Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
mpj
RE: High ACT, Low GPA? 9/15/2007 11:23PM - in reply to collegebound Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

collegebound wrote:

Does a high ACT score compensate for a low GPA? I got a 30 on the ACT, but my GPA is only 2.46. Also, I am half White and half Mexican. This is my senior year in high school and am thinking about the following colleges and wondering if I am being too ambitious:
University of Illinois
University of Minnesota
Wisconsin Lacrosse
Wisconsin-Madison
Colorado College

If these are the schools you're considering, go for it. The worst they can tell you is, "No".

Now when you do apply, colleges do allow for explanations, whether it is on the application itself or in a separate essay. This is where you give explanations for what was the cause for the low grade point average. For example, if you experienced any personal or family hardships that interfered with your studies (had to work to support the family, medical situations, etc.) If the low grades were just due to being a slacker and just doing enough to get by, then explain that you have matured and realize it's time to take things seriously, set goals, and strive for those goals. Also if your grades have improved tremendously within the last year, point that out as well.

On the application, do put that you are Mexican. Colleges do look for diversity. Also if you are the first person in your family to graduate from high school or to go to college, also emphasize that on the application as well.

When you are writing your explanations (or essay), take it seriously. Whatever reasons you put, elaborate. Remember, you are trying to convince them to admit you to the university.

If you do not get into any of these universities, then spend a year going to a community college, take your basics, do your homework in your classes, get excellent grades, and then apply again. You now have a college grade point average that will prove that you are capable of handling college course work.

Don't procrastinate in applying. Do it now. Many colleges have cut off dates for admissions. The sooner you apply the better your chance of getting in.

Good luck,
A high school teacher
rippy cripple
RE: High ACT, Low GPA? 9/15/2007 11:39PM - in reply to old wonderer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

old wonderer wrote:

What does a HS average of 75 convert to in GPA? 80? 85?
What do two 700s SATs(1400) pre'74 convert to in ACT? 1200? 1000?
How do they deal with small grad class size like a mid year or summerschool graduation?
What do you think college will cost per year excluding room&board for a freshman in 2015? 2020?
Thanks

disregard
You're welcome
LowGPA
RE: High ACT, Low GPA? 9/15/2007 11:51PM - in reply to collegebound Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had a low GPA of around 2.6, and am Mexican and White. I never took the AP. I took the SAT but don't recall how well I did. You might consider going to a junior college, for a year of two, first and working your ass off.

Four-year colleges all turned me down after HS. So for one year I went to a junior college and had a 3.5 GPA. I applied to a 4 year college and was accepted. My undergrad GPA was 3.5. For my Graduate Degree my GPA was 3.96. I seemed to get smarter the harder the classes got.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't succeed and are lazy simply because of a low GPA. And being part minority is not some kind of magic wand that grant you a privilege just because some 100% white person on this forum said so.

I own my own consulting business, make over $200k per year, and I turn down a lot of work. Pretty good for a low GPA, lazy ass, part Mexican.

collegebound wrote:

Does a high ACT score compensate for a low GPA? I got a 30 on the ACT, but my GPA is only 2.46. Also, I am half White and half Mexican. This is my senior year in high school and am thinking about the following colleges and wondering if I am being too ambitious:
University of Illinois
University of Minnesota
Wisconsin Lacrosse
Wisconsin-Madison
Colorado College
uhhhhhhhh
RE: High ACT, Low GPA? 9/16/2007 8:38AM - in reply to collegebound Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't even bother with Colorado College, unless you want to give the admissions office a big laugh.
thanks again
RE: High ACT, Low GPA? 9/16/2007 12:21PM - in reply to rippy cripple Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

old wonderer wrote:
What do two 700s SATs(1400) pre'74 convert to in ACT? 1200? 1000?

Thanks

Assuming 700/700,600/600,500/500
pre 1974 SAT=post 74=post 94 = ACT
1400=1450=1530=34
1200=1230=1300=29
1000=1010=1110=21

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/highered/ra/sat/satACT_concordance.pdf

http://www.collegeboard.com/about/news_info/cbsenior/equiv/rt027027.html

You're welcome[/quote]

two re-centerings both increasing reported score(pre 1974 recentering actually was700/700= 760/690)

Todays JHS kids will pay $150,000 for a BA!
ttc
RE: High ACT, Low GPA? 9/16/2007 12:49PM - in reply to stewfry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

stewfry wrote:

I'm sorry buddy but a 30 on the ACT is not considered high.

Unless things have really changed, 30 is excellent.
a boy toy
RE: High ACT, Low GPA? 9/16/2007 2:45PM - in reply to ttc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
30 is pretty good. i got into a top 20 school with a 31, but i did have roughly a 4.0, was all state in multiple sports, was first chair trumpet player, etc.... god damnit i'm awesome. my awesomeness aside, you'll do well with a 30, but try to write essays that make up some reason for why you didn't have a high gpa, then you started working hard and got a good ACT score, and now you're ready to work towards you MD/PhD degree so you can cure AIDS. that will get you in. being mexican is probably more important than any ACT score though. fvching PC bullshit.
coaching
RE: High ACT, Low GPA? 9/16/2007 3:31PM - in reply to a boy toy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
post yor email here and i will message you. I will have you admitted into my school easily and pending on your times and the ability to varify them i may be able to give you a scholarship.
escargot
RE: High ACT, Low GPA? 9/16/2007 3:42PM - in reply to coaching Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

coaching wrote:

post yor email here and i will message you. I will have you admitted into my school easily and pending on your times and the ability to varify them i may be able to give you a scholarship.

I notice that your spelling and grammar could use a little work. Perhaps, though, you just switched e for a and a for e in the words 'varify' and 'message'. Did you really intend to write:

coaching wrote:

post yor email here and i will massage you. I will have you admitted into my school easily and pending on your times and the ability to verify them i may be able to give you a scholarship.
Millions
RE: High ACT, Low GPA? 9/17/2007 1:46PM - in reply to escargot Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You people are terrible. Seriously, my final highschool GPA was 1.7, and I received a 28 on my ACT. The low GPA was from, quite simply, boredom. I proved that you could completely disregard homework, most essays and all, and still pass, based entirely on high test scores. With a 2.46 GPA and a 30 on your ACT, you can get into most colleges. The only downfall to that low GPA are the scholorships that you will be receiving, which will be drastically reduced. Good luck on finding that college!
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |