biochemistry
How much can a biochemistry Ph.D make? 5/2/2008 9:24PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
with the limitation that he doesn't work for the government or a an evil pharmaceutical company
NONAME
RE: How much can a biochemistry Ph.D make? 5/2/2008 9:30PM - in reply to biochemistry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Starting salary for a biochemistry faculty at many Big 10 schools is mid 70's. That is for a 9 month appointment and usually you can supplement that by about 30% with grants. Not a very easy lifestyle, a lot of pressure to get grants and publish but it's more than a living wage.
biochemistry
RE: How much can a biochemistry Ph.D make? 5/2/2008 9:34PM - in reply to NONAME Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
would you care to state what that salary is?
biochemistry
RE: How much can a biochemistry Ph.D make? 5/2/2008 9:34PM - in reply to biochemistry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
oh sorry, you did!
Rod Munch
RE: How much can a biochemistry Ph.D make? 5/2/2008 9:35PM - in reply to biochemistry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What about working for a good pharmaceutical company?
biochemistry
RE: How much can a biochemistry Ph.D make? 5/2/2008 9:37PM - in reply to Rod Munch Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
name one and i'll work for it
well...
RE: How much can a biochemistry Ph.D make? 5/2/2008 9:59PM - in reply to biochemistry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
pfizer, merck, glaxo smith cline

smaller biotech companies - e.g. biogen
mcjimbosandwich
RE: How much can a biochemistry Ph.D make? 5/3/2008 3:54AM - in reply to biochemistry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Amgen (although been going downhill for a while now...)
Genentech
Gilead Sciences

As I worked at Amgen, I know that starting Ph D. salary is about 90k, but this might have changed as they aren't doing so well lately.

Consulting firms also love science Ph. D., especially if you are good with numbers.

Good luck!
It depends
RE: How much can a biochemistry Ph.D make? 5/3/2008 4:32AM - in reply to mcjimbosandwich Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It depends how good you are. If you are good, you can make millions as a professor, consulting for a pharm company on the side.

But I'm guessing if you are good, you won't care about money, and would rather pursue a nobel prize . . or something along those lines.

I'm guessing then that you aren't that good, or else you would not be asking. Stick to business, you can make much more money that way.
Off the Grid
RE: How much can a biochemistry Ph.D make? 5/3/2008 8:15AM - in reply to biochemistry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
loads....working in a basement meth/lsd lab....