d1 5ker
Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 2:09PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Will the elliptical aggravate my IT band if I injured it at the knee? It doesn't hurt to walk, but after 5 minutes of running starts to kill. I've been swimming, but I feel that the elliptical would be a better workout if it didn't hurt it more, plus my access to a pool is limited.
Anon
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 2:21PM - in reply to d1 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
itbssucks
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 2:42PM - in reply to d1 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Anybody have any first hand experience with pattstrap?

I have had ITBS for about 3 weeks and havent been able to run, and when i tried to run like the original poster i had to stop because the pain.....does this product actually help with itbs??
drsmrtypnts
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 3:11PM - in reply to d1 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Personally the elliptical aggravated my ITB MUCH worse than running alone, I would avoid it like the plague.

Keep up with the swimming and make sure you're strength training and stretching program is getting rid of the imbalances that led to your injury.

Also I tried and had no success w/ the patt strap, though some people I know have used it successfully...

This question comes up alot here but the best bet for ITB is:
-Foam roller
-Active Release Therapy
-DO NOT run through the pain
-ICE ICE ICE and IBP during acute phase
-Stretching program + Strengthening program for muscle imbalances that caused the issue (you can either look up which muscles are involved, or see a PT)
I started out on burgundy
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 3:16PM - in reply to d1 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My IT band was tight to where it pulled on the knee and screwed up the cap tracking - the elliptical did not bother it - but an injury to the band itself might...give it a short try.

Deep tissue massage / active release did the trick for me.

Good luck
IT
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 3:21PM - in reply to I started out on burgundy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have had experience w/ the injury and the patstrap. I found that the patstrap worked OKAY, but it is stupid to run through the injury unless it is the end of your season or something. Why not take the time to fix the injury then suffer the rest of the season? That being said, cycling didn't hurt my knee at all...which seemed weird, but it was great. Maybe try that? Some people have said it did aggrevate their IT Band though...
itbssucks
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 3:21PM - in reply to drsmrtypnts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
would colleges pay for active release therapy?

if not how much does this cost?
Eyegore
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 3:50PM - in reply to itbssucks Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I injured my IT band about two weeks ago, and have been hitting the elliptical pretty hard. It doesn't seem to aggravate the injury at all, and feels closer to running than getting on the bike or swimming. I actually did an interval session on the thing yesterday, and I felt close to the way I would expect to feel after intervals on the track.
Anon
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 4:31PM - in reply to itbssucks Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

itbssucks wrote:

Anybody have any first hand experience with pattstrap?

I have had ITBS for about 3 weeks and havent been able to run, and when i tried to run like the original poster i had to stop because the pain.....does this product actually help with itbs??

I have personal experience with the patt strap. It works great. I'm the one who's been posting about it recently. I just can't see bothering with all that other nonsense unless (including surgery!) unless you try this first.

I tried the ice, advil, deep tissue massage, time off, streching, roller, etc. None of it worked.

Patt strap did the trick. I litteraly went from hardly being able to run at all to running comfortably the same day. I was REALLY skeptical! But it worked.

Make sure to put it on properly. You want it to feel a little tight when you first start running. After a few minutes you won't notice it.

Please do yourself a favor and give it a shot. I don't know why so many on here are knocking it.
d1 5ker
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 5:59PM - in reply to d1 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am going to try the elliptical. and maybe order the pattstrap, but im a bit skeptical as i tried a similiar product which didn't help too much.
chica
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 2/28/2008 8:08PM - in reply to d1 5ker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In my bouts with IT band, I found that using the elliptical was the only way to keep in cardio shape along with swimming. I never had any pain with it. Try it out. If you have pain, I would stop immediately. If there isn't any pain, you're not aggrevating it & it should keep you in decent shape. Good luck!
itb syndrome blows
RE: Elliptical for IT band? 4/6/2009 9:53PM - in reply to chica Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have this damn injury now too and havent been able to run for 2 weeks and its looking like it will be at least another 2. Luckily Ive been able to keep fit using the elliptical. It doesnt aggravate it all and just the other day I did a 2 hour and 40 minute session. But if I try to run on the treadmill I could probably only last 15 mins. before some brutal pain kicks in.