Pages: | 1 | 2 |
wondering...
Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/30/2008 11:21PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does anyone lace their shoes the Lydiard way? I lace mine in the traditional "normal" fashion and haven't had any problems with it. If so, why did you make the switch? Lacing my shoes "his way" makes my shoes feel too loose no matter how tight i make them. I'm sticking with the normal method.
Glenn McCarthy
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 8:43AM - in reply to wondering... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, I do. And I tell everyone that will listen to try it. The two benefits, as I see it, are 1. the way the lacing is pressed by the shoe's upper, if it comes untied, the lacing does not slip and loosen. So if it happened in a race the shoe stays on. And 2. the relaxing of the pressure on the top of the foot can minimize some of the stress that can cause metatarsal stress factures. I had one runner switch and he reduced shin stress as he was able to get more bend in the forefoot of his shoe and therefore was not working his shins as hard.

My $.02.

Glenn
keep_going
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 8:47AM - in reply to wondering... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I switched a few years ago because I was feeling a lot of pain on the top of my foot and ankle areas after almost every single run of 10 miles or more. Once I made the switch to the Lydiard lacing, the pain went away.

You're right that you don't get that nice tight lacing feeling (at least I don't), but it helped with whatever it was I was irritating, so I stuck with it.
Just Ducky
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 8:52AM - in reply to Glenn McCarthy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I do and agree with Glenn. I wasn't having trouble with the tendons on the top of my foot/ankle/shin, but I figure it helps me recover better and my shoes feel more comfortable (while still being secure on my foot) than they did lacing the usual way. I get shoes that fit, so they don't feel "too loose" with the Lydiard lacing.
lQ100
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 8:54AM - in reply to wondering... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The cult of Lydiard is now to the shoes too. This is micomanagement and can result in compulsive behaviours of those involved. Do you want to tie your shoe like this? Okay for you but not to promote that behaviour onto everyone. This is not good Kool Aid for everyone so don't do the drink. The Lydiard cult is more like the minimalists. Do it my way or go to the highway. We are all different. There is not one method for each.
HRE
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 9:01AM - in reply to lQ100 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
And did anyone say there is only one way to lace shoes? Other than you, that is?
lQ100
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 9:09AM - in reply to HRE Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

HRE wrote:

And did anyone say there is only one way to lace shoes? Other than you, that is?

The reference to "his way" is mantra to those of the Lydiard cult. Can you not see this? May be that is a sign that you have tried the Kool Aid and liked what you tasted. To be objective is the goal of well rounded peoples. You should too. The lacings of the shoe are an important sign that there is compulsive behaviours associated with the Lydiard cult. Beware or you may be brainwashed too.
Top Cat
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 9:34AM - in reply to HRE Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm interested in trying the method. Can you explain the process? Thanks.
not again
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 9:48AM - in reply to lQ100 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Agree, I wish these sheeple would quit trying to come on here and brainwash us with their "personal testimonies" and "$0.02". Stop forcing us to click on your threads and read your reasoned opinions!
Glenn McCarthy
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 9:49AM - in reply to Top Cat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Top Cat,

send me your email address and I'll send you a Word document with the instructions spelled out.

GLenn
HRE
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 9:58AM - in reply to Top Cat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I really couldn't describe it. You'll get a better idea of it if you send Glen that e-mail. It's really easier to show it than describe it.
HRE
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 10:00AM - in reply to lQ100 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank heaven we have you to protect everyone from the dangers of alternate methods of lacing shoes.
Magnum PI
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 10:18AM - in reply to lQ100 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
IQ100 seems to have forgotten to write that out in his usual "foreigner typing stilted English" manner.

Big oops!

IQ100, you slipped! Please tell us your regular name.
THISJUSTIN
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 10:23AM - in reply to Magnum PI Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
SKUJ
THISJUSTIN
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 10:39AM - in reply to THISJUSTIN Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
NOW LOOK HERE, STOP SAYING CULT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT A CULT IS:

The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.

‪ Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.

‪ Mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).

‪ The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry—or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth).

‪ The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s) and members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar—or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity).

‪ The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.

‪ The leader is not accountable to any authorities (unlike, for example, teachers, military commanders or ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream religious denominations).

‪ The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary. This may result in members' participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before joining the group (for example, lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities).

‪ The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt iin order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.

‪ Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group.

‪ The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.

‪ The group is preoccupied with making money.

‪ Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.

‪ Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.

‪ The most loyal members (the “true believers”) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be, and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.
neutralize
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 10:42AM - in reply to THISJUSTIN Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
hey guys recetly like last 4 days i started hurting on top side of my foot on right leg. and someone mentioned to me i could be tying my shoes too tight and so i tried loosening to help with the pain and it works but towards the end of my run i feel it. i dont tie the traditional way some dude showed me a different way but its not lydiard way either. its like traditional but at the end u go all the way to the last right and left holes then come back and go under hard to explain but i get the purpose was to hold u tight. i want to try the lydiard way can some one take pictures of ur shoes the way its tied and post or give explanation. thanks. here is my email.
Benny the Ball
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 11:58AM - in reply to Top Cat Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Top Cat wrote:

I'm interested in trying the method. Can you explain the process? Thanks.

http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur%20Lydiard.pdf

page 26

I am not a Lydiard fan but I have to admit that since lacing my shoes like this my feel are much more comfortable. Worth a try!
wondering...
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 2:41PM - in reply to Benny the Ball Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
jar
RE: Lacing the "Lydiard Way" 1/31/2008 4:31PM - in reply to wondering... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I started lacing my shoes the "Lydiard" way a few years ago when the man himself showed me how. What a tremendous difference it had immediately. It helped my foot spread out and took the pressure off of the metatarsals, which bothered me in the past.

You can see how it's done here. http://thehighschoolrunner.com/2007/09/shoe-lacing.html
Pages: | 1 | 2 |