Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |
wejo
co-founder
B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 5:25PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I received an email from an Olympic Trials Marathon qualifier. Apparently, the NYRR is planning of only putting out special personalized drink bottles for the "A" qualifiers (those under 2:20) and not the "B" qualifiers.

Here is the email:

I was wondering if you had heard about the following issue and basically I was looking for your third party unbiased opinion. As a 'B' qualifier for the Olympic Trials Marathon, I recently found out that only 'A' qualifiers are getting personal bottles put out on the course, while 'B' qualifiers get some cups of water, gatorade, etc. Personally, I don't really care for myself, but in the past guys like Briney were 'B' qualifiers and if I remember correctly Dan Browne who has a legitimate shot, will be considered a B qualifier with his 10k time. Is this fair? Or website worthy? I don't think many of the 'B' qualifiers even know. Again I plan on running fast hell or high water, but some dudes are upset.

---
Personally I think this is unfair. The Olympic Trials in America have always been based on seeing who is the best athlete on that day under the same circumstances. The whole US system (top 3 on 1 day) is based on fairness. In Beijing they won't have special drinks for some athletes and not others.

(Actually if in Beijing special bottles are not allowed then I think all the athletes in NY should go without them as well. Problem solved).

So I think all the athletes deserve the same treatment. I heard they are saying its a matter of logistics and it is too difficult to get bottles for everyone. Well they had bottles for everyone in Birmingham Alabama at the last trials from what I'm told. I'm sure they can handle it in NY as well. I just looked and there are only 29 B trials qualifiers. Most of the course is a loop course. It seems to me all it will take is having 1 or 2 extra tables at 2 points in the park. I personally will set up the tables if they want me to. We could make it a letsrun.com thing. All of us man the "B" tables and root for Rudy.

The more I think about it seems like a no brainer to have the bottles for everyone.

But if they don't have the bottles for "B" qualifiers then they had better not have them for all the "B" qualifiers, ie Dan Browne, and Jorge Torres and others if they run.

What do you think?

Maybe we should print up tshirts for the B trials qualifiers. I mean they have to shell out $400 a night for a room as well (no i'm not saying they should get free rooms). I'm sure someone could come up with a tshirt that is pretty funny.

"Second Class" on the front.

LetsRun.com on the back.

Maybe I should just make generic "Second Class" tshirts and sell them to the masses. Forget about letsrun.com
B Guy
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 5:44PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I personally don't care about not getting water bottles but I am sure there are some that will get all pissy about it.

If Browne, Torres or any other track qualifiers the chose to run get water bottles, that would be unacceptable.

Not sure what else to say.
I love peeps
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 5:51PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is the essence of our country.

The Winners take everything, and those who finish right behind, just a hair behind, get nothing.

Capitalism at its finest.

Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, and Carnegie would be proud.

If anything this should be a reason to run faster, or try harder. Winning really is everything here.

We aren't China, oh wait, winning is everything there too as well. If you want to procreate that is.

C'est la vie
Ray
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 6:33PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The complaints should go through MLDR. Yes, everyone should get the same teatment.
C. Esherick
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 6:39PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"That is crap, that is crap. It is unfair. And it's got to stop. It's got to stop right now."
malmo
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 6:40PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That's just flat out wrong.

I'll chip in $100 for the T-shirts.
Camoo
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 6:40PM - in reply to Ray Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd frankly be amazed if Dan Browne doesn't get a personalized bottle.
Jorge Torres isn't going to the Trials
locomotor
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 6:41PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The whole point of the Trials is that the outcome is wholly determined by who's better on that day.

To give "A" qualifiers an edge over "B" qualifiers compromises that goal.

Remember, some of these "B" qualifiers are really quite good--a lot of them are saving it for this race. Any argument that the B guys aren't going to make it anyway is just idiotic.
Man up
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 6:42PM - in reply to Ray Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Quit playing the victim and run faster. If the track qualifiers (which is crap to begin with) want bottles, man up and run a legitimate qualifying marathon time.
stopcrying
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 6:49PM - in reply to Man up Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Be serious...this is how track and field is. If you’re at the top you will be treated differently then a person on the bottom...this is the motivation to make athletes perform at a higher level and rise to the top...train harder and maybe this wouldn’t be a problem...
Earl
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 6:56PM - in reply to Camoo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What's up with Jorge...not much of a season after a pretty good 10k at Stanford.
kartelite
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 7:01PM - in reply to stopcrying Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

stopcrying wrote:

Be serious...this is how track and field is. If you’re at the top you will be treated differently then a person on the bottom...this is the motivation to make athletes perform at a higher level and rise to the top...train harder and maybe this wouldn’t be a problem...

You're right, we should give one fewer barrier for everyone who runs under 8:25 in the steeple as well.
Leirbag
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 7:13PM - in reply to kartelite Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Listen, "A" qualifiers are treated differently from "B" qualifiers from the day they qualify. An "A" qualifier arrives to the best accomodations, all financials taken care of, while the "B" qualifier enters in a more stessed state of mind.
Ol Grumpus
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 7:17PM - in reply to Leirbag Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Leirbag wrote:

Listen, "A" qualifiers are treated differently from "B" qualifiers from the day they qualify. An "A" qualifier arrives to the best accomodations, all financials taken care of, while the "B" qualifier enters in a more stessed state of mind.

Yes, and those sorts of difference occur in all races. But once the race begins, everyone should be treated equally.
Stolen Bikes Ride Faster
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 7:21PM - in reply to Ol Grumpus Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sell shirts, I'll buy one! I'll be out in NYC supporting a bunch of B'ers anyway.
mjr
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 7:27PM - in reply to Leirbag Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Leirbag wrote:

Amenities are one thing, but it is against the rules of the sport to offer something to one set of athletes and deny it to another, when they are all qualifiers competing in a championship. To do this is a direct violation of the rules and makes the event sanction invalid, thus negating the results for everyone.
Avocados Number
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 7:42PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Although I've never been a fan of the "B" qualifying standard, this sounds nuts. Any confirmation that this is really the plan?
5k runner
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 7:47PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Either eliminate the B standard or just have one standard and set the time at 2:21, 2:20, or the 50th best time for the last year, or whatever is best. No reason to treat these runners as two groups.
thehehe
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 7:53PM - in reply to mjr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
its f***ing water bottles. it is not like they are giving the a qualifiers epo injections in the weeks leading up to the trials or giving them jet-packs at 5 mile check points. the b qualifiers can bring their own. big deal.
txRUNNERgirl
RE: B Trials Qualifiers Being Treated Separately than A Trials Qualifiers During the Race? 9/13/2007 8:00PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This makes no sense. How much do those bottles cost? Are they made of gold? I've got a sack full of plastic bottles in my kitchen that I've gotten for free and hardly use. I was planning to throw them away, but that was before I found out they are such a commodity.

I like the idea of the LetsRun table, but is that against the rules? Who knows what we might put in those bottles. Or maybe that's why the A guys get bottles in the first place... The T-shirt idea is good too, but it has to say LetsRun somewhere on it, unless having certain logos is also against the rules. If so you can always sell them to fans...hint, hint.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |