hammy painish
Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/19/2007 12:27PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey everyone-
I have been having pain in my hamstrings while sitting/driving. It feels fine to walk, but sitting/driving is miserable. I always have to fix my position. It is incredibly uncomfortable. Running a short amount at slow paces doesn't bother it too much until about mile 4, then it goes straight downhill.

I went to PT the other not yesterday, but the day before and he used his elbow to beat the crap out of both hamstrings. Today it feels more uncomfortable than ever. I know that digging is good, and I can deal with the pain, but is it possible he over did the deep tissue massage?

Any suggestions?
hammy painish
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/19/2007 12:38PM - in reply to hammy painish Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Also, it feels fine to walk.
ery
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/19/2007 12:46PM - in reply to hammy painish Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Piriformis maybe?

Sit on a pillow while driving, maybe a tennis ball under the pillow to massage the problem area?
csquare
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/19/2007 4:13PM - in reply to hammy painish Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It is possible that you may have a slight nerve impingement? Maybe L5/S1 of your spine.
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/19/2007 4:20PM - in reply to csquare Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
this is classic symptoms of sciatica. It has nothing to do with your hamstring, its a long ropelike nerve that runs from your lower back down to your feet. When it becomes enflamed, it cause pain anywhere in the back of you legs, usually in the hamstrings while sitting and driving for periods of time.
Serious?
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/19/2007 4:22PM - in reply to ..... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

..... wrote:

this is classic symptoms of sciatica. It has nothing to do with your hamstring, its a long ropelike nerve that runs from your lower back down to your feet. When it becomes enflamed, it cause pain anywhere in the back of you legs, usually in the hamstrings while sitting and driving for periods of time.

Solution?
Hoovis 2
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/19/2007 4:23PM - in reply to ..... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, and as mentioned above, the best thing you can do to relieve some of the pain is to sit on a tennis ball. Try placing it directly under the hamstring area where it is hurting.

I used to have a 1.5 hour commute each way to work, and found this to be the only relief. Good news is that running hard shouldn't make it any worse...so buck up and tough it out.

Hoovis
whatever man
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/19/2007 4:27PM - in reply to hammy painish Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Put your wallet in your front pocket. Sitting on it might be the basis of your nerve impingement issue.
just the facts
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/19/2007 4:32PM - in reply to hammy painish Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sitting on a tennis ball and pillow can help. The key is to overcome poorly designed automobile seats. They are made to accomodate very large bodies, nothing ergonomical. You must get your hips higher than your knees in the car. I use a very firm cushion/pad on top of a folded towel. I feel like an old lady getting in and situated, but the pain/condition improved almost immediately & completely disappeared in a few weeks.
Here is the Skinny
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/19/2007 4:52PM - in reply to just the facts Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
....... is correct.
Gregor111
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/24/2007 11:52PM - in reply to Here is the Skinny Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have been googling hamstring pain/sciatica and it brought up this page. The original poster's pain is a mirror image of my own. I was wondering if he/she has found relief yet.

Also, people say to sit on a tennis ball . . .

1) Tennis ball under buttock or hamstring where pain is?

Thanks for suggesting solutions to his problem, maybe they'll help me out.

I think in my case it is likely to be Piriformis as my spine is in good shape. I spent some time sitting slouched to the side on my dirt bike last summer waiting for a slower rider. 60 minutes with the edge of the seat digging into my right upper hamstring buttock area. If you don't ride a dirt bike, think of a bicycle with a tall seat height. You have your left foot flat on the ground and the right one on the pedal. This typically has you sitting on the seat off center. Kind of like this kid, but not so exagerated.

http://lepowersports.net/images/100_0197.jpg

I think I need a bike lower to the ground that I can sit on properly.

Sorry for the rant.

Greg
hammy painish
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/25/2007 7:53AM - in reply to Gregor111 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
hey greg-
i just read your post. I actually forgot I posted this because I originally did not get much love.
I actually have been seeing a pt for two weeks and have gotten 3 massage/ultrasound/therapy sessions out of it. It does feel a little better, but not much. Sitting is incredibly uncomfortable. This has been happening on and off since January. I'm actually seeing a chiropractor tomorrow to see how aligned my body is, and all else because the pt isn't really doing it. Hopefully he'll find something and I'll mention sciatica bc it does sound like that might be it. I hadn't even thought of it. I'll let you know how the chiropractor session goes tomorrow.
Gregor111
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/25/2007 9:30AM - in reply to hammy painish Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Good luck with your Dr. Appointment. I think the diagnosis of Piriformis is closes to what I am experiencing

Dirt Bike riding weather is the best it will be in this state right now and will be Summer high mountain riding will be over in about six weeks. I think I'll just have to take it easy and try at least once. I usually stand on my bike and ride pretty slow so it can't be too bad. I know if I tell a doctor I ride she'll freak out big time. I hate that prejudice.

Good luck, heal soon, and post back. Did your conditino result from an injury of some sort? I think Sciatica needs a herneiated disc to cause trouble but piriformis results from the piriform muscle inflamming the sciatic nerve.

Good luck to us both I suppose.

Greg
sj quik
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/25/2007 10:02AM - in reply to csquare Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i had the same problem a couple years ago (for over a year). everytime i would drive it would feel like it was throbbing. tne physical therapist didnt really do shit, but he did demonstrate how much weaker that hamstring was then the one that was not in pain. try some strength exercises. also, it may be sciatica (sp?)--problems with the sciatic nerve.
beatlejuice
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/25/2007 10:07AM - in reply to Gregor111 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
nah, didn't hurt it from anything i know. I also think its too low on the hamstring to be piriformis, but u'll ask.
hammy painish
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/25/2007 10:08AM - in reply to Gregor111 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
nah, didn't hurt it from anything i know. I also think its too low on the hamstring to be piriformis, but u'll ask.
gg
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/25/2007 10:14AM - in reply to hammy painish Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have had sciatica for about 4 years...ran with it all college...semi competitive (15:02 5K track 31:40 10k XC)

It has been a constant struggle but the foam roller has helped tremendously also the tennis ball thing is good...the wallet in the front pocket is an essential...

Also just watch the amount of yard work you do...anything involving alot of stress on your lower back...

Good Luck!
gg
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/25/2007 10:15AM - in reply to gg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Even if it is low on your hammy I would still reccomend getting a foam roller and rolling it out
Gregor111
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 7/26/2007 8:50AM - in reply to gg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My research has led me to believe Sciatica results from a herniated disc contacting the sciatic nerve. I have had a lower back x-ray in the past, two years ago, and there was no sign of a bulging disc. Also, my lower back gives me no pain at all.

If it was Sciatica and it was disc related, wouldn't that hurt like hell in my back?

Greg
Michael22
RE: Hamstring Pain While Sitting/Driving 2/14/2010 11:09AM - in reply to Gregor111 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've had the same issue for 8 months. Pain in upper hamstring/butt. Driving and sitting is very painful and at it's worst would get shooting pains running down my leg to my shin area.

After recently seeing a great PT that got me started on McKenzie Method, my condition is improving. Still some discomfort, but gradually getting better.

I had previously tried massage, sitting on baseball, tennis ball, time off, piriformis stretches ... nothing worked. I think disk is out of position (bulging to the back) and aggrevating the sciatica nerve. McKenzie method is slowly working it back into it's proper position. See this book if interested. It's fairly simple.

http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Back-Robin-McKenzie/dp/0958269238/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266167458&sr=8-1