foot pain
Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/16/2007 5:24PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had a bone scan for persistent foot pain that's been going on since October. Here is the radiologist's report:

FINDINGS:

There is symmetric flow to the lower extremitites blilaterally on the flow images. The blood-pool images show mild hypermia in the left mid foot region. The bone scan images show very mild increased radiotracer activity in the subtalar joints, the left being slightly more intense than the right and very mild increased radiotracer activity in the tibiotaler joint, the right being slightly more than the left. There is also mild increased radiotracer activity in the plantar sufaces of the calcaneus bilarterally suggesting mild plantar fasciitis. There is also increased radiotracer activity in the medial sesamoid of the right great toe. All of these areas of increased actiity are fairly mild and do not suggest stress fractures.

IMPRESSION:

1. Bilateral plantar fasciitis is present.

2. Degenerative changes are seen in both ankles in both the tibiotalar and subtalar joints as described above.

3. Mild increased activity in the medial sesamoid and right great toe.
d$$
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/16/2007 6:52PM - in reply to foot pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Looks to me like the radiologist interpreted your bone scan. If you are looking for further interpretation as to what it might mean in terms of your running, we would need to know more about this "persistent pain". For that I would ask the doctor who sent you for the bone scan. People on letsrun will give you a few different oppinions, one of which has a chance of being right. So leave it to the professionals.
Arthur_
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/16/2007 7:14PM - in reply to foot pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Advice from a wannabe-injury-preventive coach:

No stress fractures.. that's GOOD news
PF for sure.
Note sure what he's saying about the ankles.

Cut back on your competitive expectations and you'll make it through the injury, no problemo.

also, read this:
http://sportscenteraustin.blogs.com/the_view/2005/02/if_you_have_pla.html
marijuologist
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/16/2007 7:22PM - in reply to Arthur_ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Arthur_ wrote:

Advice from a wannabe-injury-preventive coach:

No stress fractures.. that's GOOD news
PF for sure.
Note sure what he's saying about the ankles.

Cut back on your competitive expectations and you'll make it through the injury, no problemo.

Actually this is really, really, bad. The report says he has osteoarthritis in his ankles and subtalar joints. I'm not saying he can never run again, but his condition will only get worse over time, and eventually he won't be able to run at all. Eventually he won't even be able to walk unless he has the arthritic joints permanently fused.

Sorry to alarm the OP, but it's a pretty serious situation. I wouldn't run another step till you talk to your doc.
foot pain
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/17/2007 1:52PM - in reply to marijuologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Osteoarthritis? Are you sure?? The report doesn't say anything about osteoarthritis.
migo
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/17/2007 1:58PM - in reply to foot pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think he was referring to "Degenerative changes," which could mean osteoarthritis, but it could probably mean a host of other changes. Again, check with your doc to see exactly what is going on.

Just a side question in general: how do you see PF on a bone scan? The only bone scan I have had was to diagnose a stress fx, and I was unaware soft tissue damage could be seen. Different type of scan? Just curious.
Image: http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/gallery/album11/WCd90674

marijuologist
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/17/2007 2:08PM - in reply to migo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"degenerative change" in a joint is synonymous with osteoarthritis. it doesn't mean anything else.
migo
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/17/2007 2:24PM - in reply to marijuologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Oh, good to know. That sucks for the OP then...
get uglier
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/17/2007 2:31PM - in reply to foot pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Everything on here so far sounds like informed guesswork at best. I won't venture my own informed guesswork, I would call the radiologist and ask for him to explain what he meant by "degenerative changes", and perhaps "mild increased activity".

My reaction is that I don't think you should expect to never be able to run again, but that is as much as I want to put out there.
PF cause
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/17/2007 2:48PM - in reply to foot pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your asking for trouble by asking for advice for this on Letsrun, but since I've dealt with PF and all the BS procedures such as bone scans that the industry put me through I'll give you my 2 cents worth (literally worth 2 cents):

It sounds like you have plantar fasciitis, as everyone else has concluded. PF affects the plantar fascia, not the bone, but an over-stressed plantar fascia can put unusual stresses on the connecting bones, which may be what the bone scan is picking up. The bones in the are may have also become subluxated, which means that they don't operate within their normal range of motion. This can be caused by repetitive motions that cause the foot to tighten (running is an example), or scar tisuse buildup. If it were me I would go to a good chiropractor to make sure all your foot joints are nice and loose. A good PT can help you too. There, maybe that's more than 2 cents worth. Good luck
foot pain
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/17/2007 3:13PM - in reply to foot pain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I actually don't have any symptoms of plantar fasciitis. Mostly the pain is in my rearfoot area, but not on the bottom of my foot.
PF cause
RE: Interpret my bone scan (FEET) 5/17/2007 3:19PM - in reply to Arthur_ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Arthur_ wrote:

........also, read this:
http://sportscenteraustin.blogs.com/the_view/2005/02/if_you_have_pla.html

I just read this link, and I don't agree with his solution. He's right that clinicians usually can't treat PF effectively, but I think he's wrong about how to treat it. All he's doing is putting more detail into the same "story", to make it sound like he's smarter than the rest.