Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
numero
RE: Could you eat 20 to 30 bananas for a meal on a regular basis? 6/9/2008 2:59PM - in reply to atwell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
do you find this diet to be more or less expensive than your previous diet?
gamma gamma
RE: Could you eat 20 to 30 bananas for a meal on a regular basis? 6/9/2008 3:28PM - in reply to Letsrun Poll Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You will die of radiation poisoning. Too much potassium.
fellow banana fan
RE: Could you eat 20 to 30 bananas for a meal on a regular basis? 6/9/2008 3:29PM - in reply to atwell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
atwell, I greatly enjoy bananas myself, but I am nowhere near your stature as the most bananas that I have eaten in a day is about a dozen. I have a question about the best way to eat a banana, and you seem to be a great person to ask given how many bananas you eat.

Which end do you peel the banana from? Most people seem to peel from the end with the stem sticking out. But the stem often just splits the peel instead of tearing off a section, or breaks off if the banana is too ripe. So this method gives me lots of problems. I prefer to peel from the other end, what I call the top, without the stem. I've also experimented with breaking them in half, but this seems so violent and I love my bananas, plus it doesn't work if the bananas are too ripe.

Incidentally, monkeys eat bananas the same way as I do, and I definitely consider THEM experts. But maybe there are physiological differences between our species that make some other method more optimal for people. So I'm curious how YOU eat bananas, as an expert who is also a person.

Thanks atwell!
sex panther
RE: Could you eat 20 to 30 bananas for a meal on a regular basis? 6/9/2008 3:32PM - in reply to fellow banana fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I also peel bananas from the "wrong" end, which I started doing once I heard that monkeys do it that way. I also do it because 60 percent of the time it works every time.
monkey method
RE: Could you eat 20 to 30 bananas for a meal on a regular basis? 6/9/2008 3:38PM - in reply to gamma gamma Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Potassium is not radioactive, so radiation poisoning isn't much of a concern.

I also usually peel bananas from the wrong end. I find that with a little practice, it works every time a HUNDRED percent of the time. But maybe I'm just gifted with my hands. Also I like the 'breaking in half' method when I want to seem manly instead of quirky.
atwell
RE: Could you eat 20 to 30 bananas for a meal on a regular basis? 6/9/2008 7:59PM - in reply to fellow banana fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
numero:

Overall, I'd say its been less expensive than being a meat eater.

banana fan:

Honestly, I haven't tried eating it that way. I'll try tomorrow. When at home, I usually take a knife to the base of the stem, rather than trying to rip it off. I just cut the stem about half way through, and then peel. This seems to peel off a section more reliably. But, its not doable when on the go.

I'm especially excited to try your method now I know that monkeys do it this way. Afterall, I want to be natural, and no monkey has a knife. :-)
Pencil Neck
RE: Could you eat 20 to 30 bananas for a meal on a regular basis? 6/9/2008 8:16PM - in reply to atwell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
um...Furious George had a knife IIRC
atwell
2nd place finish at 100-mile ultramarathon on raw food 6/24/2008 1:52PM - in reply to Pencil Neck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
On Saturday, I competed in the Mohican Trail 100 Mile Ultramarathon in Ohio. I started following this raw vegan in November, as an experiment, and have been impressed with the results.

I did the race in 2007 and had a tough time, finishing in 27 hours, and in 53rd place. At that time, I was following the Standard American Diet. That was my first attempt at running the 100-mile distance.

This year, I finished in 18:40, and finished 2nd. I think around 150 people started the race, and about 80 finished.

Now, its impossible for me to say how much of the improvement is related to the diet. Besides switching to 811rv, this year I was about 10 pounds lighter, and I knew the course from last year, and I think I was training smarter. Nevertheless, I thought I'd let you guys know.

During the race, I fueled mostly with dates. They were tasting good to me. This year, I had consistent energy. Last year during the race, I was eating a lot of those man-made energy gels with lots of preservatives, and had a lot of peaks and valleys during the race.
Fruits and Nuts
RE: 2nd place finish at 100-mile ultramarathon on raw food 6/25/2008 11:20AM - in reply to atwell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
BUMP!
mr_freud
this preoccupation with bananas is peculiar... 6/26/2008 9:43PM - in reply to Fruits and Nuts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
...by the way what is a wejo?
Dummy-O
RE: this preoccupation with bananas is peculiar... 6/27/2008 8:22AM - in reply to mr_freud Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Personally, I don't find the 20-30 bananas a day strange at all. I have recently changed to a all processed food diet, and it has done wonders for my times. I routinely eat 20-30 snickers bars in a sitting.
dmizzle
RE: this preoccupation with bananas is peculiar... 6/27/2008 9:53AM - in reply to Dummy-O Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've switched to a combination of those two, my own food diet - the 10-15 bananas and 10-15 snickers in one sitting. sometimes I just blend them to save time. delicious. (and nutritious)
jizzmo
RE: this preoccupation with bananas is peculiar... 6/27/2008 1:56PM - in reply to dmizzle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The fact that you are an ultra runner to boot says sooooo much.
cookie monster
RE: this preoccupation with bananas is peculiar... 7/25/2008 8:27PM - in reply to jizzmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I love meals of 20-30 cookies!
of course it does
RE: this preoccupation with bananas is peculiar... 7/25/2008 8:52PM - in reply to jizzmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

jizzmo wrote:

The fact that you are an ultra runner to boot says sooooo much.

Amen.
Hulk Hogan
RE: this preoccupation with bananas is peculiar... 7/25/2008 8:56PM - in reply to cookie monster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cookie monster wrote:

I love meals of 20-30 cookies!

amen Brotha
mighty joe Young
RE: this preoccupation with bananas is peculiar... 7/25/2008 9:04PM - in reply to Hulk Hogan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
14-flat
RE: Could you eat 20 to 30 bananas for a meal on a regular basis? 7/25/2008 9:37PM - in reply to return of the P Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

return of the P wrote:

Forget pounds of food. A single banana has about 110 calories. Eating 20-30 in one sitting would be 2200-3300 calories in one meal. Now some people DO eat that much in one meal, but you can't regularly do that, and doing it with any kind of fruit or vegetable would be nearly impossible.

Ummm ... while I don't think that you could (or should) eat that many bananas (or that many kcal of bananas) 2000-3000 kcal in a meal is no big deal.

Nearly every 150 lb. male needs 2000 kcal just to keep living at steady state. Add 600-1000 kcal to the equation for every hour you train per DAY.

I myself train about 20-25 hours a week on a schedule like this:

M: 2 hrs rowing
T: 2 hrs rowing - 2 hrs cycling
W: 2 hrs rowing
Th: 2 hrs rowing - 3 hrs cycling
F: 2 hrs rowing
S: 5-6 hrs cycling - 3 hrs lawn mowing
Su: 2 hrs rowing - 2 hrs cycling

I work 45 hours a week on top of this.

This adds up to AT LEAST 1800 kcal a day AVERAGE, over the 2000 or so that are needed for cellular activity at a sedentary level. I don't have time to prepare, eat and clean up for FIVE 1000-kcal balanced meals a day and most hard-training, WORKING athletes don't either.
SMJO
RE: Could you eat 20 to 30 bananas for a meal on a regular basis? 7/26/2008 6:48AM - in reply to 14-flat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If raw vegan diets are so great then why do apes subsisting on them not live much longer?
Notice that wild animals living on a perfect diet usually only reach middle age while animals in a zoo live much longer as a rule.
I'm not saying wild apes don't have a shorter but higher quality life but you raw vegan freaks would have us believe that Tarzan got the crap kicked out of him by some 80 year old silverback.
Gambatte!
RE: Could you eat 20 to 30 bananas for a meal on a regular basis? 10/17/2008 8:15AM - in reply to atwell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Seems like some other people think highly of bananas, too:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20081017/wl_time/japansgoesbananasforanewdiet
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |