????...
Pool Running - Calories Burned 6/20/2007 10:13AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Anyone know how many calories are burned pool running? does it equate to land running somehow?

i figured if you convert it to the equivalent distance you'd cover on land and use 110 cal/mile you'll get close.
example.
- 5 mins warmup
- 2 sets of 5x1:30 hard (30sec easy) with 2 mins easy,
- 5 mins cool down

if that was on land with easy at 8:00 pace and hard at 6:00 pace it would be 15 mins at 6:00, and 17 mins at 8:00, or just over 4.5 miles, so calories burned would be probably around 500.

i know pool running heart rate is lower due to water pressure etc, so can't really use that as a guide.

just trying to balance exercise/diet during the next few months of lovely pool running.....
mathemagician
RE: Pool Running - Calories Burned 6/20/2007 10:21AM - in reply to ????... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In the pool, I get my heart rate within about 10 BPM of what I'm usually at when I run. I don't know why anyone wouldn't be able to, just run harder if your HR is too low.
Average_Joe
RE: Pool Running - Calories Burned 6/20/2007 10:50AM - in reply to mathemagician Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

mathemagician wrote:

In the pool, I get my heart rate within about 10 BPM of what I'm usually at when I run. I don't know why anyone wouldn't be able to, just run harder if your HR is too low.

How do you know this? What heart rate monitor can you use in a pool?
Lazy Llama
RE: Pool Running - Calories Burned 6/20/2007 10:56AM - in reply to Average_Joe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've used 3 different brands of HRM in a pool. All worked perfectly.
careful..ATsucks
RE: Pool Running - Calories Burned 6/20/2007 12:50PM - in reply to Lazy Llama Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
there's a few older threads that had some info on this. i think the answer was that the calories burned are similar, even though HR is 10-15bpm lower due to water pressure.
Sir Lance-alot
RE: Pool Running - Calories Burned 6/20/2007 12:58PM - in reply to Average_Joe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Average_Joe wrote:

mathemagician wrote:

How do you know this? What heart rate monitor can you use in a pool?

What HRM CAN'T you use in a pool ?? The few Polar ones I've head (and I bought the cheapie basic models ) all worked perfectly in a pool.

And I agree with the other poster. I find it easier to get my HR up when swimming than when deep water running, but if one pumps their arms vigorously, and focuses on pumping those legs, yeah, I get my HR to around only 5-10 BPM less than my running HR for about the same feeling of exertion. So yeah, why wouldn't the calories burned be very similar to what one does for land running for the same amount of time? It's gotta be close.
????...
RE: Pool Running - Calories Burned 6/20/2007 1:09PM - in reply to Sir Lance-alot Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks. guess i can keep eating lots then!