+
Can't stop shivering 8/13/2007 3:57PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I went for a run today at noon. It was sunny and warm... 70's.

I've been fighting a stomach bug for two days with diahriah and a mild fever.

Now 60 minutes after the run my hands are totally pale and I can't stop shivering. Am I in real trouble here or can I gut this out?
the340miler
RE: Can't stop shivering 8/13/2007 4:00PM - in reply to + Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Go do another run. You're obviously being a wussnatch.
Oregonian
RE: Can't stop shivering 8/13/2007 4:16PM - in reply to + Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Had this happen once. Eats lots and lots of sugar. Are you having cramps anywhere. When I had this happen it was 95 degrees but I was shivering and cramping everywhere below my lower half. It was my first run over 20 miles haha. Good Luck.
;o;
RE: Can't stop shivering 8/13/2007 5:19PM - in reply to + Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe you've got the flu???

I had this happen once when I wasn't sick...the common answer here was I was probably dehydrated. Best of luck.
wineturtle
RE: Can't stop shivering 8/13/2007 5:26PM - in reply to + Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
We had a nice thread about this just the other day.
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?board=1&id=2066169&thread=2066029
TypicalLetsRunPoster
RE: Can't stop shivering 8/13/2007 6:58PM - in reply to + Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

+ wrote:

I went for a run today at noon. It was sunny and warm... 70's.

I've been fighting a stomach bug for two days with diahriah and a mild fever.

Now 60 minutes after the run my hands are totally pale and I can't stop shivering. Am I in real trouble here or can I gut this out?

You are underweight! You anorexic skinny-ass! It's people like you that are making health care so unfordable. Try eating something. Let me spell it out for you. Calories in > Calories out = putting some meat on those bones.
+
RE: Can't stop shivering 8/13/2007 7:33PM - in reply to TypicalLetsRunPoster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Turns out I had food poisoning or some virus and was way way dehydrated from crapping water all the time and having a fever. Going for a hilly 13 mile base run made me even more dehydrated. My own fault. I got an IV, and I'm doing way better. I could have gone into shock if a co-worker hadn't been on the spot with a blanket and helping me get to the hospital. I was shaking uncontrollably and my hands were going numb. Not smart for me to try to run, but I was trying to do all the right things, hydration, etc. Perhaps, this cautionary tale will help someone else avoid ending up in the E.R. I sure didn't see it coming... just grinding out another run, like so many of us do.

And yes, I'm waaay skinny. They said that makes me a little more prone to dehydration.

Cheers,

+