Ryan Warrenburg
Hip adhesions 9/11/2008 5:10PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have been following this post for a while as I have experienced similar problems to all of you. I recently had an MRI and the results showed lots of adhesions all along the lateral side of my hip around my glute medius and TFL area. This is the area that has been giving me problems. I was told it is almost as if those muscles, all bound together, are in a constant state of spasm, which is what it feels like when I run. I was recommended Rolfing, so I'm going to look into it. I found the following below that seems to accurately describe the problem, I thought you all might be interested.

Hip pain, while often assumed to be the result of arthritis, is often simply due to injury or irritation to the soft tissue surrounding the hip. When not arthritic in nature, hip pain is most commonly ‘hip bursitis’ or ‘IT Band tendonitis’. These types of hip pain can be the result of either trauma (like sprains or muscle strains) or chronic, repetitive strain (like swinging a golf club, lifting, bending or running).

(While significant muscle tears, bone fractures or arthritis can cause hip pain, it is far more common to be the result of tendonitis and/or bursitis.) There are several different factors that can contribute to the problem. Inflammation, muscle spasm, soft tissue adhesion and fibrosis, mechanical joint irritation, poor posture, altered foot bio-mechanics, nerve irritation and muscle weakness are some of the more crucial factors involved with hip pain. Often when prior treatment has proven unsuccessful, it may be due to not having one or more of these factors properly addressed.

Chronic hip pain is often the end result of a vicious circle that starts with irritated or injured tissue. This leads to inflammation and muscle spasm, which in turn causes not only nerve irritation and pain but more importantly results in the formation of soft tissue adhesions. These adhesions scar-up the tissue and lead to dysfunctional soft tissues, which are more easily irritated or injured… and the whole cycle continues indefinitely.

In the case of hip bursitis or tendonitis, the muscle / tendon / bursa overlying the hip bone may be affected by inflammation, spasm or scarring (adhesions). This inflammation and soft tissue adhesions prevent the smooth movement of the ilio-tibial band (IT band) tendons causing friction and further irritation, inflammation and pain in the tissues.

Often with hip pain, the root cause may lie in altered or poor foot mechanics – the result of pronation or ‘flat feet’. These changes at the foot and ankle lead to functional changes up at the level of the hip, causing more strain on the soft tissues surrounding the hip.

At Maloney Chiropractic, we offer a wide variety of treatment options tailored to treat your specific problems, by tackling the hip pain at its root cause(s). In fact, our well-rounded approach allows us to successfully treat many cases of hip pain where other treatments have failed.

Active Release Techniques (ART) soft tissue therapy, joint manipulation, custom fit foot orthotics, Trigger Point therapy and other soft tissue therapies, lower extremity strengthening exercises and stretches are some of the most common approaches that we use in alleviating hip pain, though if it’s ever apparent that you need treatment

Miss Osage County wrote:

Mlbfan24, Sorry to hear about your tough decision... :-(

But hey, since you've decided to try the 2-mile alumni race anyway, I have an idea for you to try. My latest discovery is that if I scrunch up/curl under my toes on my bad leg, it instantly cures my supination and knee splay. No kidding. I can look down and see my left foot striking straight on like my good leg/foot on the right, and rather than splaying, my kneecap is in direct alignment with my ankle and hip. I have been running 80mpw like this. Crazy, maybe... but I've tried so many things and the pseudo-arch I'm able to create doing this somehow acts as a fair spring to absorb shock and allow my upper leg muscles like hams and gluts to fire properly. If I scrunch the toes it forces the muscles in my foot to activate and I can control my foot strike and plant much more effectively. Somebody might say that's bad for your toes, but I could care less about my toes if it helps the loss of muscle coordination problem!

Good luck and let me know if you try it. Warning though that it might feel odd at first and it can be challenging to do it downhill...
BamaCoyote
RE: Hip adhesions 9/12/2008 11:38PM - in reply to Ryan Warrenburg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My problem is similar but not totally the same as some of you. First of all I hurt my back several times carrying too much weight and Squatting. I lived with this terrible back pain for ten years because the orthopedist a the time told me he could operate but that should be last resort.Well in a way I got used to the pain but there was no way to forget it.I had sciatica with pains shooting down my right leg and I could tell I walked different. My back hurt most while lying in bed or standing still but it hurt all the time.

So, fast forward to about three and a half years ago. I go see another doc about my back and they x-rayed and he showed them to me and asked,"did you know you have a bad back?)LOL I said hell yeah I know it and it hurts like hell and pain shoots down my right leg. He said you have what is called spondylethisis spelling.....disc L4 AND L5 were totally degenerated and at this spot my spine thrust forward so it was pinching on my spinal column.
Well I had surgery on my back and they fused L4 and L5 Together. It was a painful surgery but my only excercise they told me was to walk...I walked religously for five months then said this takes too long and started running so that is what got me into running.
Oh i had lost an inch in height due to the degenerated disc and the surgery put me back at 5ft. 9 in.

Now my point about all of this is my right leg felt weird the whole time after the surgery but the farther I got away from it I knew there was something wrong with my right leg. When i walk it's not as noticeable but when i run it is. At first my right foot got numb all the time after a mile or two of running and I can tell that the gait of my right leg is nothing like my left one. If I run all out then it isn't as noticable to me but in pace workouts I can tell. The numbness has been gone for awhile now but my right foot doesn't function normal or so I think it doesn't. The doc said I had nerve damage from living with the bad back so long and that some of my leg or all of it may return to normal or some may but it may never be totally normal. So far after 3.5 years some of it has returned to normal and I guess I need to be grateful for that but if my right leg would move like my left I could really get down as a Master.

Such along story to tell Y'all that some of you may have nerve problems......good luck each and everyone of you and I hope you all get the problem solved. BamaCoyote
PS On all of my runs I always try to move my bad leg exactly how my good leg is working. This helps some but it still feels weird.
Miss Osage County
RE: Hip adhesions 9/13/2008 1:00AM - in reply to Ryan Warrenburg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Go Sun Devils--- we've got to stick together ;-)

Thanks for your post, Ryan. I stumbled on this without realizing you quoted my post from the other thread.

I just posted on the other thread that some docs at Mayo diagnosed me with dystonia just this week. But, I'm not convinced. (Yeah, know-it-all me, I don't even believe the docs at the Mayo...) Have you seen Phil Wharton while up in Flagstaff? I've been rereading his back book pgs. 26-30 over and over the last few weeks since my toe-curling discovery and it rings true with me--- he talks about muscles up the leg/hip/back getting affected/shutting down/working improperly because of problems that start with the arches and flat feet. When I figured out I could somewhat correct my loss of coordination problem with curling under my toes to create a pseudo-arch as I previously posted, I was convinced I was onto something. Back in college I had my right accessory navicular removed, 2 tendons reconstructed and a screw inserted in my ankle to maintain the integrity of my arch and reduce the likelihood the arch would fall and strain the reconstructions. Now years later I have this problem on my left leg and I can see my left foot is horribly flat with a large, prominent navicular knob sticking out the side. I can feel my left foot hitting the ground differently than my right when I walk even, let alone run. BUT, I was told from the beginning that this would not contribute or cause my loss of coordination problem. From the get go, I was told it was a muscle imbalance/weakness issue and went from there. When I felt that wasn't working despite years of strengthening exercises, I then got hooked on the theory that my problem must be neuromusclar and due to a somehow damaged sciatic, that my muscles couldn't strengthen because they weren't getting the message from the nerve, since the nerve wasn't firing properly. But, the guys at Mayo I saw just this week said there are NO neuromuscular disorders that cause decreased muscle tone, which I definitely have in my weaker, problematic left leg. So, I think therefore, that their dystonia diagnosis (neuromuscular disorder) must thus be faulty because I DO have decreased muscle tone in my bad left leg. Add to that clue the clue that the toe curling is helping, and I think it is all coming from my flat left foot with the accessory navicular. Your feet are your foundation, right? Imagine having a big gumball jammed into the side of your foot, and even if it didn't cause pain, how would that additional large object shift/change/alter your foot over 10 years of pounding out the miles???

I'm sorry to hear of your injury troubles, too. I've had ART, graston, ASTYM, done the AIS, you name it I've tried it, and have a well-loved foam roller I've been abusing since Sept 2005. BUT, I will take your advice and really focus even more on the IT band specifically. I'm also going to get orthotics. (I cannot even begin to explain how much of an idiot I will feel like if that is all it takes after all this time and heartache.) Thank you very much!
foomiler
RE: Hip adhesions 9/15/2008 2:43AM - in reply to Miss Osage County Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Orthotics may or may not help, I don't really know for sure, but consider their actual PURPOSE, which is to help the patient adopt proper foot mechanics.

I think u r headed the right direction, but maybe u could get a knowledgeable running coach or biomechanics expert to analyse your running form, esp your foot mechanics, b4 getting orthotics. Maybe this will get at the problem from the root and help u fix this for good, with or without "crutches".
Miss Osage County
RE: Hip adhesions 9/16/2008 12:10PM - in reply to foomiler Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the post foomiler. The person I'm seeing for orthotics does assess biomechanics as well beforehand.

This is the guy I'm seeing for analysis and orthotics- Nate Koch. He was highly recommended to me.

http://www.endurancerehab.com/about/staff-scottsdale.php