Ivan
How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/20/2007 10:00AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Any of you who have kids may have some advice. My 6 year old recently asked to run with me during a run. I had finished and thought why not. He made it to a .25 mile and wanted to keep going. The same happened throughout (with a couple of small breaks) until he reached a mile.

How often and how far can these little guys run? I don't want to discourage him from doing it (obviously) but don't want to cause any problems either.
MLW
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/20/2007 10:04AM - in reply to Ivan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My sone was not even 3 yet and he ran a mile around the track. He will be 4 next week and he has managed to run 5 just 4 weeks ago. I would say let him/her run as long as he/she could they will let you know when they are done. Pay attention when they say "DADDY THIS HURTS!"
miles of trials
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/20/2007 11:32AM - in reply to MLW Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd say as long as they're enjoying it, it can't be hurting badly and they can't be doing that much damage. Whats the differencfe between running a mile and an hour of tag? The body can't tell the difference between running from a 3rd grader and running around a track.
yetanotherchick
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/20/2007 12:15PM - in reply to miles of trials Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You need to not only listen to him, but also to read his body language. Sometimes small children will keep running past the point of having fun because they think it's pleasing the parent. So even if he's not saying that he's hurting, keep an eye on him. If he seems frustrated or overly tired, take a rest break even if he doesn't say he needs one.
Little Feet
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/20/2007 1:00PM - in reply to Ivan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's been suggested to me to try to limit running much over 3K before a kid reaches 12 or so. Most kids' races are shorter...usually a 1/2 mile or 1 mile fun run.

Recently we missed the start of a local kids race and a volunteer at the sign-up booth suggested we run the 5k instead. My immediate response was that it was too far but my child was fairly insistent on giving it a go.

Surprisingly, she ran the whole race, walking only through the water stations. (Now, "ran" is a flexible word...she finished in 34 minutes) Afterwards she said her legs hurt but she was glad she did it...possibly because of the fanfare and fuss made over her at the end.

Since then I've let her do a couple of 2 mile races which she is finishing in 20 minutes. I'm going to stick to that until she is 12 and then if she still likes running turn her over to the XC coach at her school.
opinion
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/26/2007 10:43PM - in reply to Ivan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well, check with the doc. My ten year old wins women's overall, but can't go more than 5K, on orders. Growth plates, etc. There's a lot of opinions and it's hard to tell who's right.
honkey
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/26/2007 11:12PM - in reply to opinion Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Let the kid decide... most kids don't have the drive to over-do it at such a young age anyway.
idiot3
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/26/2007 11:13PM - in reply to opinion Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I can't believe this thread isn't getting more responses. Come on letsrunners, how much were you running whne you were 6? it couldn't have been more than 5-6 years ago.
call social services
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/26/2007 11:19PM - in reply to MLW Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

MLW wrote:
My son..... will be 4 next week and he has managed to run 5(miles) just 4 weeks ago.


That's child abuse. No 3 year old should be running 5 miles to satisy daddy's dreams of raising the next Tiger Woods of running. Jesus, you're an idiot.
Serious?
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 8:11AM - in reply to call social services Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

call social services wrote:


MLW wrote:
My son..... will be 4 next week and he has managed to run 5(miles) just 4 weeks ago.


That's child abuse. No 3 year old should be running 5 miles to satisy daddy's dreams of raising the next Tiger Woods of running. Jesus, you're an idiot.


satisy? Who's the idiot? Not saying it's right to "make" a child run. What if he wanted to? Is it really that damaging to let him do it once?
broderick
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 8:51AM - in reply to Serious? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
the farthest i ran as a 6 yr old was a mile in 8:52
pedderazz
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 9:30AM - in reply to MLW Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

MLW wrote:
Pay attention when they say "DADDY THIS HURTS!"



Yeah, that's when you know they've had enough!
used to run to school
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 9:40AM - in reply to pedderazz Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
When I was 6 and 7 I used to jog to school and back everyday cuz I enjoyed it more than walking. It was only about 1km each way but I loved it. I kept doing it for a couple years until I switched schools and had to take a bus.
Flagpole Willy
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 9:45AM - in reply to Ivan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have an almost 7-year-old who loves to run too. He's very good at it and destroys all his friends anytime the distance goes more than 50 yards. His older sister (who doesn't seem to be gifted with running) is going to be running track this summer, but he's still too young to join, and he's very upset about that. I've run with him several times. The furthest we've gone is 2 miles, and he actually (because he doesn't know how to pace at all) throws in surges every now and then that I actually have to work a little bit to cover. It's crazy. I don't worry about wanting to "train" him at all, because when I take him to a playground, while most of the kids are playing on the equipment, he wants to go run to the fartest tree and back several times. He still likes to play on the playground stuff, but he'd much rather go running. I've taken him to the local high school track a few times, and he eats it up.

Just let your kid have fun and let him tell you when and how far he wants to run (within reason -- my son wanted to run a marathon this summer -- I said no).
Zooom!
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 10:15AM - in reply to Ivan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As far as they want. When they get tired, they'll stop.
They are smarter than adults.
Stephen Payne, Jr.
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 10:43AM - in reply to Flagpole Willy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I only run this young because I don't want to end up a fat, balding, middle-age slob like you dad. If I have to play my 1980s synthesizer in a band around Columbus and Dublin when I am in my 40s, I will kill myself. As for me "eating up the track," dad, it's because I've watched you eat enough doghnuts that I can't help but snack on anything that is remotely round. Now shut up, dad. IF I AM NOT STEVE PAYNE,JR. WEJO--YOU CAN BAN ME FOREVER!


Flagpole Willy wrote:

I have an almost 7-year-old who loves to run too. He's very good at it and destroys all his friends anytime the distance goes more than 50 yards. His older sister (who doesn't seem to be gifted with running) is going to be running track this summer, but he's still too young to join, and he's very upset about that. I've run with him several times. The furthest we've gone is 2 miles, and he actually (because he doesn't know how to pace at all) throws in surges every now and then that I actually have to work a little bit to cover. It's crazy. I don't worry about wanting to "train" him at all, because when I take him to a playground, while most of the kids are playing on the equipment, he wants to go run to the fartest tree and back several times. He still likes to play on the playground stuff, but he'd much rather go running. I've taken him to the local high school track a few times, and he eats it up.

Just let your kid have fun and let him tell you when and how far he wants to run (within reason -- my son wanted to run a marathon this summer -- I said no).
Flagpole Willy
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 11:19AM - in reply to Stephen Payne, Jr. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Stephen Payne, Jr. wrote:

I only run this young because I don't want to end up a fat, balding, middle-age slob like you dad. If I have to play my 1980s synthesizer in a band around Columbus and Dublin when I am in my 40s, I will kill myself. As for me "eating up the track," dad, it's because I've watched you eat enough doghnuts that I can't help but snack on anything that is remotely round. Now shut up, dad.



1) I don't eat donuts or even your misspelled "doghnuts".

2) I'm not balding; I'm all the way there brother. I'm bald.

3) I have two keyboards, one of which is just a notch below top of the line, and it's definitely not an 80s synthesizer -- not that those are even bad as they are coming back into style for current musicians, so that shows what you know -- even the newer things all emulate the old gear brother. Next on the want list is a Nord Stage 88 or even the Nord Stage 73.

4) There's no HAVE to play in a band. I do it for fun brother. Believe it or not, but fun doesn't end once you hit 30. My buddies and I like to play some killer stuff (and dude, sorry, but we're good), have a couple beers and hang out. Playing in a band lets us do that and pays us for it too (not that I need the money, because I don't); it's just extra walking around with money (well, I have many times over paid for all the gear I've bought with gig money).

5) I haven't pushed my kid into running at all. He just naturally loves it, and as far as him wanting to run so he doesn't become a "fat, balding, middle-age slob like you [me]", ha! Even though I'm not as fast as I once was and have more body fat than I did when I was running 140 miles a week, I'm still in better shape than any of his friends' dads. He sees me go for a run most days or lift weights or if I'm injured use the Orbitrek. Kid just loves to run -- as I once did.

Not sure why you're so jealous of me brother. Go find your own way. Just make sure to invest your money so you can retire with a shit pile of it like I will.
Stephen Payne, Junior
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 11:29AM - in reply to Flagpole Willy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not jealous of you, dad. Just annoyed. You come on this board and spout all kinds of noise that nobody gives a care about; you have promised several times to leave and never post again; and you constantly refer to the old days when you claim to have run all these miles, yet nobody can verify any of this. You suck, dad, plain and simple. And stop calling me brother--Don't call me your brother. I'm not your ******* brother. We'll fell from difference ***** and your skin's a different color. WEJO, IF I AM NOT STEVEN PAYNE, YOU CAN BAN ME FOR LIFE.
Flagpole Willy
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 12:07PM - in reply to Stephen Payne, Junior Reply | Return to Index | Report Post



You come on this board and spout all kinds of noise that nobody gives a care about; you have promised several times to leave and never post again; and you constantly refer to the old days when you claim to have run all these miles, yet nobody can verify any of this.


Dude, jsquire didn't believe stuff I've said either, so he went to the Wood County Library and found out that I won the Wood County Cross Country championships as a senior in high school in a still-standing meet record of 15:48 (http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=431047&page=0). He didn't think I could have done that, so since he lives close he went and looked it up. All there in black and white brother (and we ARE all brothers). And that was just high school. I only got 50 seconds faster in the 5,000 ever -- 14:58 is my PR. Was running 100-140 miles a week in the early 90s when I was working for and training with former Western States 100 winner Doug Latimer. Not sure how to verify it. How do you verify anything anyone says here, especially if they did their best running 15+ years ago? Can't.

Anyway, I'm sorry that the bitterness has you. Getting all worked up about what someone says on an internet message board seems like wasted energy to me.

Here's hoping you peace.
Marlboro Man
RE: How Far To Let 6 Year Old Run 4/27/2007 6:30PM - in reply to Ivan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
To the store and back to get me a pack of smokes and a 12-pack of Rheingold.