Pages: | 1 | 2 |
realsoreguy
will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 6:34PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So, I am in my senior season of track, i am not amazing but i am a decent runner. I really want to give it a good last go round before I call it a career, and there's only 4 weeks or so till conference and 6 if i were to go beyond that.
Anyways, I've had bad Iliotibial band syndrome for years now, and its really bad right now. I've done tons of homework, I know all the threads on here about it - i ice when i don't need to run, i heat when i do, i use a foam roller all the time and I stretch and visit our athletic trainers all the time for therapy. I also limit my mileage, stick to flat surfaces as much as possible, stay off the sides of roads (banked), i do all that stuff.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that it's going to hurt to run. It may eventually become so bad that I just physically can't run (this happened to me once before for a brief period of time). In years past, taking time off has almost completely fixed the problem (though flexibility in my knee has been permanently hampered).

But I am wondering, if i do decide to push through this, just load up on advil and fight through the pain, will I be causing any permanent damage to my knee, hip, or it band? has anyone done this and regretted it? Once this season is over I don't care if i have to take a month off, or 4 months off or whatever, but I'd really like to get a few more weeks out of it, and know that eventually my body will heal.

Any advice is appreciated.
drsmrtypnts
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 6:45PM - in reply to realsoreguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Training through chronic ITBS would be worried about two things:
- Chronic inflammation around the knee may lead to osteoporosis later in life
- Accumulation of scar tissue may cause permanent lack of flexibility or damage

Personally, I'm in it (running) for the long run (no pun intended) and having had ITBS in both legs I would MUCH rather take some time off to get it delt with than to end my running career prematurely. Just my 0.02...
Anon
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 7:19PM - in reply to realsoreguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Please check out pattstrap.com. Read the reviews.
sameproblem
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 7:26PM - in reply to Anon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had the exact same problem senior year. After taking several weeks off and trying a cortizone injection, no luck. The physical trainer at my school (very smart guy) said that most likely I wouldn't have any long lasting problems if I ran thru it for the remainder of the season which had 8 weeks left). So I ran thru the pain. For the first two weeks it was absolute hell (I actually had tears rolling down my face thru several runs). Luckily, after those few weeks, all pain suddenly went away. Maybe I actually tore it slightly and relieved the tension; who knows. But ever since I ran through it, I've never had ITBS again.

Anytime you run through pain you take the risk of have additional problems down the road. You just have to ask yourself how much your willing to sacrifice to run the next 4 weeks.
realsoreguy
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 7:35PM - in reply to sameproblem Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks guys. and yeah i have a strap, helps, but not a ton.

I don't worry so much about running my whole life, but i 'd definitely like to be able to play sports. So, crap, i dunno what to do.
Ticktock
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 8:05PM - in reply to realsoreguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I completely ran through ITBS for months during my freshman year in HS, and ever since my knee has made weird crackling sounds when I put weight on it and bend it.

I don't have any pain or loss of flexibility, but it's something that worries me.
jaguar1
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 8:09PM - in reply to realsoreguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Have you tried a different shoe? Ever done any barefoot running?
ITBS?
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 9:16PM - in reply to jaguar1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
at the end of my senior year in cross in HS i got some swelling on the side of my right knee-it hurt but i didn't do anything about. when track season rolled around (i didn't train at all over the winter) i could barely run 200m without having to stop because of the pain. went to a dr. who said it was ITBS and gave me a cortisone injection and stretches to do.

it worked until the summer and i was getting ready for cross in college. the pain came back but it wasn't as bad so i continued to run. the trainers at my school just said my IT band was still tight (which it was). pain got worse after cross nationals so saw another dr who said i had a cyst on my tendon, and gave me meds, which still didn't fix it. on my FOURTH diagnosis after limping thru indoor it was found that i tore my lateral meniscus and it was leaking fluid, causing the cyst and the IT tightness.

my only question is have you had an mri, because i went through a year and a half of pain, only to find i needed surgery (which i am still recovering from till next week) which caused me to redshirt outdoor. --go to another doctor!
realsoreguy
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 10:04PM - in reply to ITBS? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
to ticktock- that's weird, cause i have a similar cracking noise that is constantly there in my ankle... though i don't know if it's related.

To jaguar - I have tried changing my shoes. I've always used neutral shoes and for awhile tried supported shoes, but they didn't help much and seemed to mess me up more than anything. However, i do find that constantly use NEW shoes does help a bit, or at least it did in the early stages of this.

to ITBS? - I have actually had the area scanned (my knee), and it only showed swelling, now that was like 2 years ago or more though. plus i've been to a number of different trainers, doctors, and other therapists, and it's always been diagnosed as ITBS, so I don't have reason to believe it would be a meniscus tear, but it's something to keep my eye on.

So, so far, it seems like if i can keep running, i should, otherwise just do everything i can to keep the pain under control, agreed?
jaguar1
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 10:25PM - in reply to realsoreguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

realsoreguy wrote:

To jaguar - I have tried changing my shoes. I've always used neutral shoes and for awhile tried supported shoes, but they didn't help much and seemed to mess me up more than anything. However, i do find that constantly use NEW shoes does help a bit, or at least it did in the early stages of this.

Think you're in the wrong shoes. You need a shoe that is more flexible-- a lightweight trainer or flats. The neutral and stability shoes you've tried are likely too stiff and disallowing you from flexing your feet to generate force/power with each step. Because you can't use your feet as effectively, your body is compensating by generating force, and stress, elsewhere (your IT Band!). An IT band problem was the last straw with me.... got into flats and haven't looked back! Just a suggestion to try(along with the barefoot running)....
had it...
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 10:33PM - in reply to realsoreguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Try changing shoes...if you are an underpronator, you may need a shoe w/ LESS stability...also, leg extensions are good for strengthening the quads...
realsoreguy
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/12/2008 10:57PM - in reply to had it... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks jags and "had it"... maybe i'll go buy a new pair of flats and give it a try.

another question i had on the same subject, is that most articles and literature say to rest, recover, THEN start doing the exercises to support the IT band and surrounding area. If i am running through ITBS and not taking any time off, should i be doing though exercises (such as leg extensions, half-way single leg squats etc), or will they just make it worse?
Snatch
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/13/2008 1:43AM - in reply to realsoreguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Try a thigh sleeve.
The extra warmth generated in the thigh muscles helps immensely.
I trained for and ran the N.Y.C. Marathon.with Itbs.
All my training(yes all)was done on an 800 meter stretch of
trail.
Needless to say there was no p.r.but I finished with no pain and it was not my slowest.
Also rotating between cushioned and motion controlled shoes helped.
I doubt the podiatrist would approve of that but he would not approve of running with ITBS in any case.
Ticktock
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/13/2008 2:17AM - in reply to Snatch Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
don't run serious mileage through ITBS, it'll really f*** you up.
OCD supporters
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/13/2008 2:33AM - in reply to realsoreguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Some short term things you can do is the shoe change to allow your foot/arch to become more useful. Barefoot running will help this outside your racing period. The other thing is to gain his mobility. In the short term releasing the glutes is the main thing to do. Grab a hold ball, lie down and cross one ankle over the other knee which is bent up off the ground. Now pretend to be a massuer on it.
Coach DD
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/13/2008 8:21AM - in reply to had it... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

had it... wrote:

leg extensions are good for strengthening the quads...

...but tough on the knees. Probably not a good idea for this guy right now.
chinese businessman
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/13/2008 8:26AM - in reply to realsoreguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
core strength - ancient chinese secret.
OCD supporters
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/13/2008 9:26AM - in reply to OCD supporters Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The thing to do is to gain hip mobility. In the short term releasing the glutes is the main thing to do. Grab a golf ball, lie down and cross one ankle over the other knee which is bent whilst the foot is on the ground. Now pretend to be a massuer and lean on the ball and release the tight bits. Then stretch them. This will take pressure off the ITB. Can you let me know how you go?
xcskier
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/13/2008 11:28AM - in reply to realsoreguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
ITBS is a pain in the ass. I have had it since last august. It is very difficult to deal with especially because of a lack of basic research on the condition and general ignorance of the research that has been done.

Below is a list of common treatment modalities that modern research has proved don't help ITBS. Look up the research yourself if you don't believe me.

1.ITBS is not caused by the IT band passing over the lateral condyle of the femur. If you look at the anatomy of the IT band this is completely impossible. ITBS is most likely caused by irritation of a fat pad on the outside of the knee.

2. It is impossible to stretch the IT band. The IT band is a strong as a steel band. It is pretty much impossible to effectively stretch a steel band. Static stretching is pretty much guaranteed not to provide any kind of relief.

3. A recent study came out that found no relationship between hip strength and IT band syndrome. Previous studies that claimed a relationship claimed only a small relationship between hip strength and ITBS.

4. Surgery has proved to be an effective treatment for ITBS. I believe it is a drastic approach. Complete rest followed by a slow, consistent build up in my opinion will yield similar results.

5. Trigger point (myofascial release) could solve your problem quite quickly. It is not guaranteed, and it is hard to find a good, knowledgeable practitioner but it could be your ticket out of this problem. Claire Davies has an excellent self-treatment book out.

6. Remember that this injury isn't stubborn. You are. It will likely take months to heal.

7.Most of my information comes from a site called saveyourself.ca (I have looked up the research myself) It has an excellent tutorial on ITBS that is well worth the money.
realsoreguy
RE: will running through ITBS cause permanent damage? 4/13/2008 11:42PM - in reply to xcskier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
alright thanks to all again. i am taking this advice and listening.

is what this guy right above me saying true? I could see how some of it could be, but like, the stretching comment - i dunno that long term stretching helps, but i've definitely been on runs, had my it band hurt like crazy, stopped to stretch for 30 seconds, and then run with less pain for the next ten minutes, before it starts to tighten up again.

thanks though, and i am checking out the site and book.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |