lkj
What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/22/2008 10:28AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are they the same?
tm
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/22/2008 10:37AM - in reply to lkj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
lactate (C3H5O3-) is the conjugate base of lactic acid (HC3H5O3), which is a weak acid
wellnow
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/22/2008 11:06AM - in reply to lkj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No, they are not the same, lactic acid functions as an acid, but lactate does not, because it does not release a proton (H+ Hydrogen ion)into solution.

Lactic acid production occurs nature and is a used in food production as a preservative. Lactate is produced in the muscles and this production has an alkalizing effect, reducing acidity by accepting a proton.
Fizzyologist
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/22/2008 11:24AM - in reply to wellnow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
there's some suggestion that lactate is actually good for your muscles during working out. Contrary to popular 1920's oppinion that it is harmful.
same for lets run purposes
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/22/2008 11:45AM - in reply to Fizzyologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
as others posters have mentioned, in a strict sense they are different, but in everyday, running language they are usually used to refer to the same thing, i'd say. we do this with other acids as well, using aspartate and aspartic acid, glutamate and glutamic acid, acetic acid and acetate, etc interchangeably. (use the henderson-hasselbach equation to figure out which (acid or conjugate base) you have more of given different pH solutions. since the body is a buffered aqueous solution, it takes a LOT of lactic acid to change the blood's pH. most of the lactic acid produced becomes lactate and a proton, which is quickly gathered up by things like bicarbonate (mostly) or phosphate...)
Ronald Reagan
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/22/2008 11:49AM - in reply to wellnow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

wellnow wrote:

No, they are not the same, lactic acid functions as an acid, but lactate does not, because it does not release a proton (H+ Hydrogen ion)into solution.

Lactic acid production occurs nature and is a used in food production as a preservative. Lactate is produced in the muscles and this production has an alkalizing effect, reducing acidity by accepting a proton.

You're WAY off!
kibbles and bits
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/22/2008 11:49AM - in reply to same for lets run purposes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
but they aren't the same thing and most certainly affect how you run and how you feel differently.
wellnow
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/22/2008 12:07PM - in reply to Ronald Reagan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Ronald Reagan wrote:

wellnow wrote:

You're WAY off!

You need to get up to date.

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/287/3/R502
wellnow
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/22/2008 12:09PM - in reply to same for lets run purposes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You need to get up to date too:

same for lets run purposes wrote:

as others posters have mentioned, in a strict sense they are different, but in everyday, running language they are usually used to refer to the same thing, i'd say. we do this with other acids as well, using aspartate and aspartic acid, glutamate and glutamic acid, acetic acid and acetate, etc interchangeably. (use the henderson-hasselbach equation to figure out which (acid or conjugate base) you have more of given different pH solutions. since the body is a buffered aqueous solution, it takes a LOT of lactic acid to change the blood's pH. most of the lactic acid produced becomes lactate and a proton, which is quickly gathered up by things like bicarbonate (mostly) or phosphate...)
Ronald Reagan
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/22/2008 12:50PM - in reply to wellnow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

wellnow wrote:

You need to get up to date.

I need to get up to date? You offer a REVIEW of older material that is itself several years old, and you dare suggest that I am the one needing to get up to date? Hah! Get your head out of the sand.
wellnow
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/23/2008 9:48AM - in reply to Ronald Reagan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ok, I get the joke. Yes you are funny, I'm being sincere here, 100% I'm smiling as I post, I am genuinely amused honestly, you gotta belive me.

You do believe me don't you?
Runningart2004
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/23/2008 10:18AM - in reply to wellnow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Do you taste pennies?

Alan
Can u do better
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/23/2008 10:25AM - in reply to wellnow Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

wellnow wrote:

Ok, I get the joke. Yes you are funny, I'm being sincere here, 100% I'm smiling as I post, I am genuinely amused honestly, you gotta belive me.

You do believe me don't you?

Is that all you got? Can you not refute what he had to say? Are we to believe all of your posts on this topic have been baseless?
I prefer
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/23/2008 10:28AM - in reply to Can u do better Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A lactating woman. MA MA.
wellnow
RE: What is the difference between lactate and lactic acid? 2/25/2008 12:08PM - in reply to Can u do better Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Refute what? he hasn't said anything.

But if you want to know more, here it

is:http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/287/3/R502