lohalloran
What does a labral tear feel like? 8/7/2007 9:26PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Long story short- I got a femoral neck stress fracture during a hilly half marathon in June. Had it diagnosed with and MRI. The same MRI showed something around the labrum in my right hip but it was inconclusive according to the doctor, could have been a tear, could have been nothing. The day after the half marathon i got a snapping in my groin when i put weight on the leg, couldn't replicate it by moving my hip without bearing weight. The snappng went away in about 24 hours and never returned.

It's been about 5 weeks and I'm walking and starting to cross train. I'm walking fairly normally, still have a bit of an ache but it feels good. I am still a month or two away from running.

The doctor says it is unlikely I have a labral tear because I never had a fall/twist, I have no pain when he moves my hip joint around and I have no clicking, but he says "we'll see what happens when the fracture heals and you get back to running, if you have pain we will look into it further"

So basically what do I have to look out for? Is it possible for someone to even tear a labrum without a fall or twist?
lohalloran
RE: What does a labral tear feel like? 8/8/2007 10:51AM - in reply to lohalloran Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump..

i've read alot about them but symptoms always seem kinda vague.
done that
RE: What does a labral tear feel like? 8/8/2007 8:58PM - in reply to lohalloran Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had surgery for a torn labrum about a year ago. As far as I remember, it was just overuse that caused it. I didn't fall or twist (that I remember). For the longest time, I thought it was a strained groin. Finally, after many many attempts at rehab, I had an MRI (you need a special one with contrast dye) that showed the tear.

I hope your situation turns out okay and you get back to running okay.
also wondering
RE: What does a labral tear feel like? 8/9/2007 8:30AM - in reply to done that Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I thought the pain was more in the hip joint than the groin. Is that not correct?
marijuologist
RE: What does a labral tear feel like? 8/9/2007 8:50AM - in reply to lohalloran Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
a torn labrum doesn't feel like anything since the structure is does not contain any nerve endings and thus is not sensitive to pain
lohalloran
RE: What does a labral tear feel like? 8/9/2007 8:17PM - in reply to marijuologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the responses. Any more color on the pain? I only have discomfort when I'm walking, never when just standing or sitting. When you had a torn labrum was there a constant pain? Did you have clicking?
done that
RE: What does a labral tear feel like? 8/9/2007 8:59PM - in reply to also wondering Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well, my pain was primarily in the groin (and a bit in the hip/hip flexor region later on). I remember reading an article once that mentioned that labral tears can be tricky to diagnose because pain in the groin can be mistaken as a groin strain. And that is exactly what I experienced.