lopsided bob
my calves are different sizes... any idea why? 2/6/2008 1:21PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
it's not really a problem, per se, but maybe could lead to some future issues.

my left calf is significantly (visibly) smaller than my right one. we're talking kenyan calf on the left with tiny ankle and little ball of muscle at the top. on the right, the actual muscle part is about the same width but starts much further down on the leg (closer to the ankle).

i think this might have to do with running on a track (left turns) for so long but that doesn't sit right with me as the overall cause. perhaps it is just a weird deformity.

it doesn't really bother me except that it might lead to strength discrepencies, which could always lead to injury.

wondering what the letsrun community might have to say about it...
Shoeless Ron
RE: my calves are different sizes... any idea why? 2/6/2008 1:27PM - in reply to lopsided bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You have herpes.
bigger problems
RE: my calves are different sizes... any idea why? 2/6/2008 1:30PM - in reply to Shoeless Ron Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Calves? What about you lopsided bob? I'd be more worried about that!
Harry Kooter
RE: my calves are different sizes... any idea why? 2/6/2008 1:32PM - in reply to bigger problems Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

bigger problems wrote:

What about you lopsided bob?

Who's lopsided Bob?
marijuologist
RE: my calves are different sizes... any idea why? 2/6/2008 1:34PM - in reply to lopsided bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's simple geometry- the potential size of a muscle is limited by the length of its belly. The longer the muscle belly, the more "space" the muscle has for volume. All the large bodybuilders have very long muscle bellies. Your right calf has a longer belly and a shorter tendon, so it develops more than the other. It's pure genetics and there's nothing you can do about it.
Harry Kooter
RE: my calves are different sizes... any idea why? 2/6/2008 1:37PM - in reply to Harry Kooter Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Harry Kooter wrote:

bigger problems wrote:

What about you lopsided bob?

Who's lopsided Bob?

Ok, I didn't realize that this was the OP's screenname when I posted this in attempt to point out that you said "you" instead of "your". So I guess my attempt at calling you out just ended up with me asking a stupid question.
calves
RE: my calves are different sizes... any idea why? 2/7/2008 8:16AM - in reply to Harry Kooter Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
why do sprinters have such small calves if having them shorter is a disadvantage?
Sackmonster
RE: my calves are different sizes... any idea why? 2/7/2008 8:38AM - in reply to lopsided bob Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think you should stop m@sturbating with your right foot and start using you hand.
Sackmonster
RE: my calves are different sizes... any idea why? 2/7/2008 8:39AM - in reply to Sackmonster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
... or alternate between your left & right foot.
MiniMiniMe
RE: my calves are different sizes... any idea why? 2/7/2008 8:47AM - in reply to Sackmonster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Any chance this could be caused by doing a lot of running on a track? Maybe you use your right leg a bit more when you are always turning left.

Heck, the Nascar guys often just replace the two outside tires when they come into a pit stop, so there might be something to this.