Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Skinny Dude
Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 6:24PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Is it just me...

... or does this drive you nuts?

When you're on an airplane... and the guy (or woman) next to you is so fat, that their fat oozes into your "zone" and therefore you don't have as much room.

I reckon if someone is that fat, they should buy two air tickets - which I believe is policy with some airlines.

But what if they're next to you? And what if they take the whole *&^%(^% armrest and their arm is in your zone. Do you man up and say, "Excuse me, you're in my zone?"

How do you handle it... without making a scene?

I got a long, long flight next weekend and I'm praying I don't sit next to a fattie who hogs the armrest and oozes into my personal space.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.
somehomodude
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 6:33PM - in reply to Skinny Dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How to handle it? Change seats, get even skinnier, or, even better, SHUT THE HELL UP.
yumyum
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 6:42PM - in reply to somehomodude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
all you have to do is offer to eat their meal they get on the plane. lol
Buddy the Elf
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 6:43PM - in reply to Skinny Dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
when i was flying to ireland a couple of years ago i sat next to a quite large lady, and by the time i had gotten there, she had already put up the armrest and was taking up a quarter of my seat- needless to say it was a quite long, uncomfortable flight. The plane was full, so I couldn't change seats.

I think it is unfair to ask fat people to pay more, but it is also extremely unfair for the person who is sitting next to them-maybe airlines should make a deal where if you are going to "spill out" onto someone else's seat, the person next to you gets a discounted flight and the fat person has to cover the difference. This way, poor, skinny people will have an incentive to sit next to a fatty. Now, that seat would be something that is hunted for by poor college students instead of hated by all...just a thought.
A Gibby
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 6:46PM - in reply to yumyum Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What meal? I only get a bag of nuts. Thats why I stop at McDonalds and get supersize fries and chicken McNuggets for the flight.
Harry Kooter
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 7:08PM - in reply to Skinny Dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Part of the problem is the fact that the seats are barely large enough for a normal size person. For example, you talk about the armrest being taken by the person next to you. Why is there one armrest between two seats? Is this normal for furniture in these peoples minds? Is the president of U.S. Air sitting in an office chair that has one armrest? I thought that it was pretty much standard for a chair to have two armrests. I mean each person has two arms, so that would seem to make sense to me.

That being said, you can always upgrade to business class or first class, though I wouldn't spend the money on that personally.
6packjack
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 7:18PM - in reply to Skinny Dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Skinny Dude wrote:

Is it just me...

When you're on an airplane... and the guy (or woman) next to you is so fat, that their fat oozes into your "zone" and therefore you don't have as much room.

If you are as skinny as you say, you should have room to spare.
fatass slobs
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 7:38PM - in reply to 6packjack Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Fat people should either have to buy two seats or sit in the business section where seats are wider.
Segregationist
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 8:57PM - in reply to fatass slobs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Can't they all just be forced to the back of the bus/plane? This would accomplish many things. First they wouldn't spill their flab into the space of the lean, only members of their own disgusting race. Second their stupid slow asses wouldn't impede the progress of others who are trying to exit the aircraft when it lands. And finally the most compelling reason is that the rest of us would not have to gaze upon their unaesthetically form. Better yet can't we just put these people in cages and cover it up with a dark robe so they are never visible in public.
jesse jackson
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 9:08PM - in reply to Skinny Dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Skinny Dude wrote:

Is it just me...

Cheers.

no, it's just you. I love having someone elses body fat resting on me for multiple hours in a row. One of lifes few pleasures.
dont understand
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 9:58PM - in reply to Skinny Dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Honestly this country has gotten to the point where its now exceptable to be fat. We go out of way to make sure these people are not offended. For instance, how many people here buy nike or adidas shirts. Not the technical ones, even them sometimes. The small fits like a medium to large. I for the most part cannot buy anything in medium because it would be too huge on me. We accomidate these people too much and its telling the fatty's that it ok to stay how you are and its letting others think its ok to get fat.

I also agree on how airlines think that each person should use the same arm rest. I think they can manage a few more inches to add an extra two rests. Also fat people need to have isle seats end of story, that way their fattnes leaks into the isle stead of on other people. Or better yet the tubbos should have to be checked like baggage and stored under the plane. Then no one would be bothered by them.
Jamie S
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 10:14PM - in reply to dont understand Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
One of the few non-running advantages of a runners build (short and skinny). No space issues in Economy!
cosigner
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 10:27PM - in reply to Skinny Dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
here is my advice: you will have a short and unhappy life if you spend it imagining things to be mad about weeks in advance. your flight is next weekend, and you're getting yourself agitated about the possibility that you might sit next to a fat person? i wonder what your resting heart rate is. . . .

Skinny Dude wrote:

Is it just me...

I reckon if someone is that fat, they should buy two air tickets - which I believe is policy with some airlines.

But what if they're next to you? And what if they take the whole *&^%(^% armrest and their arm is in your zone. Do you man up and say, "Excuse me, you're in my zone?"

How do you handle it... without making a scene?

I got a long, long flight next weekend and I'm praying I don't sit next to a fattie who hogs the armrest and oozes into my personal space.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.
somehomodude
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 10:49PM - in reply to Segregationist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Segregationist wrote:

Can't they all just be forced to the back of the bus/plane? This would accomplish many things. First they wouldn't spill their flab into the space of the lean, only members of their own disgusting race. Second their stupid slow asses wouldn't impede the progress of others who are trying to exit the aircraft when it lands. And finally the most compelling reason is that the rest of us would not have to gaze upon their unaesthetically form. Better yet can't we just put these people in cages and cover it up with a dark robe so they are never visible in public.

Post of the day.
cassio598
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/6/2007 10:56PM - in reply to dont understand Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dont understand wrote:
Also fat people need to have isle seats end of story

I personally would like an isle seat, complete with girls in grass skirts, white sand beaches, and drinks with little umbrellas in them.
Sam..
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/7/2007 3:46AM - in reply to Skinny Dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The plane will not take off
track chick
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/7/2007 4:45AM - in reply to Sam.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
well, it definitely wouldn't if all the fat people were sitting at the back (even if it was on a treadmill).
Steve Martin
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/7/2007 7:00AM - in reply to track chick Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
From the national association to advance fat acceptance...

Airline Tips for Large Passengers
Airline travel can be a nightmare for the large person. Small seats and aisles, the long walk from the check-in area to the gate, and the frequent insensitivity of passengers and crew can all contribute to an unpleasant flying experience. But with careful planning, your flight can be safe and enjoyable. Follow the guidelines listed below in order to maximize your comfort while flying.

BOOK CAREFULLY - Book your flight carefully, avoiding "rush-hour" air time. Take advantage of "red-eye special" deals, where the plane is less likely to be full . The chance of the seat next to yours remaining empty is 0% if you are flying out of LAX at 0 600 on a Monday morning.
EMPTY SEAT - Tell the airline that you are large and ask that the seat next to yours remain empty if at all possible. The worst the airline can do is say "No", but most airlines will at least attempt to accommodate.
BELT EXTENSIONS - Request a seat-belt extension when you book your flight, and/or ask for one when you board the plane. Do not wait for the flight attendant's animated safety speech to discuss this need.
SEAT SIZE - When you book your flight ask specifically for the seat measurements of the plane you will be on. Explain your need and ask for the largest seat in your section of the plane. Even one inch can make a big difference.
AISLE OR WINDOW - Request a seat assignment for the aisle or window, where you will I have a little more room, and make sure that you don't have a bulkhead seat. While you have more leg-room in bulkhead, the armrests in the bulkhead do not raise, and the tray tables come out of the armrest across your lap. Supersize flyers might wish to request an aisle seat in a row where the outside armrests are movable, making it easier to slide into the row.
PRE-BOARD - Even mid-size people have trouble squeezing down the micro-sized center aisle of most planes, and this task is even more difficult the plane is already plump with passengers. For this reason, you should preboard the plane with the rest of the passengers who need extra time in boarding. The gate agent probably won't hassle you, but if she asks, just say that you're a large person and need a little extra time.
ARMREST UP - When you get to your seat during pre-boarding, raise the armrest between seats. This may give you the inch or two of extra space you need. The chances are that the passenger who will be seated next to you won't say anything; if he does, smile pleasantly and say that you'll both be more comfortable if the armrest is up.
RESTROOMS - Use the airport restroom before boarding your plane. Ask when booking your trip if handicapped facilities are available on your particular flight. If not, you may want to change your plans and fly on a plane equipped with an accessible restroom.
TRAY-TABLE - If you cannot bring down the tray-table, have the flight attendant ask the passenger in front of you to put their seat to the full upright position for mealtime. If this doesn't help, set a pillow on your lap, and your meal tray on the pillow.
DO THE BUMP - Consider being bumped voluntarily. Not only can this be extremely profitable for fat frequent flyers (see related article), but your chances of being re-assigned to a partially full plane are greatly enhanced. You won't mind the inconvenience of an odd departure/arrival time if your next trip by air is at a greatly reduced price.
SECOND SEAT - If you have purchased a second seat for comfort, be sure to let the flight attendant know as you board the plane. This will avoid embarrassment, as an ignorant flight attendant may try to fill your second seat.
EXIT ROW SEAT - The exit-row seats over the wings of most planes have considerably more leg room than the rest of the seats in economy class. While FM regulations state that exit-row seating may be denied to fat passengers, requesting an exit-row seat may be a viable option for fat people who are tall and those with reasonably good health and mobility.
GATE TRANSPORTATION - It's usually a long walk between curbside check-in and the gate, or between gates when you have connecting flights. When making your reservations, make sure to tell the agent if you will need special services, such as the airport tra m or an armless wheelchair and attendant.
The most important thing to remember is that you have the right to fly anywhere you want to go. Your needs deserve to be met, but it may be up to you to remind them of this simple fact. If you experience problems despite your precautions, write a letter of complaint to the airline. Remember, you have a right to accessible transportation.
Miyamoto Musashi
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/7/2007 7:06AM - in reply to Skinny Dude Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
track chick
RE: Sitting next to fat people on airplanes 12/7/2007 7:10AM - in reply to Steve Martin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
that's absolutely frightening that people can get themselves into the state where they need handicapped facilities, a wheelchair, and consider a walk from check-in to the gate a long walk.

also, i'm sure i won't be more comfortable if the arm rest is up.

how can people let themselves get like this? quality of life must be low... it's sad.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |