MikeGravel100mpw
Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/20/2008 7:58PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have ADHD impulsive subtype and I have been prescribed Adderall. I havent started taking yet.
My blood pressure is measured recently as 110/68.
Will these things hurt my performances as a distance runner? Thanks.
Rxxx
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/20/2008 8:21PM - in reply to MikeGravel100mpw Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Adderall is an amphetamine. In the past, amphetamines have been taken as a performance-enhancing drug. Amphetamines reduce perceived effort greatly. Several cyclists have died during races because their heart literally exploded from working too hard. They were all later found to be taking amphetamines as a PED. This probably won't happen to you, but my point is: be careful. I wouldn't start taking adderall as an athlete if I were you, because it's extremely easy to develop a dependency on amphetamines. Your energy levels will go up and down unpredictably.

Adderall is one of the many medications that is heavily over-prescribed by our health care system. Keep in mind that doctors get paid extra to prescribe you medicine. Also, ADHD isn't even a real disorder. Everyone has symptoms of ADHD at some point in their life. ADHD was created so meds could be sold
adderall guy
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/20/2008 8:25PM - in reply to MikeGravel100mpw Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My opinion:

if you really need it, take it.

if you can, take it only when you need to take it and don't take it every day despite what your doctor may tell you.

it blocks your own hgh, and really stresses your adrenals so that you eventually run out of the things that depend on your adrenals - testosterone drops, maybe your thyroid levels drop too.

at first you will probably lose a lot of weight - i dropped ~20lbs or more, but then as the other things started slowing down, i gained the weight back.

also, i always had a need to run - like smoking cigs - but didn't have that need once i started taking adderall. i take adderall xr 30mg.

if you need it to get through school/job do it ... but only for as long as you need it and if you can, take a break every so often, holidays, every other day, etc.

after about a month i thought that my running would improve, but ... without the need to go for a run, it became a lower priority in my life.
drsmrtypnts
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/20/2008 9:17PM - in reply to MikeGravel100mpw Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm on 36mg Concerta for ADHD. First off ADHD is a real disorder, although I agree it is a highly over diagnosed one. Without Concerta I can't work or study for more than 20 minutes at a time w/o losing focus - even on things that I really enjoy. For me this meant my grades were either 4.0 or 2.0, hardly in between. I was prescribed Ritalin as a child but my parents decided to take me off the drug after 3 or 4 months. I've spent a lot of my life developing coping and study strategies that have enabled me to be pretty successful, but with the drug I find these strategies to be even more effective.

My biggest problem is the loss of appetite, my body will feel hungry, but I won't have a desire to eat. Plus I can get so absorbed in something I don't even realize that I'm hungry. Also I have a RHR of about ~5-10 bpm higher than normal. At first I had headaches and would crash really bad at night, but both those symptoms have subsided.

I don't feel it has negatively affect my training and racing (yet). I still have the same desire to run and bike, my training hasn't changed much since I started.

If I were you I would eat a large meal in the morning. Also, it isn't a bad idea to set a watch alarm to remind you to eat. That should keep you from binge eating in the evening when the drug wears off.
Adhd
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/20/2008 10:35PM - in reply to Rxxx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Rxxx wrote:

Adderall is an amphetamine. In the past, amphetamines have been taken as a performance-enhancing drug. Amphetamines reduce perceived effort greatly. Several cyclists have died during races because their heart literally exploded from working too hard. They were all later found to be taking amphetamines as a PED. This probably won't happen to you, but my point is: be careful. I wouldn't start taking adderall as an athlete if I were you, because it's extremely easy to develop a dependency on amphetamines. Your energy levels will go up and down unpredictably.

Adderall is one of the many medications that is heavily over-prescribed by our health care system. Keep in mind that doctors get paid extra to prescribe you medicine. Also, ADHD isn't even a real disorder. Everyone has symptoms of ADHD at some point in their life. ADHD was created so meds could be sold


Hey, man you obviously don't have adhd if you think this. Get off you're high horse: this is an outrageously obnoxious post--you clearly know nothing about the condition and it is incredibly pretentious of you to tell people their brain disorder was "invented not discovered" as the slogan goes. Just because everyone is sad at some point in their lives doesn't mean they all have depression, or that depression doesn't exist. Just because you can't hear voices doesn't mean Son of Sam wasn't insane (he clearly must have been disturbed by something) or that schizophrenia doesn't exist. There are countless other examples as to why your logic is hopelessly flawed and as to why you are an insolent tool. Go rub on some lotion and concoct some more hair-brained medical advice to post on here before your mom calls you up for bed...
Concerned Dad...
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/20/2008 10:46PM - in reply to MikeGravel100mpw Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sorry-- but I need to preface this with a disclaimer. I'm not a flake-- I'm actually an engineer by training and never thought that I'd find myself recommending this to anyone...

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD about three to four years ago by three different docs. We held off giving her the Adderall she was prescribed for about a year and a half, but then about a year and a half ago we finally gave in. The meds worked like a light switch on her-- it was like night and day.

My wife-- who I admit is a bit of a California/acupuncture /organic food flake -- heard about an applied kinesiologist in Boulder who claimed to be able to treat ADHD without drugs. We got her an appointment this past June-- about two weeks before school ended-- and our daughter went through a two day session with this woman.

Apparently all that the woman does is stretch you in certain ways/put pressure in certain places over a two day period. I don't pretend to be able to explain it, but my daughter did come back changed. Her activity level is higher than it was on the meds, but her ability to concentrate is noticeably improved even beyond how it was on the meds.

Don't get me wrong-- it was bloody expensive and we haven't been able to stress test this through a whole school year. I can tell you though that this summer has been remarkably different. She just does things differently than she used to.

I don't know what to tell you, but you might want to try something like this if you have the opportunity...
Concerned Dad...
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/20/2008 10:55PM - in reply to Concerned Dad... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here's the first half of the story...

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=1589028&page=0

good luck...
cllldo
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/20/2008 11:07PM - in reply to Adhd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am a top collegiate distance runner who needs to take Ritalin (20mg 3x/day) for ADD so that I can sufficiently focus on schoolwork. Ritalin has neither helped nor hurt my running performances, but it did reduce my appetite during morning and afternoon hours. In the evening as the effects of this medication wore off, I became excessively hungry.

One thing I noticed is that when I went off Ritalin for a week, so I could enter a USATF competition, my performance dropped. If I remained off Ritalin for 3 weeks or so (not possible during school year) then my performance went back to normal. I don't know if any other runners have had similar experiences to mine. Stick with the lowest dose that works for you. Taking higher doses only causes your body to adjust and greater benefits seem to revert back to the benefits obtained from lower doses.

Most important of all, find a top Psychiatrist that specializes in medications. Also realize that everyone's experience can be different here. Trust your doctor and your own instincts.
isthisadhd?
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/21/2008 1:22AM - in reply to cllldo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cllldo wrote:

I am a top collegiate distance runner who needs to take Ritalin (20mg 3x/day) for ADD.... Ritalin has neither helped nor hurt my running performances.... One thing I noticed is that when I went off Ritalin for a week, so I could enter a USATF competition, my performance dropped.


Now that's what I call ADD!

So is it cool to go off EPO for a week so I can enter a USATF competition? Are amphetamines not banned out of competition?!
kjdfdsf
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/21/2008 2:26AM - in reply to Adhd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Adhd wrote:


Rxxx wrote:

Adderall is an amphetamine. In the past, amphetamines have been taken as a performance-enhancing drug. Amphetamines reduce perceived effort greatly. Several cyclists have died during races because their heart literally exploded from working too hard. They were all later found to be taking amphetamines as a PED. This probably won't happen to you, but my point is: be careful. I wouldn't start taking adderall as an athlete if I were you, because it's extremely easy to develop a dependency on amphetamines. Your energy levels will go up and down unpredictably.

Adderall is one of the many medications that is heavily over-prescribed by our health care system. Keep in mind that doctors get paid extra to prescribe you medicine. Also, ADHD isn't even a real disorder. Everyone has symptoms of ADHD at some point in their life. ADHD was created so meds could be sold


Hey, man you obviously don't have adhd if you think this. Get off you're high horse: this is an outrageously obnoxious post--you clearly know nothing about the condition and it is incredibly pretentious of you to tell people their brain disorder was "invented not discovered" as the slogan goes. Just because everyone is sad at some point in their lives doesn't mean they all have depression, or that depression doesn't exist. Just because you can't hear voices doesn't mean Son of Sam wasn't insane (he clearly must have been disturbed by something) or that schizophrenia doesn't exist. There are countless other examples as to why your logic is hopelessly flawed and as to why you are an insolent tool. Go rub on some lotion and concoct some more hair-brained medical advice to post on here before your mom calls you up for bed...


I've been through the whole thing. I was diagnosed with ADHD. I took a test from a psychiatrist to prove it. I was prescribed adderall and took it for 6 months. This was my senior year of H.S. and I was competing in track at the time. Looking back on the situation, I wish I never would have taken adderall. I wanted to give the guy some advice, gimme a break.

Look, I'm not some naturopathic health nut, if that's what you're implying. It's funny how you listed off all the typical letsrun insults then told me to go to bed.

50% of people who take the ADHD test will be technically diagnosed with ADHD. looking back on medical history, ADHD hasn't been an issue until recent years. Does ADHD threaten your life? Does it severely impair anyone? Has anyone ever died from ADHD?
Adhd
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/21/2008 6:39AM - in reply to kjdfdsf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

kjdfdsf wrote:


Adhd wrote:


Rxxx wrote:

Adderall is an amphetamine. In the past, amphetamines have been taken as a performance-enhancing drug. Amphetamines reduce perceived effort greatly. Several cyclists have died during races because their heart literally exploded from working too hard. They were all later found to be taking amphetamines as a PED. This probably won't happen to you, but my point is: be careful. I wouldn't start taking adderall as an athlete if I were you, because it's extremely easy to develop a dependency on amphetamines. Your energy levels will go up and down unpredictably.

Adderall is one of the many medications that is heavily over-prescribed by our health care system. Keep in mind that doctors get paid extra to prescribe you medicine. Also, ADHD isn't even a real disorder. Everyone has symptoms of ADHD at some point in their life. ADHD was
created so meds could be sold


Hey, man you obviously don't have adhd if you think this. Get off you're high horse: this is an outrageously obnoxious post--you clearly know nothing about the condition and it is incredibly pretentious of you to tell people their brain disorder was "invented not discovered" as the slogan goes. Just because everyone is sad at some point in their lives doesn't mean they all have depression, or that depression doesn't exist. Just because you can't hear voices doesn't mean Son of Sam wasn't insane (he clearly must have been disturbed by something) or that schizophrenia doesn't exist. There are countless other examples as to why your logic is hopelessly flawed and as to why you are an insolent tool. Go rub on some lotion and concoct some more hair-brained medical advice to post on here before your mom calls you up for bed...


I've been through the whole thing. I was diagnosed with ADHD. I took a test from a psychiatrist to prove it. I was prescribed adderall and took it for 6 months. This was my senior year of H.S. and I was competing in track at the time. Looking back on the situation, I wish I never would have taken adderall. I wanted to give the guy some advice, gimme a break.

Look, I'm not some naturopathic health nut, if that's what you're implying. It's funny how you listed off all the typical letsrun insults then told me to go to bed.

50% of people who take the ADHD test will be technically diagnosed with ADHD. looking back on medical history, ADHD hasn't been an issue until recent years. Does ADHD threaten your life? Does it severely impair anyone? Has anyone ever died from ADHD?


1.Sorry it was late
2.Sorry you had a bad experience but that doesn't mean the condition doesn't exist
3. the only close to surefire way to be diagnosed is a brain scan--there are proven neurological differences
4.People's lives are seriously affected and not being treated properly can lead to other conditions
5.There are plenty of things we take medicine for to alleviate symptoms (stimulants don't cure anything per se) that would not kill us but lower our quality of life

p.s. i also took adderal for a year or so and did not like it but the benefits were undeniable--i was actually capable of being on time and organizing for the first time, among other things. maybe you were just misdiagnosed but that doesn't mean the OP is

To the OP: it dehydrates you, so drink water and be prepared to possibly throw up the first few times you run, then you adjust
cllldo
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/21/2008 9:11PM - in reply to isthisadhd? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

isthisadhd? wrote:

So is it cool to go off EPO for a week so I can enter a USATF competition? Are amphetamines not banned out of competition?!


You need to educate yourself. Ritalin and Adderall are stimulants (with methylphenidate as the active ingredient), not ampetamines (another type of stimulant). Stimulants are only banned in competition by USADA and WADA. It is perfectly permissible to stop taking these meds about 5-7 days before a USATF competition and let them clear one's body. They won't impact one's running performance any more than a cup of coffee taken a week ago. In fact, in strong cases of need and with extensive documentation from one's doctor, both USADA and WADA will allow methyphenidate to be taken in competition as well.

For people who clearly have ADD/ADHD these meds are not performance enhancers, but simply help restore one's behavior to a more normal level. USADA and WADA know this. Your comments imply that those who need these meds while in school should not be allowed to compete in sports. Your comments are way off the mark.
marijuologist
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/21/2008 9:30PM - in reply to cllldo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post


For people who clearly have ADD/ADHD these meds are not performance enhancers, but simply help restore one's behavior to a more normal level.



That's pure bullshit. I used to take 10mg of Adderall before every training session and it felt like I could run through a wall.
Captain Fantastic
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/21/2008 9:31PM - in reply to cllldo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm not saying this to be facetious or condescending and I do not want to belittle what anyone is feeling, BUT do any of you question why ADHD is SO prevalent in the USA. I don't know the statistics, but I have rarely heard the phrase outside of the USA (even in other developed countries). Is it something in the lifestyle/diet/etc. that CREATES/CAUSES ADHD or is it just that we are plagued by overanxious doctors who think that they can solve everything? I have suffered from depression in the past (yes, to the point a doctor "wanted" to put me on something), but I always asked myself...

"If this is something that a year in the Bahamas could cure, then do I need to start taking pills or start changing my lifestyle?"

All the money in the world isn't worth the paper it is printed on if it causes you to be unhappy.
Dan Onymous
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/21/2008 9:33PM - in reply to Concerned Dad... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Concerned Dad... wrote:

Sorry-- but I need to preface this with a disclaimer. I'm not a flake-- I'm actually an engineer by training and never thought that I'd find myself recommending this to anyone...

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD about three to four years ago by three different docs. We held off giving her the Adderall she was prescribed for about a year and a half, but then about a year and a half ago we finally gave in. The meds worked like a light switch on her-- it was like night and day.

My wife-- who I admit is a bit of a California/acupuncture /organic food flake -- heard about an applied kinesiologist in Boulder who claimed to be able to treat ADHD without drugs. We got her an appointment this past June-- about two weeks before school ended-- and our daughter went through a two day session with this woman.

Apparently all that the woman does is stretch you in certain ways/put pressure in certain places over a two day period. I don't pretend to be able to explain it, but my daughter did come back changed. Her activity level is higher than it was on the meds, but her ability to concentrate is noticeably improved even beyond how it was on the meds.

Don't get me wrong-- it was bloody expensive and we haven't been able to stress test this through a whole school year. I can tell you though that this summer has been remarkably different. She just does things differently than she used to.

I don't know what to tell you, but you might want to try something like this if you have the opportunity...


Plenty of orthodox doctors would just scream "IT'S THE PLACEBO EFFECT!!!11one1" at you until you walk away for your ears' sake.

Attention deficit can be a symptom of many things. For example, some people have gotten results from avoiding gluten grains (wheat, rye, oats, barley, kamut, spelt, and triticale -- although the last three are somewhat obscure anyway) or milk (sometimes goat milk is OK), or both. As much as 20% of the population may have some degree of gluten intolerance. If you want to learn more about this, check out the book Dangerous Grains (easily found on Amazon.)

In any case, I'm glad your daughter is doing well.
Concerned Dad...
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/21/2008 10:06PM - in reply to Dan Onymous Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Dan Onymous wrote:

Plenty of orthodox doctors would just scream "IT'S THE PLACEBO EFFECT!!!" at you until you walk away for your ears' sake.



Maybe. From my understanding, the placebo effect requires that the person actually understand and desire to reach the outcome.

I'm not sure that my daughter has that level of sophistication. In other words, I'm not sure that she understands the difference between the way she acts and the way other people act. Instead, she is oblivious to social cues-- she's the classic "laugh at a funeral" person. It's one of the reasons she gets in so much trouble.

In other words, I'm not sure that she could identify a "cure" even if hit her upside the head...
isthisadhd?
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/21/2008 11:39PM - in reply to cllldo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cllldo wrote:


isthisadhd? wrote:

So is it cool to go off EPO for a week so I can enter a USATF competition? Are amphetamines not banned out of competition?!


You need to educate yourself. Ritalin and Adderall are stimulants (with methylphenidate as the active ingredient), not ampetamines (another type of stimulant). Stimulants are only banned in competition by USADA and WADA. It is perfectly permissible to stop taking these meds about 5-7 days before a USATF competition and let them clear one's body. They won't impact one's running performance any more than a cup of coffee taken a week ago. In fact, in strong cases of need and with extensive documentation from one's doctor, both USADA and WADA will allow methyphenidate to be taken in competition as well.

For people who clearly have ADD/ADHD these meds are not performance enhancers, but simply help restore one's behavior to a more normal level. USADA and WADA know this. Your comments imply that those who need these meds while in school should not be allowed to compete in sports. Your comments are way off the mark.


Did some educating of myself, as you pointed out was a necessity of mine. Thanks. Here's a few bits from wiki which state Adderall is in fact a stronger psychostimulant than Ritalin

"Dextroamphetamine is a psychostimulant which produces increased wakefulness, energy and self-confidence in association with decreased fatigue and appetite. It is perhaps the archetypal psycho-stimulant, and drugs with similar psychoactive properties are often referred to as "amphetamine analogues", or described as having "amphetamine-like", or even "amphetaminergic" effects. As a CNS stimulant, enantiopure dextroamphetamine is more powerful than racemic amphetamine and has stimulant properties that are similar to those of methamphetamine, but is slightly less potent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

Are you seriously going to try to tell me that day in and day out using this isn't a totally beneficial way of getting in the zone for a workout? Less fatigue, greater concentration, and less appetite don't sound like strong possible performance enhancers? Certainly it's no EPO, but it's total crap when guys like Nathan O'Neil are allowed to use such strong stimulants (like phentermine)out of competition.
Dan Onymous
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/22/2008 10:24AM - in reply to Concerned Dad... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Concerned Dad... wrote:


Dan Onymous wrote:

Plenty of orthodox doctors would just scream "IT'S THE PLACEBO EFFECT!!!" at you until you walk away for your ears' sake.



Maybe. From my understanding, the placebo effect requires that the person actually understand and desire to reach the outcome.

I'm not sure that my daughter has that level of sophistication. In other words, I'm not sure that she understands the difference between the way she acts and the way other people act. Instead, she is oblivious to social cues-- she's the classic "laugh at a funeral" person. It's one of the reasons she gets in so much trouble.

In other words, I'm not sure that she could identify a "cure" even if hit her upside the head...


Yeah, but a lot of people refuse to consider anything that doesn't fit into the standard medical box, and call it being scientific.
marijuologist
RE: Adderall/Ritalin in Distance Runners - 5k and up 7/22/2008 10:34AM - in reply to Dan Onymous Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
LMFAO @ ADHD. You dumb kids actually believe in that?

News flash: there be no such thing as ADHD. It was made up to give psychiatrists an excuse to exist.