fUrCeOsNhN
Elevated resting heart rate when sick? 2/10/2008 6:52PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Normally my resting heart rate is about 45-46, but last night before I went to bed I measured it and it was about 50. I was a little surprised because it was an easy day with 2 moderate 5 milers.

Then today I woke up late (slept like 12 hours) and felt like crap-light headed and had a sore throat/chest. Also I took my heart rate and it was 80 beats/minute. Took it again a few minutes later and got 76 beats/ minute.

That is a bit scary as I run about 8-9 miles a day but only managed 3 today. Is this something to worry about or is a 75% increase in reasting heart rate serious?
Bagger
RE: Elevated resting heart rate when sick? 2/10/2008 7:29PM - in reply to fUrCeOsNhN Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Raised HR normal response when the body is fighting infection, bacteria, etc. This is one reason that the adage of running through any cold above the neck is flawed. Energy spent running takes away from the body's ability to heal. Ten bpm above normal would be a good indicator that you should take some r&r time.
dmb
RE: Elevated resting heart rate when sick? 2/10/2008 7:36PM - in reply to fUrCeOsNhN Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
keep in mind that cold remedies contain pseudoephedrine and other stimulants

what you describe is not unusual for me when I'm sick.
Chica
RE: Elevated resting heart rate when sick? 2/10/2008 7:51PM - in reply to fUrCeOsNhN Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was sick about a month ago--I felt a little run down, scratchy throat at night, went to sleep, and woke up feeling horrible--I mean, the whole sore throat, cold sweats, dizziness, etc. My resting heart rate was up to 85, up from ~45bpm. Turns out I had the flu. Yes, illness elevates resting heart rate.
fUrCeOsNhN
RE: Elevated resting heart rate when sick? 2/10/2008 7:57PM - in reply to Chica Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ugh I hope it's not the flu. What do I do for that, just drink a lot of water and sit tight/wait it out?
Chica
RE: Elevated resting heart rate when sick? 2/10/2008 11:05PM - in reply to fUrCeOsNhN Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sorry to say, but yeah, that's really about it. Also, I heard somewhere that taking zinc supplements right when you feel like you're getting sick is supposed to decrease the length of a virus somewhat. Don't know if it's true or not, but doesn't hurt to give it a try. Hope you feel better soon.