weezy f baby
What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 7/31/2008 1:28PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am no expert on sports physiology and don't even know that much about VO2 max and oxygen intake. But i remember the other day my mom was telling me how they tested Lance Armstrong at the University of Texas and they tested his aerobic ability. I am asuming it is VO2 max or something like that. My mom (who is an idiot) was saying no one else on the planet had a level as high as his (which i highlhy doubted). Does anybody know what i am talking about?????
SMJO
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 7/31/2008 1:54PM - in reply to weezy f baby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Probably everybody here does. Lance was told as a youngster that nobody had tested as high as him but later figures of his V02 max are just typical of an elite endurance athlete.
About 80-85 ml/kg.
There are several recorded higher numbers from other cyclists including Merkxx, Indurain and Lemond. Lance was unique in the percentage of max oxygen uptake he could sustain for extended periods.
But no, Lance isn't the highest ever recorded. You can bet that almost all the top endurance athletes have similar numbers. It goes with the territory.
ibeliever
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 7/31/2008 2:07PM - in reply to SMJO Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I heard it was a perfect 100%

I also heard he has some extra bone or something in his knee that help him pedal his bike faster.
Nordic skiing
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 7/31/2008 2:13PM - in reply to weezy f baby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Nordic skiing legend Bjorn Daehlie reportedly had a 96.
Citizen Runner
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 7/31/2008 2:25PM - in reply to weezy f baby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Actually, Jan Ullrich, Lance's principle rival for most of his career has a higher reported VO2max than Armstrong which goes to show how little small differences at that level really matter.

Bjorn Daele, the great Norwegian nordic skier, is usually credited as having the highest ever recorded VO2max. I've seen it reported variously in the 92-95 range.
Bob Wildes
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 7/31/2008 2:45PM - in reply to Citizen Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Eddie Merckx's VO2 has been reported as being extremely high also.
luv2run
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 7/31/2008 2:46PM - in reply to weezy f baby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Others have responded, but let me add that with all the differences in modes of exercise (running, cycling, XC skiing, etc), differences in equipment and differences in protocols, it gets really hard to compare these things.
drsmrtypnts
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 7/31/2008 2:53PM - in reply to weezy f baby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think there is a marathon WR progression list along with the record holders VO2 max in the LORE. Cool table if you have the chance to see it. A high VO2 max doesn't always mean you'll be fast, and a lower VO2 max doesn't always mean you'll be slow. Running economy and the ability to run at close to VO2 max play much more important roles.
true...........
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 7/31/2008 3:12PM - in reply to drsmrtypnts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i read somewhere shorter's was actually pretyy low for an endurance athlete, but his LT was really high and compensated.
tex5k
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 7/31/2008 3:28PM - in reply to weezy f baby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Armstrong's VO2 max I think is about 85-89. Some of his rivals had a high numbers than that but the reason he was able to beat those guys was his LT number. your elite grandt tour cyclist like Ulrich had a number in the teens which is about as good as it gets. But armstrong's number was 6. So his body naturally produced a lot less lactic acid than everybody else. Explains why he rode at no less than 90rpm.
Zach Boone Pickens
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 12/30/2012 10:06PM - in reply to tex5k Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
These are ridiculous posts given that so many of these athletes have used illegal drugs. It's a sham to even consider these figures when comparing the common man's performance. When is the last time you blood doped or used EPO? Lance and Jan are both multi-millionaire cheats. Losers!
luv2run
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 12/30/2012 10:26PM - in reply to Zach Boone Pickens Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Zach Boone Pickens wrote:

These are ridiculous posts given that so many of these athletes have used illegal drugs. It's a sham to even consider these figures when comparing the common man's performance. When is the last time you blood doped or used EPO? Lance and Jan are both multi-millionaire cheats. Losers!

Uh, the last post before yours was 4.5 years ago.

Lance was tested long before he probably ever took EPO.
VO2 Max records
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 12/30/2012 10:35PM - in reply to luv2run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
ace in the troll
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 12/30/2012 10:40PM - in reply to weezy f baby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
VO2 Max is a well-known measurement of gas exchange, but for running it is better (more indicative of performance?) to test an athlete's Velocity at VO2 Max.
coopington
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 12/30/2012 11:01PM - in reply to ace in the troll Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Given the method of testing- typically on a treadmill that is increasing incline- how can vVO2 be measured accurately?
Raptured
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 12/30/2012 11:54PM - in reply to coopington Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd imagine it's high, but not as high as his hematocrit. :)
well..
RE: What is Lance Armstrong's V02max and how does it compare other elite atheltes (ie Bekele or Geb) 12/31/2012 12:33AM - in reply to Zach Boone Pickens Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Zach Boone Pickens wrote:

Digging up a 4 year old thread? You must be bored.