be able to knock a minute off the time you could run right now.
RE: How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/13/2008 4:39PM - in reply to Need to get in shape quick Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Okay, I've trained one week. I'm pretty much running by feel. I don't have a schedule. I fit runs in when I can, which is difficult with my work schedule. I got 5 runs in in 7 days. I ran about 30 miles

One run I incoroparted some hills, since the 5k I'm doing is pretty hilly. One workout I did on the track just to see how my body could handle a fast pace compared to what I've been doing. I ran a 5:20 mile. I felt like it hurt a lot more than it should have. I then ran a half and a quarter at the same pace. I felt like I couldn't handle that pace for a 5k now, but in a few weeks of consistint running, maybe I could stay at least somewhat close to that.

I've decided my goal is to beat my time of 18:20 from last year. I won a sweet prize last year with that(thanks to college guys not being able to accept the prize) and I think if I'm consistant up till then, I can do that.
sounds good to me
RE: How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/13/2008 5:34PM - in reply to Need to get in shape quick Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
well a 5:20 miles in itself is pretty much on par with a 18:30 5k (assuming 5k was on a track). Considering you culd continue for a 800 and 400 at that pace, You could probably run 18:20 right now. Assuming the workout wasnt all out.
bnjnb8979
RE: How should I train for a 5k in one month? 10/13/2008 5:38PM - in reply to sounds good to me Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

sounds good to me wrote:

well a 5:20 miles in itself is pretty much on par with a 18:30 5k (assuming 5k was on a track). Considering you culd continue for a 800 and 400 at that pace, You could probably run 18:20 right now. Assuming the workout wasnt all out.

dont you mean 16:30