runx
shin/foot numbness 6/10/2008 6:15PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
lately my shin feels like it wants to explode, feels like there is a ton of pressure on it (it is def. not shin splints) and my foot goes numb and gets a tingling feeling. This feeling is starting to linger after cross-training and running a little longer everyday. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?
khink02
RE: shin/foot numbness 6/10/2008 7:19PM - in reply to runx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
just from your initial description i would say it sounds like compartment syndrome...

my experiences with it, the front shin muscle will become almost as hard as a rock and be kinda shiny once your symptoms come....almost feels like your foot is locked into place and goes numb
Sub-Elite Female
RE: shin/foot numbness 6/10/2008 9:23PM - in reply to runx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Anterior Compartment Syndrome. Go see someone who does biomechanics analysis -- who will videotape you walking and running on a treadmill with and without shoes. They will be able to point out what you're doing to aggravate the muscle and give you a solution.

I had this, and was told that I was holding my feet flexed upwards constantly while running and walking, which lead to the compartment syndrome through overuse. Try flexing your foot upwards, and you'll see that the muscle you're speaking off will tighten.

I had to relearn how to run so that I gave the muscle in question a break. A proprioceptive cue I used is to drag your toes while walking. It helped me learn how to relax that muscle for a brief moment while my foot is in the air while walking/running. After 2 weeks of obsessively practicing this, I found relief. Got better and better over the next few years. Bothers me now only after a road race, particularly with downhills. Also flares up when I'm overtraining, so a good warning sign for me actually. Never had to have surgery.

Doctors may tell you to get surgery -- a fasciotomy (I don't know how to spell it). This entails cutting holes in the muscle compartment to relieve pressure. Mary Slaney had this done a few times. It can help, but not a permanent solution, especially if you are overusing that muscle because of the way you run. You'll just have to do it over and over if you don't correct the biomechanical problem. Surgery should always be a last resort anyway.

Another tip -- if you wear loose-fitting flip-flops or sandals, it can aggravate it. If your shoes are about to fall off your feet, you will subconsciously hold your feet flexed up and rigid to keep the shoes on -- which directly uses that muscle. Wear shoes that fit snuggly enough that you can move your feet around in the air and they don't fall off.
Lantermanc
RE: shin/foot numbness 6/10/2008 10:01PM - in reply to Sub-Elite Female Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cool, I have experienced something similar. Shin is hard as a rock, all shiny, and foot goes numb. However, I think the cause for me is that my calf is dead/strained. I literally can't walk around without it hurting, which is what I think is causing my foot/shin to react. Any suggestions for this besides rest and icing? I've had it before and it took 6 months of doing nothing to get over it...
khink02
RE: shin/foot numbness 6/11/2008 7:03AM - in reply to Sub-Elite Female Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Sub-Elite Female wrote:

Anterior Compartment Syndrome. Go see someone who does biomechanics analysis -- who will videotape you walking and running on a treadmill with and without shoes. They will be able to point out what you're doing to aggravate the muscle and give you a solution.

I had this, and was told that I was holding my feet flexed upwards constantly while running and walking, which lead to the compartment syndrome through overuse. Try flexing your foot upwards, and you'll see that the muscle you're speaking off will tighten.

I had to relearn how to run so that I gave the muscle in question a break. A proprioceptive cue I used is to drag your toes while walking. It helped me learn how to relax that muscle for a brief moment while my foot is in the air while walking/running. After 2 weeks of obsessively practicing this, I found relief. Got better and better over the next few years. Bothers me now only after a road race, particularly with downhills. Also flares up when I'm overtraining, so a good warning sign for me actually. Never had to have surgery.

Doctors may tell you to get surgery -- a fasciotomy (I don't know how to spell it). This entails cutting holes in the muscle compartment to relieve pressure. Mary Slaney had this done a few times. It can help, but not a permanent solution, especially if you are overusing that muscle because of the way you run. You'll just have to do it over and over if you don't correct the biomechanical problem. Surgery should always be a last resort anyway.

Another tip -- if you wear loose-fitting flip-flops or sandals, it can aggravate it. If your shoes are about to fall off your feet, you will subconsciously hold your feet flexed up and rigid to keep the shoes on -- which directly uses that muscle. Wear shoes that fit snuggly enough that you can move your feet around in the air and they don't fall off.

i dont necessarily agree with somethings you said...based on what doctors told me (i saw a couple), compartment syndrome is a chronic disorder...meaning it's not something you just develop b/c of bad running habits, it's something that you always have.

Your logic seems to makes sense about running with foot flexed upward, but i had CS in only one leg, and the doctors/trainers/physical therapists would've noticed if i flexed only that foot upward while running. I've been videotaped many times while running and not once did they mention anythign like that.

That said, i had the surgery over 3 years ago, and my shin muscle hasn't bothered me since (even though it is bigger than my other leg, which shows the surgery worked). It took me about a month before i could walk normal again without crutches or a boot, and 1 1/2 - 2 months before return to jogging. I had mine in May and was for cross country season. If you find out it is CS and need surgery, make sure you get a doctor that knows what he's doing. I was told the success rate on the surgery was 90%, and the 10% that didn't work was because the doctor only cut the muscle sheath, he didn't release the pressure in the nerves.
old goat
RE: shin/foot numbness 6/11/2008 8:17AM - in reply to runx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was diagnosed with CS in my left leg after mucho testing, gait analysis, etc. Had the surgery performed by a doc who had done it successfully numerous times back in January. There has been not one bit of relief - its just as bad if not worse now. I pissed away a large amount of money and time and accomplished zilch. I'm going to try the toe dragging thing though, it's not like things will get much worse.