Pages: | 1 | 2 |
hrunner
anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/13/2008 3:00PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
my wife has been telling me lately that I smell very metallic after I run from my morning runs?

anyone else ever notice that... she claims it is a recent development and it wasn't like that until a few months ago

just wondering if i'm losing iron, etc. if it is something i should be concerned about
Yep
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/13/2008 3:08PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Run faster. Get the lead out! I wouldn't worry too much about it. Do you feel any different? If you were low on something I think you'd know it. Tell her you have balls of steel that's why
gonzo
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/13/2008 4:44PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I noticed that, too, when I was running REALLY well and very hard almost daily...for me. It was akin to an ammonia scent. Odd.

Somewhere I ran across the reason in some running mag, but it was 15 or more years ago.

It's been much harder, nearly impossible, since passing 40-45 and having injuries and surgery, to get that really good running back. I'd give a lot to be able to run that well again.

Enjoy your running while you're healthy. Not even the racing, it was the daily ability to get out and really crank a good run that I miss. You never know when it may be taken from you.
Citizen Runner
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/13/2008 4:49PM - in reply to gonzo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ammonia scent is an indication that you are burning proteins a fuel. You might want to adjust your diet. Here's the first Google hit I got with "running ammonia smell":
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2029
Earthling
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/13/2008 5:22PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why won't you cyborgs just leave us alone?

And now you're marrying into our people?

LEAVE US ALONE!!!
neanderthal dream
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/13/2008 5:25PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No, but my wife tells me I smell like gasoline when I run. I think our wives are crazy.
prefan
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/13/2008 5:30PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I knew a groupie once who used to smell like Metallica. And when I would come back from a run, she still smelled like Metallica. Does that count?
gjs
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 12:26PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My wife has told me the exact same thing after my morning runs. I asked her what type of metal because I was worried about losing iron. She said aluminum (aluminum foil to be exact)? I thought it might be partially caused by my clothing (Nike DriFit, polyester, nylon, other tech fabrics). However, I don't know???
The article was interesting.
NPSE
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 12:36PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, not the amonia smell from burning protein for fuel, but a metallic smell.

My wife says "you smell like wet coins". I always reply, let's get naked - she always says, um, no...(see post nuptial cut-off thread).
hrunner
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 12:43PM - in reply to NPSE Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
exactly - it isn't an ammonia smell (i specifically asked her that)

it is the smell of wet coins (good description) or aluminum

have either of you guys had problem with an iron defiency?

do you take vitamins?

NPSE wrote:

Yes, not the amonia smell from burning protein for fuel, but a metallic smell.

My wife says "you smell like wet coins". I always reply, let's get naked - she always says, um, no...(see post nuptial cut-off thread).
OldXCguy
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 1:01PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This would be a good question for Tinman.
NPSE
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 1:22PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Never had iron deficiency - I take a Centrum daily.

I think her nose is screwed up, she says my farts smell bad too (again, see post nuptial cut-off thread).
gjs
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 3:51PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No iron deficiency that I know of. I do take a multi-vitamin with minerals daily. I do seem to sweat a lot less then other guys when running. My recovery from workouts is slow, usually need 2 or 3 easy days after a hard workout, however, I feel fine and race well (except for the marathon, but that is another issue). My diet could be better, probably too much sugar and not enough veggies. I also thought it could be the type/brand of deodorant, but who knows???
russT
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 5:07PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Could your wife be pregnant? My wife is pregnant and her sense of smell has gone crazy. She smells all kinds of things.
ray
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 5:09PM - in reply to gjs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Never noticed it on me but I've noticed it on both my wife and ex wife (Both elite athletes). Seem to notice it in the cold but never in the heat of summer. also, don't most deoderant or antiperspirant still contain aluminium?
migo
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 5:48PM - in reply to ray Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Is smelling like metal better or worse than BO?
johnny chimpo
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 6:12PM - in reply to migo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I could actually smell the metalic on me . . . it was "inside" me if that makes sense . . . like in my nose. I thought I stank to everyone else, but I was the only one who could smell it. I was diagnosed with and treated for Graves' Disease. I don't get the semll any more.

I've also heard of cancer patients smelling a metallic odor.

This is from a Google search of "metallic smell": http://ezinearticles.com/?Metallic-Smell-Bad-Breath&id=290266.

From info in other listings, it could be that your wife is pregnant. Or perhaps you're running with coins? Since it sounds like many runners experience this, it wouldn't surprise me to know that it's a temporary iron depletion. Get it checked out if it persists.
gene mean
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/14/2008 7:28PM - in reply to hrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Been brought up here about 100 times. The search is really cool.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/process_search.php?search=ammonia+smell&search_time=0
hrunner
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/15/2008 7:21AM - in reply to gene mean Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
actually no you twat, i know the search function, we are describing a metallic smell, not an ammonia smell

they are different

gene mean wrote:

Been brought up here about 100 times. The search is really cool.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/process_search.php?search=ammonia+smell&search_time=0
need data
RE: anyone ever told they smell metallic after their normal morning run? 3/15/2008 7:25AM - in reply to NPSE Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The shut-off strikes when you least expect it, it seems.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |