stupid question asker
How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 8:19PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this (and I'm sure I deserve it) but while looking at a map of the Niagara Falls area I can't find any way for ships to get from one lale to the other without going over the falls. I'm sure there must be a way since the St. Lawrence is a major shipping route.

Go ahead, flame away. Just give me the answer, too.
traxor
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 8:22PM - in reply to stupid question asker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Erie Canal? I don't know where that is exactly, but that could be an answer
photofinish
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 8:27PM - in reply to stupid question asker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You're right, there is no other way. They actually do go over the falls. You just haven't searched for the right stuff on youtube yet. Good thing they make boats stronger now than they used to. And now you know why all of your potato chips are smashed when you buy them in the store.
sertrt
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 8:27PM - in reply to stupid question asker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
erie canal. canals are useful for elevation changes in river and lakes
chuck d
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 8:30PM - in reply to stupid question asker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
trailrunner64
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 9:18PM - in reply to chuck d Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Welland Canal
stupid question asker
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 10:26PM - in reply to trailrunner64 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, I should have figured there was a canal somewhere. But what about the first explorer who decided to go down the St. Lawrence?

Ship Captain: "Come on, men! Let's see where this river goes!"

and hours later ...

Ship Captain: "OH SHIT!!!"

I can see a huge wooden ship crashing at the bottom of the falls.
jiggler
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 10:30PM - in reply to stupid question asker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
erie canal goes from hudson river to lake erie. as others have noted, it is the welland canal that goes around niagara falls
georun
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 10:37PM - in reply to stupid question asker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Welland Canal is correct. By the way, if you go from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, you wouldn't go "over" the Falls, you would have to go "up" the Falls.
Sub6
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 10:39PM - in reply to stupid question asker Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

stupid question asker wrote:

Yeah, I should have figured there was a canal somewhere. But what about the first explorer who decided to go down the St. Lawrence?

Ship Captain: "Come on, men! Let's see where this river goes!"

and hours later ...

Ship Captain: "OH SHIT!!!"

I can see a huge wooden ship crashing at the bottom of the falls.

They were going the other way.
MarathonMind
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 7/31/2007 11:46PM - in reply to Sub6 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
And with that we learned that not only is 'stupid question asker' too stupid (or lazy) to use Google, he is also ignorant of the fact that all rivers drain towards the oceans.
boatsman willy
RE: How do boats avoid Niagara Falls going from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie? 8/1/2007 3:34AM - in reply to MarathonMind Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I thought all rivers drained towards Utica, New York, home of Superintendent Chalmers