yup
Scholarship after quitting team 9/18/2008 10:39PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm just wondering what happens to an Athletic Scholarship when you quit the team. The NCAA rules state that voluntarily leaving the team for personal reasons results in immediate cancellation of aid.
Does this mean that you simply won't get aid for the next semester and thereafter?
Or does this mean that you will have to pay money for the current semester too, even though the finances for that semester are already settled with the bursar?
Moo
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/18/2008 10:42PM - in reply to yup Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why would you quit anyways?
ARealCoach
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/18/2008 11:24PM - in reply to yup Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Some schools will "pro-rate" (sp?) your scholarship depending at what point in the semester you quit. If you quit half-way through the semester they will expect you to pay for 50% of that semester's scholarship back.

True story - I was an assistant at a Midwestern Division I school and we were on a spring break trip in Arizona. I was rooming with the head coach. We had a meet on the first weekend of our trip. A female heptathlete comes to talk to the head coach after the first day of the heptathlon. She tells him that she can't take the pressure of Division I athletics and is quitting. She couldn't have thought of that 48 hours earlier before our flight took off?

The head coach was fuming all week because the administration wouldn't let him fly her home without a coach accompanying her! At least she got a nice trip out of it!

The next fall she appealed her scholarship being cut!!!
popper
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/18/2008 11:58PM - in reply to yup Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yup there always people like you that want something for nothing. You are part of the latest in our country that think you should be able to quit a week into the year and keep your money because the athletics department has paid your school costs. Pathetic!
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 1:23AM - in reply to popper Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
when you quit, from that moment, the meter starts running. You can and should be billed for any time after that.

It is not settled with the bursar. You were paid upfront, and the NCAA says that can be changed.

That is why scholarships should be paid at the end of the year instead of the beginning. That may make kids think about the choices they make and their consequences.
ARealDIcoach
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 7:03AM - in reply to .............................. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Different schools have different policies, so it will be up to your school to decide. Even though the NCAA policy is if you quit, the scholly is gone, some schools will pro-rate it from the time you quit, while others will allow the financial aid to extend to the end of the semester before cutting it. I know of some that will even mandate the aid continue through the end of the academic year. I once had a guy quit the team, voluntarily sign off on it, decide over the summer he really liked the money, appeal it, and I was forced to give him his cash until he graduated (really). The kicker was he wasn't even on the team any longer. Different schools do things very differently.

Good luck.
jasmine
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 7:46AM - in reply to ARealDIcoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sometimes an athletic department will use a scholarship to screw up participation numbers. To avoid reporting an athlete who quits, scholarships are extended and rosters not updated. The idea here is if that athlete had a good gpa, it raises the team gpa. If the team apr is bad, pretending the guy never quit can mitigate the pain a bit. finally if the roster is too small, say the AD demands so many runner son the roster or funding gets reduced, this is a way around it.

I came from a school with horrible apr last year and just suspected the apr thing made my coach fudge the roster all the time. A girl on a full ride quits befor the second race of the season, and gets to keep her scholarship all year? A girl who has sat out the last year and a half due to hip injuries keeps her 10% and a spot on the roster? only speculation, but it made more sense to me than generosity.
R.L. Scribner
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 8:36AM - in reply to .............................. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

.............................. wrote:
That is why scholarships should be paid at the end of the year instead of the beginning. That may make kids think about the choices they make and their consequences.

The whole point of the scholarship is to pay for school. Giving the money to them at the end would defeat the purpose.
running down a dream
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 8:53AM - in reply to jasmine Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

jasmine wrote:
A girl who has sat out the last year and a half due to hip injuries keeps her 10% and a spot on the roster? only speculation, but it made more sense to me than generosity.

If the injuries were due to running, then this is fine to me. Are you going to cut a football players scholorship when he tears his ACL in the first few weeks of the season?
so glad Im not there anymore
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 9:02AM - in reply to jasmine Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just try and hang in there until the end of the semester and then quit. That's what I did. Man, running for my coach those last 2 months was the worst experience of my life (you guys have no idea), but I waited until the semester was over and then quit. If I had quit earlier, I'd still be here on the computer, but I'd have a few less thousand dollars in the bank.
yup
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 1:38PM - in reply to popper Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You don't even know the situation so don't even start with that...
race face
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 2:16PM - in reply to yup Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just fake an injury.
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 2:25PM - in reply to R.L. Scribner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

R.L. Scribner wrote:

The whole point of the scholarship is to pay for school. Giving the money to them at the end would defeat the purpose.

School would be paid for, at the end. That way they can't screw around with their responsibilities. Want to drink and therefore run poorly? Want to stuff your face and therefore run poorly, want to skip class and hurt our GPA, no problem, pay for school yourself.
Surprise!
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 3:32PM - in reply to .............................. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

School would be paid for, at the end. That way they can't screw around with their responsibilities. Want to drink and therefore run poorly? Want to stuff your face and therefore run poorly, want to skip class and hurt our GPA, no problem, pay for school yourself.

And how to you propose they collect the money at the end of the year. Seriously, this is one of the dumbest things I've read on here.

I can see this in court.

"Your honor, I have a record here of everything Johnny Scholarship has eaten during this past sememster. This clearly shows that the cheeseburger he ate in week 7 of the semester was the cause of a poor performance at the conference meet."

Scholarship revoked.
Doc Brown
RE: Scholarship after quitting team 9/19/2008 3:41PM - in reply to popper Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

popper wrote:

Yup there always people like you that want something for nothing. You are part of the latest in our country that think you should be able to quit a week into the year and keep your money because the athletics department has paid your school costs. Pathetic!

Take it easy, Butt Munch. I think the guy is just trying to find out if he'll be expected to pay back scholarship money already earned. What makes you think he's looking for a free ride? Maybe he's just trying to prep for the financial implications of quitting the team.