got injured, gained weight
how much faster will I get if I lose 10 pounds? 12/9/2006 12:28AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I gained some weight after getting injured and have regained fitness, but I haven't quite lost all the weight. If I'm in good shape now (sub 4:20 mile), how much faster will I be if I lose 10 pounds and get to my previous weight. Don't tell me I don't need to worry about it because I know what my body should look like and what it shouldn't. I'm not near as lean and striated as I used to be, and I have lost my runner's build.
Oliver
RE: how much faster will I get if I lose 10 pounds? 12/9/2006 12:40AM - in reply to got injured, gained weight Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
4:13.67854654363635663097896758112
caesar
RE: how much faster will I get if I lose 10 pounds? 12/9/2006 9:57AM - in reply to Oliver Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey man I just went through the same thing. I had to take about 6 months away from athletics and came back considerably bigger (25-30 pounds, don't ask me how). Six months into my training, I was still TOTALLY stuck with 10 of those extra pounds. My training was going well, workouts were almost as good as they used to be, but the weight never would leave.

Eventually though, it did go away and did so without my having done anything "extra" (as if running 80mpw is normal...). Anyways, just keep doing your training and your physique will improve to what you know it should look like. Don't do anything drastic (diet changes, bump in mileage)...it'll come in time.

Also, when my last few pounds disappeared, I saw only marginal improvement in my workouts, which leads me to believe that the improvement was solely due to the consistent training, not necessarily the weight. However, there is definitely a mental gain when you "look" fitter.

Fare well man, and don't sweat the baby fat.
Johnny Rotten
RE: how much faster will I get if I lose 10 pounds? 12/9/2006 10:56AM - in reply to caesar Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm 41 years old. Last year at this time I was 10 lbs heavier than I am now and ran 5Ks in the 16:00-16:20 range. This year I'm running 15:30-15:55 range, yet the training is really not much different. I've done a few things differently, yes, and I'm doing nothing but running (as opposed to run/bike/swim that I was doing), but the mere fact that I'm lighter has made a fundamental difference.
fdkjgklfdjk
RE: how much faster will I get if I lose 10 pounds? 12/11/2006 1:05PM - in reply to Johnny Rotten Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
15:30-15:55 range means 15:54.9
hmmm
RE: how much faster will I get if I lose 10 pounds? 12/12/2006 11:33AM - in reply to Johnny Rotten Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Johnny Rotten wrote:

I'm 41 years old. Last year at this time I was 10 lbs heavier than I am now and ran 5Ks in the 16:00-16:20 range. This year I'm running 15:30-15:55 range, yet the training is really not much different. I've done a few things differently, yes, and I'm doing nothing but running (as opposed to run/bike/swim that I was doing), but the mere fact that I'm lighter has made a fundamental difference.

So you lost ten pounds of fat, and you are only running about 10 seconds per mile faster? I think you were fitter last year. I improve 2 seconds per mile per pound of fat lost.
Johnnydajogger
RE: how much faster will I get if I lose 10 pounds? 12/12/2006 4:01PM - in reply to hmmm Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I read somewhere (sorry I cant give you a cite) that 5 pounds equals 20 seconds/mile which would be 4 seconds/pound. I think thats a little high though.
flightless
RE: how much faster will I get if I lose 10 pounds? 12/12/2006 5:05PM - in reply to Johnnydajogger Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The widely cited 2 seconds per pound per mile (for mostly aerobic events) can be derived pretty easily from the tables in DRF.

If you search on "weight performance" you'll see some other useful threads that provide good answers to this question both anecdotal and scientific.
Tracktown revisited
RE: how much faster will I get if I lose 10 pounds? 12/12/2006 6:04PM - in reply to flightless Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've heard 1.5 sec per pound; however I would believe as the weight increased the function would be exponential and not linear. For 10 lbs from "ideal"it seems like 15 seconds per mile.

I would imagine 20 lbs would be greater than 30 seconds per mile. It would get slower as the weight continued to increase.
smarta**
RE: how much faster will I get if I lose 10 pounds? 12/12/2006 6:17PM - in reply to Tracktown revisited Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't get anorexic on us.