RFXCrunner
Foam roller substitute 6/1/2007 8:44PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've been doing some rehab work for a recent knee injury, and they have turned me onto the whole foam roller thing. Now I'm not against spending the money to get new rollers, but I have noticed that they break down after a while and don't work as well anymore. I was looking for a substitute earlier today, and my nalgene bottle is just about the right size, and its much more durable than the rollers. Assuming I can tolerate it, would it be a good idea to use something harder than the foam to roll out my hamstrings, IT band, and soleus?
Finance Guy
RE: Foam roller substitute 6/1/2007 10:22PM - in reply to RFXCrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have used the Nalgene bottle when traveling since the foam roll takes up a lot of space in the suitcase. It hurts a lot. I inquired about this to a friend that is a therapist and was advised that it is possible to bruise the area by using a very hard roller.

I have thought that a good alternative might be a PVC pipe cut down to size. It would be more convenient for traveling as you could stuff clothes inside it for efficient storage. One could wrap a towel around it to make it a little softer.
dtbrooklyn
RE: Foam roller substitute 6/1/2007 10:54PM - in reply to Finance Guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A dual-density foam roller is only 20 bucks or so, and they last a good bit longer than the normal ones. Typically they are blue, and have a center cavity made up of a separate foam piece. They are also available in travel size, which basically is the full size cut in half. I'd recommend sucking it up and shelling out the cash.

alternatively, i've used coke/water 1 liter bottles, still full and unopened. they hurt a good bit, but were effective when i was out of the country and couldn't get my roller. Make sure they're unopened, otherwise the cap can come flying off, and that makes a giant mess.

dt
Chaser514
RE: Foam roller substitute 6/2/2007 12:16AM - in reply to dtbrooklyn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
seriously, use a tennis ball... it's tougher at first to get used to and hurts a little more but it gets the job done
klo98
RE: Foam roller substitute 6/2/2007 12:21AM - in reply to Chaser514 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I use a nalgene bottle for my hamstrings and IT band and a glass peanut butter jar for my calves. Works way better than a foam roller in my opinion. Does hurt a bit more, but you get use to it.
RE: Foam roller substitute 6/2/2007 1:26AM - in reply to Chaser514 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Try a softball. It works well when you're trying to pinpoint a spot.
please dont squeeze the garmin
RE: Foam roller substitute 6/2/2007 1:32AM - in reply to ., Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
IME what works for quad & ITB - foam roller to start, PVC or nalgene or rolling pin for graduate level work - is not what you need for hams and hips and glutes. For those you want that softball or rubber ball.