Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
young gun Pally
Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 1:57AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm not even twenty years old and it seems like life just keeps on getting more and more complicated and more and more stressful. I often think back to my elementary and even jr. high days and smile at how joyful and carefree life was. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy now and enjoying myself in college, but for the most part, life is has gotten a little less enjoyable each year since about 7th or 8th grade. Since I am young and don't really know much about life compared to many of the older guys here, I thought I'd ask for some opinions.
gj
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 2:00AM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Honey, most of us here wouldn't be your age again for all the money in the world. Life begins at 40. But enjoy every stage.
stressin
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 2:11AM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Good thread man. I am 19 and although I am having loads of fun in college I am also feeling mad pressure from school and work and just being on my own.
rob23
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 6:09AM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Of course its depends on your circumstances but there are many unknowns and life affecting challenges in your early 20's that can be pretty stressful.

After you get more established, get some money in your pocket, things get better. Once that happens things generally improve with age.

Genrally the highs of life might not be as exciting as you age (over 30 and beyond) but the low's are not nearly as low.

It averages out higher.
Harry Kooter
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 8:02AM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The past always seems like a better time simply because you remember the good much more vividly than the bad. That isn't to say that life wasn't actually better in the past for some (maybe you), but there is a bias just based on selective memory. When I think back to high school, my first thoughts are all good, but when I think a little harder about some of the other shit that was going on at the time, I realize that there were high points and low points just like now.

If you really think that middle school was much better than today, maybe you should try to figure out what made it better. I realize that much of the difference is situational and that you'll never have quite the same situation again (you can't just decide to live with your parents and have all expenses paid for you, for example). But what parts of your life that you can control have changed for the worse since then? How can you change these things back?

If you like the fact that life was carefree then, realize that you can still live a low stress life even as an adult. You might have to make some sacrifices to do so, but if it's worth it to you, that's what really matters. Things that are out of your control change, but a lot of things are in your control. It just comes down to figuring out what it really is that you want (what's missing now that you had back then) and then deciding how you can get it.

I have some personal experience with this. I will graduate this year and I've been applying to a lot of fast paced corporate type jobs that would leave me financially set and in great possition to "climb the ladder". A few weeks ago, I realized that I don't want that life for another few years. For now, I'm happy to make enough money to live and have time to run and enjoy life. Maybe in a few years I'll be ready to jump into the corporate world, but I'm in no rush. I completely changed the types of jobs that I'm applying to and I'm happy about it.

I guess the point of this is just to say that some choices are made for you, but you need to decide what you want and how YOU can make yourself happy. Don't worry about the things you can't change, but work with all the things that you can change.
Yup get used to it
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 8:07AM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is especially true for those of you under age 25.

I am not an office holder, office seeker nor top CEO, but I WILL apologize for the mess the damned "woodstock generation" (remember? tune in/turn on/drop out...share the wealth...eat the rich...and now the bastards around my age have proved to the greediest, most selfish, rotten bunch since the 'robber barons' of the late 19th century) who are my age or close to it, who left you this mess.

I am deeply sorry.
If you wanted to euthanize us, I really couldn't blame you.

Happy Veteran's Day weekend to those who served and at least TRIED to do the right thing.
finally, some honesty
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 11:08AM - in reply to Yup get used to it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
POD!
ItsEasy
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 11:47AM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does life just get worse and worse as you get older?

Very simple answer....YES, enjoy it now.
Lifehouser
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 11:55AM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Life in the future kinda depends. My thirties were more fun than my twenties. I didn't really enjoy my teens as much either.
Biggest reason was my confidence in myself wasn't as high. I ran all the time to escape ill-feelings and soul-searched.
Then I figured it out: I spent too much time focusing on my have-nots and not enough on what I had.
I realized trying to 'fit in' was being a follower (coward), not a leader (revolutionary). As a runner, I followed the path of my own heart and I lived out my dream there fully.
All those years running left me really fit and I started to look at my 'haves' that grew from it: I was good-looking, intelligent, introspective, funny. They were instrinsic qualities that would never go away.
When I recognized this, I became confident, found a low-income, but extremely rewarding job that reflects everything I value and love.
Now I live with smoking hot sweetheart of a woman and my internal happiness in myself is a people-magnet. I enjoy lots of friends.
Life doesn't have to be complicated. Mine could be, but I choose to keep it simple and wholesome.
bug precious
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 12:29PM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Interesting topic. For me, it's almost impossible to compare different stages of my life. Life has never been easy even though I always like to glorify the past and only remember the best parts.

I'm 30 now with a wife, kid and real job. Life is good for the most part. Is it better than when I was in high school? Who knows? Your life will certainly change with age but you will always be able to find enjoyment if you are a happy person by nature. Just always try to stay with what you like to do rather than chase money doing something you hate.
asdasdhjk
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 2:08PM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Life will continue to get worse every single day until the day you realize it is actually getting better. Don't wait a long time to come to that realization.
Peter Gibbons
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 2:14PM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."
MAYEROFF
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 4:17PM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

young gun Pally wrote:

I'm not even twenty years old and it seems like life just keeps on getting more and more complicated and more and more stressful. I often think back to my elementary and even jr. high days and smile at how joyful and carefree life was. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy now and enjoying myself in college, but for the most part, life is has gotten a little less enjoyable each year since about 7th or 8th grade. Since I am young and don't really know much about life compared to many of the older guys here, I thought I'd ask for some opinions.

This is why I signed off from the corporate world and moved to Thailand. Buying a house in Reno in 1995 was the start of an incredibly depressive part of my life, so I got out of it.

I don't have hardly any responsibilities, no bad weather (just hot and humid weather!), and I have a great time. It's like I am 8 years old again! When I need food, I just speed dial the kitchen in my building, and they bring me up some delicious Thai food for about a dollar. I go to the dentist for about 20 bucks, and rent is about 400 bucks, free cable TV, etc etc. No wife to deal with, No kids to drive me crazy, and I have a GREAT time. Life is GOOD.
heads up
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 4:20PM - in reply to MAYEROFF Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
watch out for the Islamists, Jason
not a serious runner
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 4:38PM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
yes it does. don't ever get over 30 years old. I'm 29 now. my youth and my life are soon gone.
der
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 4:43PM - in reply to not a serious runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No, it gets better!!!!! Are you closer to death? Yeah, do things start breaking up inside you..yeah...
BUT, as you near retirement, and your financially locked in to at least being able to survive and driving around watching CC, indoor and outdoors for the rest of your life...
It is a great feeling..It is a great feeling to know that you only have to take shit off of a horrible boss....if you want to.
You don't have to..It's not so bad.

well, except the closer to death part.
not a serious runner
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 4:50PM - in reply to gj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

gj wrote:

Honey, most of us here wouldn't be your age again for all the money in the world. Life begins at 40. But enjoy every stage.

but all of us would definitely want the body and the mind of a 19 year old with present life experience.
Hillcrest Navy SEAL
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 4:58PM - in reply to young gun Pally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sounds like you need a good man in your life to care for you. Join the U.S. Navy or perhaps the Catholic Church. We have many good men willing to love and caress you.
Avocados Number
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 5:00PM - in reply to Yup get used to it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Yup get used to it wrote:
If you wanted to euthanize us, I really couldn't blame you.

How about they euthanize just you, and let me live? I mean, I actually happen to be a pretty decent person, and I'd like to enjoy a few years before I die.
old
RE: Does life just get worse and worse as you get older? 11/11/2007 5:02PM - in reply to Hillcrest Navy SEAL Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
yes, I am 28 and life sucks!! too much worries and responsibility. College is the best it will get..
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |