joe diddy
Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 12:05PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was doing some repeats at the track, feeling a little soreness in my right hamstring which I assumed was from weights. I noticed that there is a lump behind my right knee and not behind my left. I stopped the workout because this concerned me. I don't know how long it could have been there.

I can feel it only when my leg is fully extended and when I point my toes up. It goes away when the toes are pointed down and I can't feel it when my leg isn't extended. I've read about Baker's cyst but I have never had a knee injury. Could it just be some benign cyst or muscle formation? The width is about the size of a dime. Should I go running today?
Quizznizzle
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 12:18PM - in reply to joe diddy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It could be a fat deposit.
joe diddy
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 12:25PM - in reply to Quizznizzle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Could a random fat deposit be in one leg and not the other? If I can't feel the bump when my leg isn't fully extended would that mean that it wouldn't be a cyst?
Quizznizzle
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 12:36PM - in reply to joe diddy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

joe diddy wrote:

Could a random fat deposit be in one leg and not the other?

Yes.
joe diddy
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 12:52PM - in reply to Quizznizzle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Interesting I guess. Maybe I'll workout based on how it feels.
T.I.
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 2:19PM - in reply to joe diddy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sounds just like a baker's cyst. You can have it on just one side and it'll present as kind of a hamstring type/back of the knee pain. They're benign.
Kindergarten cop
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 2:25PM - in reply to T.I. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe it's a tumor.
govenator
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 2:48PM - in reply to Kindergarten cop Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's not a tumor

Kindergarten cop wrote:

Maybe it's a tumor.
MeauxMeaux
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 3:05PM - in reply to govenator Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's probably not a tumor, but don't ASSUME this.

A former elite runner I know had what sounds like a very similar lump behind the knee, and the first medical advice she got was that it was probably nothing. But it was in fact a tumor. Easily removed, but nothing to mess around with.
joe diddy
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 3:17PM - in reply to MeauxMeaux Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I see. Perhaps I'll ask somebody to check it out to make sure I'm not just imagining things. And then maybe I'll make an appointment to see a doctor. Are Baker's cysts always caused by injury? That's what I've been reading online but I've never had a knee injury. Maybe I'll try icing. I'm 24 years old if that makes any difference. Anybody else think it could be a fat deposit? I've never really heard of healthy people having lumpy fat deposits.
Coach DD
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 3:34PM - in reply to joe diddy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
We had a female middle distance runner on our hs team this year develop a similar lump in the back of the knee. The school trainer thought it might be a cyst and sent her to the ortho guy. He took x-rays and.........it was a lump of fat. Harmless, but we had a good time ribbing her about it. Of course, yours may be something else, so it would be a good idea to get it checked out. Good luck.
joe diddy
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 3:43PM - in reply to Coach DD Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So that it is a possibility. Thanks.
had the same trouble
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 3:46PM - in reply to joe diddy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Get checked for chondromalacia. I had the same symptoms and that's what it turned out to be in my case. Do not keep running on it until you have it checked.
joe diddy
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/25/2008 4:05PM - in reply to had the same trouble Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Must one have pain to have chondromalacia?
tv watcher
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/26/2008 12:14PM - in reply to joe diddy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Could it just be a sprain of some sort? Maybe you did squats or leg presses with too much weight and something popped out of place. Anybody know what those two tendons behind the knee that connect the thigh to the calves are called?
olderguy
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/26/2008 2:55PM - in reply to joe diddy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
sounds like baker's cyst
exrunner
RE: Lump behind knee. Any of you ever had this? 6/26/2008 4:14PM - in reply to joe diddy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pay attention to whether it hurts or not. Might want to see a doctor.