Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
congratstothe FlyingFinn
NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 12:16PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
December 18, 2007-Victoria. B.C.
Under rainy and blustery conditions, the mighty Jim Finlayson set a new beer mile World Record last night on the Oak Bay track in Victoria B.C. at the 4th Annual Dave Smart Beer Mile. Abiding by all of the Kingston rules, Mr Finlayson clocked an incredible 5 minutes and 9 seconds for this celebration of beer and running.
The Flying Finn, drinking Granville Island Winter Ale, bested his own previous world record by 11 seconds and moved ever closer to the elusive sub-5 minute mark, once described as unattenable.

For full results please visit: http://www.beermile.com/display/event_913
oh yeah
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 12:21PM - in reply to congratstothe FlyingFinn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
what were the splits
Goad
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 12:22PM - in reply to congratstothe FlyingFinn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow, what a sad story about Dave Smart. No one is safe from cancer.
lboro
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 12:41PM - in reply to Goad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
a great run no doubt, but still slower than the British record (more volume of beer but out of a glass not a bottle)
rockafella
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 12:43PM - in reply to Goad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
how come this guy was 31 last year and 35 this year according to his stat sheet on the website. i think it's all fake.
Ziggy is God
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 12:45PM - in reply to rockafella Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Please tell me someone got this on video.
congratstothe FlyingFinn
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 12:50PM - in reply to lboro Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Iboro, Finn was drinking from cans, not a bottle, as per the Kingston rules.
Drinking from a glass would make for much faster drinking times, even though the pint glass is bigger.
I do not know what the split times were, I will do some homework and report back here. I do know that his slowest beer was 12.5 seconds and he drank around 10 seconds per can.

Yes, the Dave Smart story is a very sad one, fortunately though, his life is very well celebrated through the Dave Smart Foundation and they have done an admirable job of raising awareness and promoting Melanoma research.
Nowhere Near
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 1:07PM - in reply to congratstothe FlyingFinn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've heard legend that a certain New Zealander who attended the University of Michigan came in under 4:50(closer to 4:40), while he was still in college. Obviously because of his stature as a sponsored athlete, it was not reported to any beer mile governing bodies, but I have sought witnesses and confirmed it. I find it completely reasonable to think he could have...heard he ran the first 400 around 50 flat, which gives a great headstart for the accomplishment. So, the official "world record" is actually about 20-30 seconds off.
Tim W
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 1:11PM - in reply to lboro Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What is the British record? Quickest I heard about was a 5.11 a few years ago at Loughborough (Montague) and AC Muir's 5.13.
Dr. Science
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 1:11PM - in reply to Nowhere Near Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Oh, hay guys, the indians ran 4:00 miles back in the 1600s!!!lol"

Hah! If it's not official, it's not the record. If said NZer wants the glory, he's go to have proper documentation and witnesses. It's Science, people.
it says bottle
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 1:13PM - in reply to congratstothe FlyingFinn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1. Jim Finlayson 5:09.0 M 35 Granville Island Winter Ale, from bottle
congratstothe FlyingFinn
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 1:23PM - in reply to it says bottle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ooops, these pictures show that you are indeed correct:
http://pih.bc.ca/chat/ReadMessage.php?nMessageID=112825
(Jim Finn, bib #1)

However this does not negate the effort according to the Kingston Beer mile rules:
5. Competitors must drink canned beer and the cans should not be less than 355ml (the standard can volume) or 12oz (the imperial equivalent).
Bottles may be substituted for cans as long as they are at least12 oz (341 ml) in volume.
(http://beermile.com/faq.beer#rules)
nola
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 1:24PM - in reply to it says bottle Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Full video of a yards, cinder track 5:34 from bottle, abita amber.

Is on its way to beermile.com -- it's from 2005.
youreTHATguy
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 1:50PM - in reply to Nowhere Near Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Nowhere Near wrote:

I've heard legend that a certain New Zealander who attended the University of Michigan came in under 4:50(closer to 4:40), while he was still in college. Obviously because of his stature as a sponsored athlete, it was not reported to any beer mile governing bodies, but I have sought witnesses and confirmed it. I find it completely reasonable to think he could have...heard he ran the first 400 around 50 flat, which gives a great headstart for the accomplishment. So, the official "world record" is actually about 20-30 seconds off.

complete bullshit, not a chance. REPEAT: NO WAY
mnbvcxz
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 2:10PM - in reply to congratstothe FlyingFinn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I heard Keska ran one in the high 4:40s at the U of O. I was present for a 5:12 at an insignificant D3 school back in 1997, so I'd say the recordkeeping is a bit off.
Pete
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/19/2007 2:16PM - in reply to congratstothe FlyingFinn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

congratstothe FlyingFinn wrote: Ooops, these pictures show that you are indeed correct:
http://pih.bc.ca/chat/ReadMessage.php?nMessageID=112825
(Jim Finn, bib #1)
Looks like a DQ to me. Look at his foot...
lboro
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/20/2007 11:51AM - in reply to Pete Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
AC's British Record was beaten first by James Hogg (AKA SCaggle AKA the wildboar) who ran 5.08 and made a national newspaper (not a tabloid either)

Then Chris Parr ran 5.06.

World u23 triathlon champ will clarke briefly claimed the record a year later when he ran 5.05 but it was soon discovered that his first pint was an alcopop not a pint so he was DQ'd.

So Parr remains British Record Holder
liam reale
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/20/2007 12:16PM - in reply to lboro Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
so lets get it straight how it owrks?does the gun go and u start to down your drink on the spot or can u run with it?
also its 4 beers in 4 laps?330cl can or bottle or pint?
Mandingo
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/20/2007 12:27PM - in reply to liam reale Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here you go; 4 beer, 4 laps, no running with beer:

http://www.beermile.com/faq.beer
Ex-Duck Beer Mile Witness
RE: NEW BEER MILE WR 12/20/2007 9:07PM - in reply to Mandingo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was at UO and I seem to remember Keska had a time in the high 4:50s or low 5:00s for the beer mile one year.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |